RIP Maury Wills ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My first baseball hero. R.I.P.

Mine was Sandy Koufax, but Maury was right up there. When he was on first base he became one of the most exciting players you could watch. I recall there was some discussion at the time for whether Maury Wills or Willie Davis was the fastest player on the team, ... those were great times to be a Dodger fan.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mine was Sandy Koufax, but Maury was right up there. When he was on first base he became one of the most exciting players you could watch. I recall there was some discussion at the time for whether Maury Wills or Willie Davis was the fastest player on the team, ... those were great times to be a Dodger fan.
I became a fan at 8 years old in '62. I didn't appreciate Koufax until a year or two later. My grandfather and I saw him pitch from ground level seats behind the left field foul pole. He sold out Dodger stadium every time he pitched. I remember he and Drysdale holding out for $100,000 each after the '65 championship year. They didn't get it, LOL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I became a fan at 8 years old in '62. I didn't appreciate Koufax until a year or two later. My grandfather and I saw him pitch from ground level seats behind the left field foul pole. He sold out Dodger stadium every time he pitched. I remember he and Drysdale holding out for $100,000 each after the '65 championship year. They didn't get it, LOL.

I turned 10 in Nov. of 1962, and my Dodger fandom also began as a grandfather story. We'd sit in these big old Adirondeck chairs in his back yard listening to the game, my grandmother always brought us sandwiches and my pappy would give me my first beers, always the local brand, ... Brew 102, and they were wonderful on a hot day.
The Koufax/Drysdale holdout is pretty funny when you think about it, few deserved it more, and when you consider the salaries which soon followed for all of sports, it's kind of laughable how they were disrespected.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Damn. I feel for Dodgers fans; it's like when the Cards lost both Lou Brock and Bob Gibson - and even before that, losing Musial. It sucks to see your childhood heroes pass.

Rest in peace, Maury.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Damn. I feel for Dodgers fans; it's like when the Cards lost both Lou Brock and Bob Gibson - and even before that, losing Musial. It sucks to see your childhood heroes pass.

Rest in peace, Maury.

Wasn't it a Cardinal who ended up beating Maury Wills' stolen base record ?