Right Tackle Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

albefree69 said:
I put cover in quotation marks because what I meant by cover was that they had to defend them (as in tackle them). I don't see much difference between the two except the DB usually has to run farther.

A d-lineman trying to cover a rb in the flat is almost always a mismatch for the rb...someone that can run with them is a different one story

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
iced added:
A d-lineman trying to cover a rb in the flat is almost always a mismatch for the rb...someone that can run with them is a different one story
Can't argue with any of that.

But their job is the same. Keep the running back from moving the sticks.

This is interesting but what we should really be talking about in this thread is what do we do about the RT situation. If I get your position correctly, you want to either pick one up in FA (good luck with finding a long term solution that way) or wait for later in the draft to get one. How late in the draft would you go?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So many great posts, please forgive me I haven't been able to reply. I've been very busy between things at the moment. 1st chance I get ill sit down at the comp and get to it. I'm on the go and quoting sucks on the phone. I'll talk to you fellas later! :mrgreen: Peace!

iced

albefree69 said:
iced added:
Can't argue with any of that.

But their job is the same. Keep the running back from moving the sticks.

This is interesting but what we should really be talking about in this thread is what do we do about the RT situation. If I get your position correctly, you want to either pick one up in FA (good luck with finding a long term solution that way) or wait for later in the draft to get one. How late in the draft would you go?

That's a simplistic way to look at it.

Keep the RB from moving the sticks - okay.

What happens if you motion the running back out wide pre-snap and he runs a streak...you think that DE/DT is going to keep up with the RB, especially if he's someone with speed like a Isiah Pead/Tavon Austin, Lesean Mccoy, Randall Cobb, etc.

in basic fundamentals - it is their job to stop the rb.

but in reality - their job is to hang with the RB and guard him, especially in a passing situation... i want a LB or Safety on a RB in that case, not a D-linemen..which is why d-linemen don't cover rb's, they go after the QB

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
iced continued:
That's a simplistic way to look at it.

Keep the RB from moving the sticks - okay.

What happens if you motion the running back out wide pre-snap and he runs a streak...you think that DE/DT is going to keep up with the RB, especially if he's someone with speed like a Isiah Pead/Tavon Austin, Lesean Mccoy, Randall Cobb, etc.

in basic fundamentals - it is their job to stop the rb.

but in reality - their job is to hang with the RB and guard him, especially in a passing situation... i want a LB or Safety on a RB in that case, not a D-linemen..which is why d-linemen don't cover rb's, they go after the QB

OK, well I think we're still talking about different things. When you talk about not wanting a D-lineman "covering" a RB you're talking about a passing play. When I talk about the D-lineman "covering" a RB I'm using covering as a euphemism for tackling. My point being that they both do what you said was the criterion for being a "skill player", stop scoring.

Of course it could have been DR RAM who established that criterion but the point remains the same.