Right Tackle Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Whats up people, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion/predictions on our RT situation, I got mad love for Rodger and I really want him to work out at RT but it just seems he cant shake that injury bug. Well let me know what you guys think.

Do we pick up someone this next draft?
Do we stick it out with him?
Do we pick up someone in free agency?
Does he leave after his contract is up?

I was just thinking about him today and was just wondering what everyone else thinks about it. I also like brainstorming with stuff like this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Draft. This looks like it'll be a strong Tackle class. Lets get this OL fixed for good instead of sticking band-aids on it.

A55VA6

Legend
I think we'll let Rodger go into FA and we'll draft someone to fill that RT spot. He's another Jackson/Amendola guy. Good talent, always injured.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A55VA6 said:
I think we'll let Rodger go into FA and we'll draft someone to fill that RT spot. He's another Jackson/Amendola guy. Good talent, always injured.
jrry32 said:
Draft. This looks like it'll be a strong Tackle class. Lets get this OL fixed for good instead of sticking band-aids on it.

Who do you guys like in this class?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
LosAngelesRams said:
Whats up people, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion/predictions on our RT situation, I got mad love for Rodger and I really want him to work out at RT but it just seems he cant shake that injury bug. Well let me know what you guys think.

I was just thinking about him today and was just wondering what everyone else thinks about it. I also like brainstorming with stuff like this.
I think the offensive line will be a unit that we focus on in the draft. I am a big Saffold fan, but freak injuries or not, it's a contract year, and he just can't stay healthy. We also need to infuse some more youth on the line for the future. I think we are set at Center with Barnes and Jones, we might be OK at Left Guard, Williams has exceeded expectations, but Dahl, and RT should be a focus next year, IMO.

A55VA6

Legend
Honestly, I don't look much at college talent until the season is over. Gives me stuff to do while there's no Rams football. Not really sure who I would want on the OL in the draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Jake Mathews is my top choice(want him badly if he falls to us somehow) followed by Antonio Richardson. Cyrus Kouandjio has to slow of feet for my taste.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A55VA6 said:
Honestly, I don't look much at college talent until the season is over. Gives me stuff to do while there's no Rams football. Not really sure who I would want on the OL in the draft.

Yeah - I'm with you there. Besides, it always seems that the list bears very little resemblance to the list at the end of the season.

I just hope they do as Jerry said and finally fix this line instead of patching it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LosAngelesRams said:
A55VA6 said:
jrry32 said:

Who do you guys like in this class?

Antonio Richardson from Tennessee, Jake Matthews from TAMU, Taylor Lewan from Michigan...it's a good looking class. There are more. Haven't dug too deeply yet.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Offense I would like Jake matthews

Defense
Bradley Roby cb from Ohio state
Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold is gonna get paid I think in FA to play LT....at least paid more than the Rams would be willing to pay him to play RT.

Draft all the way. I like Barksdale if he can develop that last 10%. Best case we draft a T and have a good competition out there at RT next summer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Barrett Jones as a developmental guy inside. I think this team goes OT in the first round with one of those picks.

fearsomefour

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I like Barrett Jones as a developmental guy inside. I think this team goes OT in the first round with one of those picks.

I agree. I like OT and DT (or DT and OT) with those first two picks. The good news it appears to be a T deep draft and hopefully Washington keeps losing.
Now, what if the Rams are ready to use that first pick and 3 Ts are off the board? Do you take the 4th best T or the highest rated G? Those kind of things make the draft fun.

I know he projects more at a 3/4 NT but if he could transition to a 4/3 DT putting Nix inside next to Brockers (with out DEs) could form just about a perfect Dline.

Lose Washington, Lose!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
fearsomefour said:
CGI_Ram said:

I agree. I like OT and DT (or DT and OT) with those first two picks. The good news it appears to be a T deep draft and hopefully Washington keeps losing.
Now, what if the Rams are ready to use that first pick and 3 Ts are off the board? Do you take the 4th best T or the highest rated G? Those kind of things make the draft fun.

I know he projects more at a 3/4 NT but if he could transition to a 4/3 DT putting Nix inside next to Brockers (with out DEs) could form just about a perfect Dline.

Lose Washington, Lose!!

I'd rather go OT and S, but I'm not sure how the S class looks this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Corner or Safety first and then take O line the rest of the way. Tackle Guard and Center in whichever order they rate the best. Fix the line please! I have been begging for this for years!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I Like Roger, but he's made of glass.

Let's move on with next years draft.

I hate drafting a RT in the first round, it's like drafting a RB in the top 10 a lot of quality can be found lower in the draft.

In a perfect world Barksdale plays the rest of the season and shows enough to make the position his own, Jones shows enough in practice to make him the centre of the future, and we only need a RG.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think we should draft one as well. I have no faith in Saffold and while Barksdale played fairly well, I would rather have someone who is younger, because or O line is not the youngest in the world

But I would rather wait to see how the year goes on and what draft position we are at. If for some reason the Rams or Redskins totally suck this year and we get a chance to pick Jake Matthews or Lewan then we should, because they can be groomed to be our LT when Jake Long is done/contract is up. If not, I say wait till the 2nd/3rd round and take a pure right tackle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LosAngelesRams said:

No real ideal what happens between now & the free agency & the 2014 draft. Rams have both current starting OT under contract (Barksdale 25 & Long 28) Saffold along with other OT Rams Starks & persons will be a UFA's. Rams also have two Multi OL positional players in Brandon Washington who is a OLG/ORG primary & emergency ORT 7 newbie Mike Persons. So good things could happen during this time period...#1-Barksdale develops the ability to wall off the speed rushers, Persons is able to gain some size & makes the transition from OLT to the Right side as a legit back up OT. Brandon Washington makes strides improving his pass blocking skills...all of which would diminish the top priority need @ ORT day one of the draft.

The interior OL'ers would normally be figured in with the OT's here too but the Rams would seem to be in very good position in the future with what they have tied up currently that are under contract in 2014. Rams top 2/3rd OG's Chris Williams & Shelley Smith will be a UFA's but the Org. have four good young prospects under contract i.e. Tim Barnes, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones & Mike Persons. The starting ORG is Dahl who did the org. a really big big favor this month in redoing his contract free up some current cap $$. I just do not seeing the Org dumping a good performing OG & emergency ORT. Starting center Wells has turned it up & is performing like he is back in his 20's & under contract too.

Bottom line here the situation @ Right OT must be addressed. Your questions on Saffold were:

Do we pick up someone this next draft? Yes
Do we stick it out with him? How? No
Do we pick up someone in free agency? Yes Rams picked up two Starks & Persons
Does he leave after his contract is up? Yes

Saffold is a highly talented OL'er who is also a bonified 2013 winner for "Most Injury-Prone Players in the NFL since 2010 season!" Not really sure Snead, Fisher & Boudreau want to invest a large chunk of cap $$ for the opportunity to experience the worry, problems & concerns that they have had to go through 2012 & 2013 ....way into the future for years to come with Saffold. Truth is talented OLT's like Saffold demand mega millions & right now even with Saffold being back where he was the last three season INJURED NFL teams will line up to pay big $$ to get his services. Does any ROD'mer think Saffold will be signed by the Rams to a contract after 2013?

Joe Barksdale would be a good reserve swing OT on this 53 player roster....problem here is he is the starting Ram Right OT & has been for most of the 2013 pre season & the first two regular season games & looks like he will continue to start for another month or so. He is still a project & still under construction in preparations to be a future starting NFL Right OT.