Rick Smith: Texans could 'legitimately move' down in draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-texans-could-legitimately-move-down-in-draft

HOUSTON -- Texans general manager Rick Smith, in an exclusive interview Wednesday afternoon, said he has had "enough conversations to legitimately move" from the first overall pick. Smith did not disclose any potential trade partners or the seriousness of any potential deals to quantify how legitimate things stand on the eve of the draft.

Smith added that Houston might not be willing to move the pick because of the players that they've targeted.

WE ALL KNOW HE'S TALKING RAMS TRADE! YOU KNOW IT! (y)

Ohhhh, you will be SO TIRED OF ME by season's start if I'm right.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-texans-could-legitimately-move-down-in-draft

HOUSTON -- Texans general manager Rick Smith, in an exclusive interview Wednesday afternoon, said he has had "enough conversations to legitimately move" from the first overall pick. Smith did not disclose any potential trade partners or the seriousness of any potential deals to quantify how legitimate things stand on the eve of the draft.

Smith added that Houston might not be willing to move the pick because of the players that they've targeted.

WE ALL KNOW HE'S TALKING RAMS TRADE! YOU KNOW IT! (y)

Ohhhh, you will be SO TIRED OF ME by season's start if I'm right.

Wait, you're saying the Rams want to trade up? To presumably pick Clowney?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@Alan will have an aneurysm if that turns out to be the case.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Offered this scenario a month ago....if Fisher and Williams are enamored with Clowney snd what he could do for this defense, offer up a 3rd, maybe get a 5th back and swap picks.

Houston only does it if they prefer Mack as a better fit and this way they get morr ammo to trade back up for a QB.

The Rams can recoup their lost 3rd by trading back from 13. Plus they can add another 3rd by dealing away a 4th and 6th or 4th and 5th.

Alan

Legend
upload_2014-5-7_23-50-7.jpeg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
well it shouldn't be too costly... if it happens.
It had better not be too costly! F that.
We don't need Clowney for ourselves bad enough to give up picks to get him.
And moving up just to move down seems like a silly waste of time unless we can get a bounty for Clowney...but if thats the case then why wouldn't Houston just trade down themselves for that very same bounty?

I'm dizzy.

PhxRam

Offered this scenario a month ago....if Fisher and Williams are enamored with Clowney snd what he could do for this defense, offer up a 3rd, maybe get a 5th back and swap picks.

Houston only does it if they prefer Mack as a better fit and this way they get morr ammo to trade back up for a QB.

The Rams can recoup their lost 3rd by trading back from 13. Plus they can add another 3rd by dealing away a 4th and 6th or 4th and 5th.

I guess anything is possible. It is certainly easier for us to move up then anyone.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nope, 5th and 7th. Tokens. Houston gets their man and Rams get Clowney and everyone except RFID is happy!

RamzFanz

Damnit
And moving up just to move down seems like a silly waste of time unless we can get a bounty for Clowney...but if thats the case then why wouldn't Houston just trade down themselves for that very same bounty?

I'm dizzy.

Because the assumption is that Houston has to have the player they want who isn't Clowney. The ONLY way that is guaranteed is trade with Rams or just pick the player at 1.

If you HAD to have a player and could pick him, or get 2 more draft picks and STILL pick him, what do you do?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Because the assumption is that Houston has to have the player they want who isn't Clowney. The ONLY way that is guaranteed is trade with Rams.
Ok, but IMO Clowney makes even more sense for Houston than he does for us. I don't get it. Oh well.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I'm dizzy.

Maybe Snead cooked up a way to get more value out of the pick with a later trade than Houston is able to do... who knows... but I'm damn glad the waiting period is almost over.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Houston is focused on adding picks, they could swap with us get a pick, then trade down with Atlanta and really add some high picks.

That is how they can maximize that pick in terms of draft picks. Still not RGIII like, but they could get a 3 from the Rams and a 1 and 2 from Atlanta. So in affect they flip #1 for two 1's and a 2 and a 3. Then take Bortles at 6 or maybe get Evans and get your QB later. Now they would have two 1's next year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Houston is focused on adding picks, they could swap with us get a pick, then trade down with Atlanta and really add some high picks.

That is how they can maximize that pick in terms of draft picks. Still not RGIII like, but they could get a 3 from the Rams and a 1 and 2 from Atlanta. So in affect they flip #1 for two 1's and a 2 and a 3. Then take Bortles at 6 or maybe get Evans and get your QB later. Now they would have two 1's next year.

That's what I'm talkin' about. Nice. And Rams get Clowney and take over the world.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram in a funk:
Ok, but IMO Clowney makes even more sense for Houston than he does for us. I don't get it. Oh well.
The other team would know that they'd have to pay us less. The Texans only win if the other team thinks they're going to take their player.

At least that's my take at this time of the night.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You're thinking need and I'm thinking dominance.
Clowney equals pass rush. I like our pass rush. 2nd in the league IIRC. We're 3 deep at DE and our rotation guys are decent too.
Houston has Watt,Cushing...but they could use another pass rusher with both hands in the dirt. Sorry man, i just don't see it like you do.

Less than a day and we find out. (y)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Clowney equals pass rush. I like our pass rush. 2nd in the league IIRC. We're 3 deep at DE and our rotation guys are decent too.
Houston has Watt,Cushing...but they could use another pass rusher with both hands in the dirt. Sorry man, i just don't see it like you do.

Less than a day and we find out. (y)

(y)

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Fuck you Rick Smith. Take some shitty QB and be done with it. We're moving down.