Richardson wants to make the most of opportunity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-richardson-wants-to-make-the-most-of-backfield-opportunity/article_2ddeca72-10da-5765-9bca-55f95f9b2def.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... b2def.html</a>
Rams' Richardson wants to make the most of backfield opportunity
Daryl Richardson does not mind being challenged. In fact, he seems to enjoy it.
Selected in the in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL draft, Richardson was pick No. 252, one ahead of Mr. Irrelevant, the final selection of the draft.

But the 5-foot-10, 196-pound speedster out of Division II Abilene Christian (Texas) University battled through some hamstring issues early in training camp to beat out second-round pick Isaiah Pead and went on to a solid season as the main backup to longtime Rams’ star Steven Jackson.

Richardson rushed 98 times for 475 yards — an average of 4.8 per carry — and also caught 24 passes for 163 yards last fall. With Jackson out with a groin injury, he ran for a 83 yards in a 31-28 victory over the Washington Redskins in Week 2 and had another big day in a Week 6 loss at Miami that included 11 rushes for 76 yards as well as a 26-yard pass reception.

He produced the team’s longest run from scrimmage in 2012 (53 yards vs. Washington) and also had a 44-yarder at Miami.

“No sir, I’m not surprised at all (with last year’s success),’’ Richardson said after Tuesday’s practice sessions at Rams Park. “I just try to work and and do the job the coaches need me to do.’’

The Rams’ top returning rusher, Richardson finds himself in a group of young backs looking to fill the void created when Jackson opted out of the final year of his contract with the Rams and signed as a free agent with the Atlanta Falcons.

That group, which also features Pead, second-year pro Terrance Ganaway and rookie Zac Stacy, has some huge shoes to fill. Jackson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, rushed for at least 1,000 yards in each of the last eight seasons and is one of just 27 NFL backs to eclipse the 10,000-yard mark.

“I learned a lot from Steven, on and off the field,’’ said Richardson, 22. “More than anything, I learned what it takes to be a professional and being serious about your craft. He taught me about studying opponents and game plans and also about training and nutrition, about taking care of your body.’’

But Jackson’s departure also creates an opportunity.

“I’m definitely working toward a bigger role,’’ Richardson said. “I’m excited about getting a chance to show the coaching staff what I can do. I definitely feel like I can be the starter, but I guess that’s something that will be decided in training camp. We’re all friends, working to push each other and to make each other better, but we’re also all trying to be that No. 1 guy.’’

It seems likely the Rams will go with a committee-type approach in the backfield this season.

“You need multiple backs in this league,’’ offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “We’re going to try to play to their strengths. With (Jackson) last year, it was a little different. It was harder to do the committee because every time you took him out, you knew you were missing his leadership and his toughness. This year I think we’ve got nice pieces to try and blend in and differently attack people.’’

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher also envisions an expanded role for Richardson.

“We have to get the ball to him in the passing game more than we did (in 2012),’’ Fisher said earlier in the offseason. “We were spreading it out, but we weren’t necessarily going to the backs as much as we would’ve liked. Any time we can get Daryl the ball in space, it’s going to put added pressure on the other team.’’

Richardson followed older brothers Bernard Scott (Cincinnati Bengals) and Clyde Gates (New York Jets) through Abilene Christian to the NFL. He is excited about the Rams’ many new weapons and looks forward seeing where he fits in.

“I feel much more comfortable this year because I have a better feel for the playbook and my teammates,’’ he said. “I think we’re all looking forward to seeing what we can do with all these playmakers.’’

The Rams have competition for spots and they have options. The key now is fitting all the pieces together.

“I think we’re still trying to find what our identity is going to be,’’ he said. “It’s a work in progress. I think we’re starting to kind of get a feel for it, but nothing’s done yet. That’s the hard part. The personnel groupings. How do they fit? How do you mix pieces around? Who can learn different spots? Who can’t?’ (But) it’s a good problem to have.’’

nighttrain

Legend
I still remember the remark that was made, Fisher asked Jenkins who was the best back he faced, the reply, D Richardson. Pretty high praise
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nighttrain said:
I still remember the remark that was made, Fisher asked Jenkins who was the best back he faced, the reply, D Richardson. Pretty high praise
train

He didn't even know his name. He just knew it was the rb from abilene christian.

He said it during an interview with some journo before the draft.

I'm very happy with the rbs the rams have assembled. They will all play their parts and they will all torch the league.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Personally I always pull for the guys that were drafted last or next to last. This kid seems to be one that can really contribute even more this year and with the other two I think RB will be OK. They've made it clear it's going to be a group effort and this is a decent group.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kurtfaulk said:
nighttrain said:
train

He didn't even know his name. He just knew it was the rb from abilene christian.

I'm very happy with the rbs the rams have assembled. They will all play their parts and they will all torch the league.

Yeah, Schottenheimer did say in his presser that it would be a committee approach, but I don't think it'll stay that way if someone emerges as a real threat. That guy will probably get the bulk of the carries if he maintains a high level of production. That said, I'd really like to see Richardson take one in for a TD. He didn't get any last year, but he ripped off a bunch of long gainers. Shame, really. He deserved at least one.

jap

Legend
X said:
kurtfaulk said:
nighttrain said:
train

Yeah, Schottenheimer did say in his presser that it would be a committee approach, but I don't think it'll stay that way if someone emerges as a real threat. That guy will probably get the bulk of the carries if he maintains a high level of production. That said, I'd really like to see Richardson take one in for a TD. He didn't get any last year, but he ripped off a bunch of long gainers. Shame, really. He deserved at least one.

I like DRich. If there is any nontrivial knock against him it's his lack of electric wiggle like Pead. However, you give this young kid a crack, and he will slam it right up in there in the blink of an eye. Sometimes, that is exactly what an offense needs.

nighttrain

Legend
kurtfaulk said:
nighttrain said:
train

well you remembered better than me, but i'm sufferin from ol timers :bahumbug:

\But I did make the point, ha :pokeu:
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Daryl Richardson is everything that Isaiah Pead is not. Just work on your pass protection Mr. Richardson and then turn on the juice!

USP_NFL__Washington_Redskins_at_St._Louis_Rams-x-large.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
Love his attitude. I think Richardson is a solid back mid-field and it's his job to lose and it sounds like he's going to do all he can to stop that from happening. His no TD's seems to be a result of not being a bruiser and not having great speed. I don't think he will be the TD guy.

I don't see how this crew won't fill Jackson's shoes and more. Fish is talking about throwing to the backs more which I was repeatedly frustrated with a lack of this last season. They would have success with it and it would just disappear.

I also hope Pead makes a big impact this year because he's so fast. You send Pead out on a route with Tavon, Cook, and Givens out there burning up the turf, who can cover that speed?

I watched Zak Highlights again and was very impressed. That man can find a hole fast and squeeze through it. He's Mr. Positive Yards. Not typically huge yards, but rarely loses territory. The first guy can never tackle him.

All in all, add in some consistency with the O line making holes and possibly some lead blocking, and this is going to be fun to watch develop!

A55VA6

Legend
Richardson is my favorite out of the bunch. He really is. I hope someone/a couple of guys step up and plays great though.