Richard Sherman: "Players Have To Be Willing To Strike"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have always said that the NFL should model after the NBA with some changes to adapt it to the uniqueness of the sport. The NBA has done a better job for the vets than any sport. Meanwhile the idiot DSmith just figured that plugging in a rookie cap without allowing teams to give more to their own FA or coming up to FA vets was to freaking hard to figure out even though the example was RIGHT IN FRONT of his face.

Even if they ONLY had a Larry Bird Exception type of rule it would help. And tha't one of half a dozen things they could have gleaned from teh OLD deal the NBA had with it's union.

The difference is the NBA leadership on both sides of the table is head and shoulders better than the NFL's.
I wouldn't want anything resembling what's going on in the NBA right now
NFL has parity due to its cap structure, I'd hate to lose that

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think the biggest win and focus for the players should be extremely good health care for ex-players. Something like, subsidized health care for life once you've been on an active roster for a single game, free quality health care for life after three years on a roster or practice squad.

They'll have to give back what they got last time around, namely the severely cut down practice time that's making the game suffer. Starting the league year later might help soften that blow.

Maybe a minimum threshold of guaranteed money (by percent) on contracts, or some sort of team-provided insurance that somewhat balances out the constant threat of being cut... AFLAC unemployment insurance (though they may already offer that, I honestly don't know).

Might be useful, too, for the NFLPA to enact some sort of mechanism by which even front-loaded contracts spread their disbursements to players over the life of the contract. Maybe make it opt-in, but something where, like, if you have a 4-year $20 million deal with $10 million guaranteed in the first two years, that goes into a trust that pays you out over the course of however many years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wouldn't want anything resembling what's going on in the NBA right now
NFL has parity due to its cap structure, I'd hate to lose that

Parity is harder in the NBA because one player can change a team completely because only 5 guys are on the court. If you get a team built their cap is set up to help you keep it together. The NBA's cap works for their sport. But certainly the NFL can take some parts and use them, I'm not saying copy it, but the exceptions would be perfect in the NFL's system. Super Max contracts would be good too.

I think the NBA is fine, yeah the Warriors have an edge over everyone but the whole super team thing has been around and happening for ages.

Though I will say Durant lost my respect for the move he made.