Richard Sherman: "Players Have To Be Willing To Strike"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-players-have-to-be-willing-to-strike-1796866377

Richard Sherman: "Players Have To Be Willing To Strike"
By Lauren Theisen

tq8gsu0ztjzwrnesghst.jpg

Photo: Harry How/Getty Images

In an interview with Jalen Rose, Sherman gave his unsurprisingly unfiltered view on the NFLPA and their need for strength in labor negotiations.

“If we want to get anything done, players have to be willing to strike,” Sherman said. “That’s the thing that guys need to 100 percent realize. You’re going to have to miss games, you’re going to have to lose some money if you’re willing to make the point, because that’s how MLB and NBA got it done.”

Sherman also criticized players for taking huge “fake” contracts inflated with non-guaranteed money, noting that some guys get an ego boost from big numbers, but that those contracts can “pop like a balloon.”

“I think guys need to re-evaluate how they look at contracts,” he said.

The NFL’s last CBA was agreed upon following a lockout in 2011, and it won’t expire until 2020. The last round of labor negotiations resulted in changes that included reduced practices and the rookie salary scale. The NFL hasn’t had a strike, however, since 1987, in a season that infamously featured scab players in three consecutive weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/12/richard-sherman-player-need-to-be-willing-to-strike/

By Mike Florio

Sometimes, things need to be said. Even if they invite criticism.

In this case, the things said by Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman should elicit praise. He has become the first star NFL player (who also happens to be a member of the NFL Player Association’s Executive Committee) to say what needs to be said at a time when players throughout the league are confounded by the disparity between NBA and NFL player pay.

To improve their individual pay, NFL players need to improve their collective pay. To improve their collective pay, they need to be willing to strike.

He’s absolutely right, and he needed to say it. When the owners didn’t like the labor deal, they first opted out of the contract and then locked the players out of their livelihood. And the owners were willing to extend the lockout into the regular season. The players weren’t, the owners knew it, and a deal was resolved with only one game (the Hall of Fame exhibition contest) missed.

This doesn’t mean a strike is inevitable. But without the threat of a strike, the players will never get the terms they want, and an imbalance will linger. (If you don’t think there’s an imbalance, consider this: Has any owner complained once about the financial terms of the CBA since it was finalized six years ago?)

Of course, the threat of a strike will be meaningless if they don’t follow through on it. But that’s a story for a different day. For now, the players need to be willing to include “strike” within their potential options for proceeding come 2021.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He's not wrong. The current CBA is so skewed in favor of ownership it's ridiculous. Players need better leadership and the willingness to take real action if they keep getting hosed in labor negotiations.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Strike for what? I agree that if there is something they feel is strongly needed, players should be willing to Strike. Owner would likely lose more money than the players, but it's bad for both, so potentially a greater chance to meet and get things done.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow....finally someone speaking the truth....I can almost guarantee they'll strike over guaranteed money....and that weed suspension.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wow....finally someone speaking the truth....I can almost guarantee they'll strike over guaranteed money....and that weed suspension.
Probably will also work to take the power of arbitration in a dispute between a player and the League out of the commissioner's hands.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What a bunch of fing babies. Getting paid millions to play a game....just stop it

Ants

Starter
Here's a thought. Perhaps the players should take the Rookie Symposium a bit more seriously and start saving some money. I read a stat where 75% of NFL players are broke 5 years after leaving the league, or something insane like that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I follow the NBA pretty closely...when the salary cap exploded last year and the contract details came out, it really was mindboggling.

A really hard pill to swallow if I'm an NFL player, because despite the vast difference in players in the league, the NFL makes A LOT more than the NBA.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What a bunch of fing babies. Getting paid millions to play a game....just stop it
You know that the median salary for NFL players is $770,000, right? It's not the guys like Sherman, Carr, Austin et al who are getting hosed by the current financial breakdown, but the vast majority of the guys who come through, earn half a million dollars a year for two or three years, and get replaced by another UDFA to spend the rest of their life nursing any injuries or whatnot they built up during their years of playing NFL, NCAA and high school football.

Also, a lot of these guys don't play the 3 full seasons required to get an NFL pension or health insurance.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That has nothing to do with it.

NFL revenue: about 13 billion

Player salaries: about 5 billion

The NBA players get about 50% (or more) of the total revenue. To get to that point, the NFL would have to increase their salary cap by about 25%

I know there are other factors for running the leagues, but considering how much more strict the NFL is too....this next round of negotiations won't be pretty. And I'm definitely on the players side.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
NFLPA screwed the pooch when they let DeMaurice Smith take on the NFL. He got his and the players asses kicked. They will need to do better next time for sure.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Here's a thought. Perhaps the players should take the Rookie Symposium a bit more seriously and start saving some money. I read a stat where 75% of NFL players are broke 5 years after leaving the league, or something insane like that.
Well, when the average NFL career is 3.3 years, and the median likely lower than that, plus your median salary being $770k, it's not surprising that so many players go broke. You're talking about a good-not-great salary (especially when compared to other professional sports) and a crazy short career, and not to mention a career that can very easily lead to a lifetime of health problems and medical expenses.

NFL players ain't all Bentleys and caviar.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im just here for the "they should play for free" comments...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now, I'll probably Piss some people Off here, But F--K the Unions!! They have screwed up the Game of Football, Less work - less Practice - no Pads - No Contact - Poorer production on the Field ( All this get them Hurt!) and then they Want more M-O-N-E-Y!! What will the Union give to get 50% of the income! Speaking as a former Business Man. You want a Piece of my action!? What are you going to put into MY Business!
The Players Union through there actions and the NFL through there rules and regulation have SCREWED UP My Game!! And I'm Tired of it!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I hate the fully guaranteed contract idea. If you want a player option to opt out of your deal then fine but how about earning your money. Look at all the NBA players that sign 60+ million dollar deals only to be underwhelming and a burden on the franchise. Nobody else gets a job and has guaranteed money just for showing up.

Guess what, in the real world if you aren't living up to job description, you get fired. All this stuff about "Our bodies are on the line getting hurt".... yeah, you signed up for big money to put your body on the line. If you want a pain-free lifestyle, pick a different career.

All these guys whining about not having advice when they get all this money, what a joke. Each team has a special meeting with rookies about financial responsibility. If you need more advice beyond that, hire a financial advisor. Nobody is required to look after you for being dumb.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NBA players are more overpaid than the NFL players are overpaid, so lets strike?
Good grief
League minimum is around 500k, gimme a break

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFLPA as I've said for a long time is the players biggest problem. It won't change until the players take it seriously. The Union has let them down in many area's for decades.

fearsomefour

Legend
Getting paid to work very hard and do something that very few people can do at that level.
Using your logic there is no difference between the actor in the local theatre production and a movie star that brings in $300 million in sales per movie.
Supply and demand. Scarcity drives markets and nothing else. They have the skills to get paid. They should get their piece of the pie.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Getting paid to work very hard and do something that very few people can do at that level.
Using your logic there is no difference between the actor in the local theatre production and a movie star that brings in $300 million in sales per movie.
Supply and demand. Scarcity drives markets and nothing else. They have the skills to get paid. They should get their piece of the pie.
They already do. The end