Rhaney's path to NFL marred by hardships/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rhaney's path to NFL marred by hardships
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_baad1dd9-b85a-5668-9d22-1ad2b57f8bbc.html

As the final selections of the NFL draft were made earlier this month, Tennessee State University offensive lineman Demetrius Rhaney started thinking more and more about free agency.

Then came an unexpected call from the Rams.

“It was a dream come true, honestly,” said Rhaney, a 6-foot-2, 301-pounder who was chosen 250th overall — with just six picks left in the draft — to close out the Rams’ 11 selections. “We had two TVs on, watching ESPN and the NFL Network, but I wasn’t expecting to be drafted. Not at all. I had a pretty good pro day, but I didn’t get a combine invite, play in any of the all-star games or anything like that.

“When I got the call, I didn’t even celebrate right away. I think I was still in shock.”

That initial shock has worn off and Rhaney is busy these days taking part in the skill-development work with the full roster at Rams Park in Earth City. The rookies will continue to work through this week, with the organized team activities (OTAs) set to begin Tuesday.

“Everything here is so much faster than in college,” the 21-year-old Rhaney said. “I’m working hard on the playbook, on the new snap counts, just trying to catch up to the tempo. It’s all new right now, but I love the challenge. I’m just trying to do my part so that I can try to compete for a spot on the roster.”

Selected one pick after Mizzou’s Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL, Rhaney’s introduction into the NFL was overshadowed by the Rams’ history-making choice at No. 249, but his story is similarly intriguing.

Raised in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Rhaney lost his mother when he was in seventh grade. Then, as a senior in high school, his grandmother and his great-grandmother died — on the same day.

“My grandmother passed that morning, at like 4 that morning, and then my great-grandmother passed that night at like 10,” he recalled. “That next week, I had to go to two funerals. I just toughed it out. ... I’m here and I’m thankful.

“I know they’re looking down on me proud.”

Around that same time, Rhaney also was dealing with some unique academic issues. He had attended nearby Stranahan High as a ninth-grader before transferring to a private school, Academy High in Coral Springs, for his sophomore and junior years.

“Bennie Blades and (ex-Ram) Troy Drayton were trying to get a football program up and running there and I wanted to be a part of it,’’ Rhaney recalled. “But for some reason, the school shut down.”

Rhaney went back to Stranahan for his senior year and earned a football scholarship to Alabama A&M. But he never got a chance to play for the Bulldogs because he was unable to find a transcript from Academy.

“I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who spent hours and hours on the phone for me, trying to help get things figured out,” he said. “She and my principal at Stranahan, Mrs. (Deborah J.) Owens, were told by somebody at the NCAA clearinghouse that if I got an associate’s degree, the transcript from Academy wouldn’t be an issue.’’

Looking for a place to play, Rhaney contacted a former teammate who put him in contact with the coaches at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa.

“The coaches looked at his recruiting tape — I didn’t have any film of my own — and watched me on his tape,” Rhaney said. “They said if I could get there, they could use me. So my grandfather pawned my grandmother’s jewelry and some friends helped out and we got enough money together for a one-way ticket. At that point, I’d never been on an airplane and the next thing you know I’m in Iowa. I took out a loan once I got there to pay for school and expenses and basically went to work, trying to fulfill my dream.”

After two successful years as a tackle at Ellsworth, Rhaney earned a number of scholarship offers before opting for Tennessee State. “It just felt like home,” he said.

Rhaney started 22 of 23 games for the Tigers, shifting from guard to start 11 games at center last fall as the Big Blue earned a spot in the FCS playoffs. Overshadowed by teammate Kadeem Edwards, a guard who was drafted in the fifth round by Tampa Bay, Rhaney got a chance to showcase his quickness and agility during a pro-day workout and caught the Rams’ attention.

“We were very happy to turn in Demetrius Rhaney’s name there as an inside offensive lineman,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said.

Rhaney said he is looking forward to the challenge ahead and feels his life’s struggles have helped prepare him.

“At some point, you have no choice but to grow up,” he said. “I just put a chip on my shoulder and play ball. If I’m mad, I try to use that anger on the field against the defensive player. Just put it on my back and get the job done.”

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If anyone deserves a shot at the 53 man roster, its this guy. He came across really well in the press conference. I hope he makes it

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
An inside player. I thought he was a Tackle. Maybe even the future Swing Tackle. Snead makes it sound like he is strictly a Guard. I would like for him to pan out and one day be a starter.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love this kid and this is a real story about perseverance. IMO he's a natural center and it will be a tough road ahead with Wells, Barnes & Jones in front of him, however, the practice squad is always a possibility as well.

Many are writing off Wells because of salary, however, I was not as impressed with Tim Barnes as others. The Rams really struggled with Barners manning center running the football, IMO, Barnes is not stout at the point of attack, but we'll see how it all plays out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Love this kid and this is a real story about perseverance. IMO he's a natural center and it will be a tough road ahead with Wells, Barnes & Jones in front of him, however, the practice squad is always a possibility as well.

Many are writing off Wells because of salary, however, I was not as impressed with Tim Barnes as others. The Rams really struggled with Barners manning center running the football, IMO, Barnes is not stout at the point of attack, but we'll see how it all plays out.

I agree about Barnes. After two years practicing at Center and then watching him play center, I am thinking he isn't good enough to play Center the NFL.

Barret Jones is still an unknown. Is it possible Rhaney is a real sleeper that could push Barnes off the roster? I hope so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When it comes to calling protections, does it always fall upon the Center to do it? or can a Guard do it?

I wish the Rams had pursued Mack.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When it comes to calling protections, does it always fall upon the Center to do it? or can a Guard do it?

I wish the Rams had pursued Mack.

It usually falls on the Center at times with an unexperience center a guard will chime in and it would have not mattered if the Rams pursued Mack because he was a retricted free agent and the Browns matched the Jaguras offer which was their plans all along.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This 21 yr old Demetrius Rhaney looks like a keeper to me though it real early! Boudreau likes versatile OL'ers who can play many positions if he adds some girth he could be a steal in this draft and a good interior 3 post reserve! I think he has a very good shot to make this Master roster if the 33 yr old Wells is released during the final week cuts....Rams are building towards the future

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This 21 yr old Demetrius Rhaney looks like a keeper to me though it real early! Boudreau likes versatile OL'ers who can play many positions if he adds some girth he could be a steal in this draft and a good interior 3 post reserve! I think he has a very good shot to make this Master roster if the 33 yr old Wells is released during the final week cuts....Rams are building towards the future

We are doing it! And the fact the FO has done so well with the cap space and big money contracts with Chris Long and JL it is so good I start to get goosebumps. Honestly when is the last time we saw a Ram team this deep?