Rhaney is next man up for battered O-line/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rhaney is next man up for battered O-line
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_df96bcf5-9cf8-51bd-b00b-530daf39f0c5.html

He was one of the surprises of training camp, a quick, athletic interior lineman who came close to winning a starting job from out of nowhere on the depth chart.

As it turned out, Demetrius Rhaney didn’t win the starting center job; it went to University of Missouri product Tim Barnes instead. Nonetheless, Rhaney became more than the answer to the trivia question: Who did the Rams take in the seventh round after Michael Sam in 2014?

The word at Rams Park was that with a year of getting bigger and stronger, Rhaney could earn a starting job in the future and perhaps become a fixture on the offensive line for years to come. But unlike many other positions in football, if you’re not a starter on the O-line then you’re not playing at all, except maybe as a blocker on the extra point/field goal unit on special teams.

So as the regular season progressed, Rhaney faded into the background, a forgotten man. Until now, that is.

As the injury bug continues to spread on the offensive line, Rhaney will make his first NFL start Sunday against Cincinnati.

“I finished the preseason playing guard, Timmy won the starting spot,” Rhaney said. “He earned it. He’d been here. He was more mentally ready for it. So I just stepped back and kept taking the mental reps and waited for my number to be called.”

Rhaney became the next man up early in the second quarter last week against Baltimore when rookie Andrew Donnal suffered a knee injury. Donnal is expected to miss several weeks with an MCL injury, giving Rhaney a chance to start at guard.

Although he has gotten most of his practice reps at center, Rhaney did get some work at left guard in training camp, including practicing against Dallas during the Rams’ practices in Oxnard, Calif.

“I’m pretty comfortable anywhere in the middle,” said Rhaney, taken 250th overall out of Tennessee State. He missed the entire ’14 season after suffering a knee injury on the practice field in training camp.

Once Donnal went down in Baltimore, Rhaney finished out the game at right guard, playing basically three quarters.

“It felt pretty good,” Rhaney said. “Mentally I was locked in. No mental mistakes. My technique could’ve been better, but this week it looks like I’m gonna be starting at left guard. So technique should be a lot better this week. That’s the main thing I’m focusing on improving.”

Baltimore has a stout defensive front, but Rhaney said things went better than expected against the Ravens’ Timmy Jernigan.

“From watching film I thought Jernigan was gonna be a handful,” Rhaney said. “I thought he was gonna be similar to Aaron Donald. But he (wasn’t). The biggest problem for me was the nose guard. It was 98.”

That would be Brandon Williams, a mammoth of a defensive tackle who played his high school ball at Rockwood Summit in suburban St. Louis.

“He beat me across my face one play and got to Todd Gurley in the backfield,” Rhaney said of Williams. “We got to the sideline I told Coach Boo, ‘I gotta cut him. That’s a grown man out there.’”

(Coach Boo is offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.)

As for attempting to block Williams, the above play that Rhaney described was his welcome-to-the-NFL moment.

“Yeah, it was a rude awakening,” Rhaney said.

As he watched the game unfold from the sideline, coach Jeff Fisher said he was “a little concerned” with Rhaney’s play.

“But when you watch the tape, he got it done,” Fisher said. “Those guys are big inside and they’re penetrators. He gave up a play, but he battled in there.”

There will be another challenge this week for Rhaney and the rest of the Rams’ interior offensive line against the 8-2 Bengals and a front headlined by one of the game’s top “3-technique” defensive tackles, Geno Atkins.

“They’re pretty good,” Rhaney said. “But we practice against one of the best, too, every week. You got Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn. We practice against the best, so they shouldn’t be too much to handle.”

Rhaney will be the ninth Rams offensive lineman to start a game this season, as the injuries continue to pile up. Three offensive linemen are out for the season: Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown, and Darrell Williams. Two others — Donnal and Rob Havenstein — are out with injury but still on the active roster.

Rookie Cody Wichmann, a sixth-rounder from Fresno State, became the eighth Rams offensive lineman to start a game, doing so last week in Baltimore. With Rhaney set to start at left guard, and Wichmann at right guard, the Rams will start their fourth different line combination in the past five weeks.

Hardly the way to build the kind of continuity essential to strong offensive line play. Left tackle Greg Robinson and center Tim Barnes are the only opening-day starters still standing on the offensive line at this point.

“We’ve been working all season as the second-team unit to get our shot,” Wichmann said. “And finally getting out there and seeing what we can actually do in a live situation, it’s a weight off the shoulders.”

Wichmann had his own welcome to the NFL moment (or two) last week against the Ravens.

“I might’ve got put on my butt once or so,” Wichmann said. “Definitely things to work on. Just technique here and there. Keeping the feet moving and what-not. You gotta use you experiences and build off those.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd just like to point out something here. Call it a refresher course in what can happen to a better than average QB who finds himself introducing himself to new faces on the O-line throughout the season.

Marc Bulger was among the fastest QBs to reach 10,000 yards passing early in his career when he had some decent weapons and a good O-line. I think it was the third fastest in NFL history. Then by the time 2007 rolled around, he was forced to play behind Orlando Pace (1 game), Alex Barron, Mark Setterstrom, Andy McCollum, Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry, Millford Brown, Claude Terrel, Todd Steussie, Nick Lecky, Adam Goldberg, Brandon Gorin and Rob Petitti. 13 different offensive linemen who rotated around the line never really manning one position for an entire season.

WHILE throwing to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce for most of the season and having Steven Jackson in the backfield (for 12 games), that team won 3 games. Partly because the defense was for shit. 31st in the league in points allowed.

So when we see a new QB (two, actually) executing plays from a new OC, and trying to man-up behind a line where we lost our starting RG, LG, and RT, while rotating guys in all three spots and putting centers out at RT, and throwing to names who aren't really popular around the league, what is it exactly that we expect? Honestly, we should *expect* to get our asses handed to us every week. And yet, this team has a 2 point score differential and a top 10 defense ANYWAY. So when we lose, what exactly is it that you think we should have done with that kind of wrecked O-line led by a new QB taking direction from a new OC? Win anyway? Convincingly? Why? I just showed you what could happen with two HOF receivers, a great RB, and a better than average (good) QB playing behind an injury plagued O-line. We should do more with worse personnel? Well, actually we are. And it's a testament to the kind of defense we have that can weather an offense shit-storm like that and keep this team in the game for 4 quarters.

Blame Fisher if you want, but he didn't put on a Kathy Bates mask and go out and hobble his own O-linemen with a 5-pound sledge.

Shit. Happens.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd just like to point out something here. Call it a refresher course in what can happen to a better than average QB who finds himself introducing himself to new faces on the O-line throughout the season.

Marc Bulger was among the fastest QBs to reach 10,000 yards passing early in his career when he had some decent weapons and a good O-line. I think it was the third fastest in NFL history. Then by the time 2007 rolled around, he was forced to play behind Orlando Pace, Alex Barron, Mark Setterstrom, Andy McCollum, Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry, Millford Brown, Claude Terrel, Todd Steussie, Nick Lecky, Adam Goldberg, Brandon Gorin and Rob Petitti. 13 different offensive linemen who rotated around the line never really manning one position for an entire season.

WHILE throwing to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce for most of the season and having Steven Jackson in the backfield (for 12 games), that team won 3 games. Partly because the defense was for crap. 31st in the league in points allowed.

So when we see a new QB (two, actually) executing plays from a new OC, and trying to man-up behind a line where we lost our starting RG, LG, and RT, while rotating guys in all three spots and putting centers out at RT, and throwing to names who aren't really popular around the league, what is it exactly that we expect? Honestly, we should *expect* to get our asses handed to us every week. And yet, this team has a 2 point W/L differential and a top 10 defense ANYWAY. So when we lose, what exactly is it that you think we should have done with that kind of wrecked O-line led by a new QB taking direction from a new OC? Win anyway? Convincingly? Why? I just showed you what could happen with two HOF receivers, a great RB, and a better than average (good) QB playing behind an injury plagued O-line. We should do more with worse personnel? Well, actually we are. And it's a testament to the kind of defense we have that can weather an offense crap-storm like that and keep this team in the game for 4 quarters.

Blame Fisher if you want, but he didn't put on a Kathy Bates mask and go out and hobble his own O-linemen with a 5-pound sledge.

crap. Happens.

This is a great post.

I want to admit right now... I did, in fact, at one time own an Away Bulger jersey. There,,,, I said it.

I even wore that beauty to a Road game in Jacksonville. This was a Bulger #10 jersey!

My wife bought me that thing as a surprise. :shocked: I had to wear it.

Most know... I really really didn't like Marc.

Now..... and I can't believe I'm saying this.... Oh, how I wish we had that Marc under center this year.

It's easy to overlook the good things when the wins don't keep coming.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now..... and I can't believe I'm saying this.... Oh, how I wish we had that Marc under center this year.
tumblr_inline_moxik3WPrc1qz4rgp.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Actually, he did. It was edited out of the game film. All part of the Goodell anti-Ram agenda. I shudder to think what they have on Fisher to get him to do that.

Just give in to paranoia.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

Marc Bulger was among the fastest QBs to reach 10,000 yards passing early in his career when he had some decent weapons and a good O-line. I think it was the third fastest in NFL history. Then by the time 2007 rolled around, he was forced to play behind Orlando Pace, Alex Barron, Mark Setterstrom, Andy McCollum, Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry, Millford Brown, Claude Terrel, Todd Steussie, Nick Lecky, Adam Goldberg, Brandon Gorin and Rob Petitti. 13 different offensive linemen who rotated around the line never really manning one position for an entire season.

WHILE throwing to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce for most of the season and having Steven Jackson in the backfield (for 12 games), that team won 3 games. Partly because the defense was for crap. 31st in the league in points allowed.

So when we see a new QB (two, actually) executing plays from a new OC, and trying to man-up behind a line where we lost our starting RG, LG, and RT, while rotating guys in all three spots and putting centers out at RT, and throwing to names who aren't really popular around the league, what is it exactly that we expect? Honestly, we should *expect* to get our asses handed to us every week. And yet, this team has a 2 point score differential and a top 10 defense ANYWAY. So when we lose, what exactly is it that you think we should have done with that kind of wrecked O-line led by a new QB taking direction from a new OC? Win anyway? Convincingly? Why? I just showed you what could happen with two HOF receivers, a great RB, and a better than average (good) QB playing behind an injury plagued O-line. We should do more with worse personnel? Well, actually we are. And it's a testament to the kind of defense we have that can weather an offense crap-storm like that and keep this team in the game for 4 quarters.

crap. Happens.

I'm sure there will be some who think your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top with this post but I couldn't agree more (with the post :sneaky:).

How the hell have we allowed so few sacks?! :shocked:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure there will be some who think your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top with this post but I couldn't agree more (with the post :sneaky:).

Nice elevator analogy, seeing as I'm an elevator inspector.
As far as not allowing a lot of sacks, I guess it's all the 3-step drops, moving of the pocket, and strong running game.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
This is a great post.

I want to admit right now... I did, in fact, at one time own an Away Bulger jersey. There,,,, I said it.

I even wore that beauty to a Road game in Jacksonville. This was a Bulger #10 jersey!

My wife bought me that thing as a surprise. :shocked: I had to wear it.

Most know... I really really didn't like Marc.

It's easy to overlook the good things when the wins don't keep coming.
You sick, sick bastard.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Offensive Line of the St. Louis Rams is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma and Demetrius Rhaney is just one more of the constant moving parts!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

An Oline like this one is the reason that Bulger wasn't a Pro Bowl QB for long and why the term Bulgerized was coined.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

Throw aways, dump offs, wild throws, and many hits on QBs, not to mention bad run blocking = bad offense!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

So when we see a new QB (two, actually) executing plays from a new OC, and trying to man-up behind a line where we lost our starting RG, LG, and RT, while rotating guys in all three spots and putting centers out at RT, and throwing to names who aren't really popular around the league, what is it exactly that we expect? Honestly, we should *expect* to get our asses handed to us every week. And yet, this team has a 2 point score differential and a top 10 defense ANYWAY. So when we lose, what exactly is it that you think we should have done with that kind of wrecked O-line led by a new QB taking direction from a new OC? Win anyway? Convincingly? Why? I just showed you what could happen with two HOF receivers, a great RB, and a better than average (good) QB playing behind an injury plagued O-line. We should do more with worse personnel? Well, actually we are. And it's a testament to the kind of defense we have that can weather an offense crap-storm like that and keep this team in the game for 4 quarters.

crap. Happens.

Well you can't argue with that.

Good post

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On guard: Rams turn to Demetrius Rhaney, Cody Wichmann to handle interior OL spots
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...o-rhaney-wichmann-to-handle-interior-ol-spots

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In what has become a seemingly never-ending game of musical offensive linemen, the St. Louis Rams will likely have two inexperienced starters at both guard spots against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

After starting rookie Cody Wichmann at right guard and veteran Garrett Reynolds at left guard last week, the Rams lost right tackle Andrew Donnal to a knee injury, forcing Reynolds to right tackle and bringing backup center Demetrius Rhaney in at right guard, with Wichmann moving to the left side.

Without Donnal and given right tackle Rob Havenstein's continued struggles with a calf injury, the Rams now will probably find themselves starting the five linemen who finished their last game. That means another chance for Wichmann and Rhaney on the interior.

After a small bite of the apple in Week 11, Rhaney and Wichmann are hoping to be better this time around.

"I felt pretty good," Rhaney said. "Mentally I was locked in, no mental mistakes. My technique could have been better, but this week it looks like I’m going to be starting at left guard so technique should be a lot better this week. That’s the main thing I’m focusing on improving."

If Rhaney is correct and he starts on the left side, that would at least allow for Wichmann to start at the same spot for the second week in a row. Rhaney played both guard spots in the preseason but was mainly on the left side until just before the team's preseason game against Indianapolis. Just before that contest, Rhaney flipped over to the left side.

But most of Rhaney's preseason was spent battling for the role as starting center, a job he lost to Tim Barnes. Since, he's worked as a backup at all three interior spots.

The Week 11 loss to Baltimore was Rhaney's first extended action aside from special teams. In his own evaluation of his play, Rhaney said he felt comfortable but didn't deny having his own "welcome to the NFL" moment as Ravens defensive tackle Brandon Williams beat him and got to running back Todd Gurley quickly in the backfield.

"I talked to coach Bou [offensive-line coach Paul Boudreau] and said we got to cut him, that’s a grown man out there," Rhaney said. "It was a rude awakening. Him beating me across my face was a technique issue. I took a bad first step."

In an effort to get up to speed, Rhaney said injured guard Rodger Saffold has been helping him with technique this week.

"He stayed back and worked with me on a few technique things, my steps and my hands and hand placement," Rhaney said.

Wichmann had his own rude welcome, though he wasn't as forthcoming with the exact play or players that gave him trouble.

"I might have got put on my butt once or so," Wichmann said. "That’s always a welcome to the NFL. But I’m just glad to be here. I’ll take that once in a while as long as it doesn’t happen often."

As a primary backup playing exclusively at guard, Wichmann has worked at both sides and feels plenty comfortable either place.

"At this point, switching between left and right is not too big of a deal anymore," Wichmann said. "But I played there all throughout college so it will be a little bit easier."

A sixth-round pick in this year's NFL draft, Wichmann came with less acclaim than many of his draftmates, but the Rams rave about his and Donnal's toughness and functional strength. The Rams almost certainly would have preferred not to have to dig so deep into the depth chart, but they'll at least get a better idea of what they have with a closer look at the likes of Rhaney and Wichmann in the starting lineup.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher expects more from both young linemen in their second opportunity.

“That’s usually the case, especially when you’re talking about Cody, who got to play," Fisher said. "It was the first time that he got to play. So yeah, I think he’ll learn from the speed of the game, learn from his mistakes and he should get better. It’s a tough week to get better against this defense, but I expect Cody to improve and same thing with ‘D.’”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So when we lose, what exactly is it that you think we should have done with that kind of wrecked O-line led by a new QB taking direction from a new OC?

The obvious answer for last week was hold onto the effin ball. Not being facetious here either, but it is clearly the difference in the game. Rams did not need to do anything more than punt and play defense with a 10 point lead that late.

Good post though man. You're making sense, even if many of us don't want to hear it. At this point what we really need is Havenstein back. IMO he's the anchor of that line right now which is weird to say but when he holds down RT the quality of the interior and line overall is enormously better. Not sure what the latest is on him but I'm prayin he goes on Sunday.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

Marc Bulger was among the fastest QBs to reach 10,000 yards passing early in his career when he had some decent weapons and a good O-line. I think it was the third fastest in NFL history. Then by the time 2007 rolled around, he was forced to play behind Orlando Pace (1 game), Alex Barron, Mark Setterstrom, Andy McCollum, Brett Romberg, Dustin Fry, Millford Brown, Claude Terrel, Todd Steussie, Nick Lecky, Adam Goldberg, Brandon Gorin and Rob Petitti. 13 different offensive linemen who rotated around the line never really manning one position for an entire season.

crap. Happens.

Great post, it does however depend on one assumption, that the OL we would have had with zero injuries was any good to start off with. The 7 games where we only had 1 OL out we were still averaging bottom 4 in points scored.

I think if you said to most NFL HCs "Here's an All Pro DE, a team captain MLB and a team captain DE, go build me a top 10 D, oh and you get 7 top 100 draft picks to play with" they'd do a decent job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Offensive Line of the St. Louis Rams is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma and Demetrius Rhaney is just one more of the constant moving parts!

Trying to find a thin speck of some positive out of a ton of the negative here.. Demetrius Rhaney has been active for 10 NFL games thus far He has seen a large amount of starting action as of late and will get his first actual start this week. Looks like he will get a good chance to remain a starter much of the rest of the season @ OLG. All of of which should come in handy early next season.

DR is signed through 2017. At this early stage of his career would seem to be a good young back @ OLG & may even compete for a starting position @ center eventually. In my world Jamon Brown should be the starting OLG next season. Its JB's best playing position. At the same time Garrett Reynolds also has shown he is a good starting OLG.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have high hopes for Rhaney, but I worry about what we'll do if Barnes goes down. I'd actually rather have Battle at right tackle with Reynolds at left guard with Rhaney as a backup for the entire interior.

We can knock Gregzilla for a lot of things, but at least he's stayed healthy and in the lineup at the same spot this year, and that's more than all of the others can really say, aside from Barnes, and even Barnes has been on the injury report with a concussion.

But onto Rhaney. I hope he does well at left guard. It's going to be hell on earth to try to go up against Atkins, so I hope that Barnes and Rhaney double-team him every play.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trying to find a thin speck of some positive out of a ton of the negative here.. Demetrius Rhaney has been active for 10 NFL games thus far He has seen a large amount of starting action as of late and will get his first actual start this week. Looks like he will get a good chance to remain a starter much of the rest of the season @ OLG. All of of which should come in handy early next season.

Just felt Rhaney made many mistakes against the Ravens getting pushed back and missing assignments for example. Now, he might play better at LG, however, in preseason Rhaney experience at guard was all at RG don't recall him playing at all at LG.

Overall, it's just a mess and hopefully Havenstein can come back soon because then Reynolds would move back to LG. The positive in this is Cody Wichman, he seems to have held up well and IMO the Rams feel is future is at RG and want him to get the experience there. As to Garrett Reynolds, cut Saffold next year and extend Reynolds for depth. Draft a Center like Max Tuerk who will be coming off knee surgery, but because of that might get him at a bargain in the third round. Hopefully next year Battle or Williams can claim LT and GROB moves inside where IMO, he's better suited and with hopefully a new OL coach things just might be looking up for once.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But onto Rhaney. I hope he does well at left guard. It's going to be hell on earth to try to go up against Atkins, so I hope that Barnes and Rhaney double-team him every play.

Hope you're right, Atkins is quick only weights 293lbs so hopefully Rhaney won't have to be worry about being overpowered, which IMO is his greatest drawback at Guard.