RGme Angry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297289/article/washington-redskins-qb-rgiii-extremely-angry

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III put on a brave face during Wednesday's news conference announcing his benching, but it's now clear that he's more than just confused by coachMike Shanahan's decision to pull the plug on his season.

Appearing on Thursday's edition of "NFL Total Access Kickoff," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said that Griffin is, in fact, "extremely angry" to be shut down for health reasons.

And it turns out, owner Daniel Snyder was actually "receptive" to Shanahan's idea of preserving the franchise quarterback to ensure a full offseason, NFL Media columnist Michael Silver said.

The fissure between head coach and owner originated when Snyder surrendered a "king's ransom" for the opportunity to draft Griffin, Silver reported. Contrary to previous speculation, Snyder -- not Shanahan -- was the "impetus" behind the blockbuster trade, per Silver.

That dynamic between quarterback and owner has led to a lack of trust between Shanahan and Griffin.

Despite what Shanahan has said publicly, Silver's sources affirm that the coach switched quarterbacks for performance reasons. Shanahan didn't believe he could maintain credibility in the locker room if he continued to start a struggling Griffin.

Sources close to the Redskins' coaching staff tell Rapoport that the coaches believe they will be fired, but there's been no official determination from the organization. At this point, they want to be cut loose so they can be "put out of their misery," Rapoport said.

Shanahan will not resign, however. "He's not going to be walking away from the Washington Redskins with nothing less than the $7 million due next year," Rapoport said.

Although the final three games will amount to an audition for Kirk Cousins, Redskins fans shouldn't expect the backup to draw a first-round draft pick in 2014. Six general managers canvassed by Rapoport agreed that Cousins was more likely to fetch a second-rounder. At least half of those general managers don't believe the team will part with their inexpensive Griffin insurance, regardless.

The most likely scenario is Griffin and Cousins will be back in their customary roles for 2014 under a new coaching staff.

We preview "Thursday Night Football" and play another round of "Win Wess' Toaster" on the latest "Around The League Podcast." Listen in, won't you?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296624/article/why-was-robert-griffin-iii-benched

Robert Griffin III is not only getting benched for Sunday's game in Atlanta, he announced Wednesday that he's been shut down "for the rest of the season." Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that he wants to protect the quarterback from getting hurt, but it's hard to imagine Kirk Cousinswould be starting if Griffin were playing well.

Asked about Shanahan's health-related reason for sitting Griffin, one Redskins player told NFL Media's Jeff Darlington, "I believe that's the best way to sell it."

Another player said: "Don't overthink it at all. The guy got benched."

Griffin will be inactive on Sunday, while Rex Grossmanbacks up Cousins. It's a stunning story on many levels. Griffin is the type of franchise quarterback that traditionally doesn't get benched. He has struggled this season, but he's hardly the only struggling aspect of the team. Shanahan can't bench the entire embarrassingRedskins defense or the historically bad special teams. So Shanahan is sitting down his quarterback for safety reasons, even though Griffin just completed 13 straight games.

Shanahan's tenuous future in Washington hangs over everything involved with the Redskins. Darlington said Wednesday that people he's spoken to inside theRedskins' building "do not feel good" about Shanahan's job security, even those people firmly in support of Shanahan.

Look past all the coaching drama, and we see a young quarterback that lost his way on the field.

Sunday's performance against Kansas City was the "worst game" of RGIII's career as a Redskin, NFL Media's Charley Casserly said.

Griffin has been sacked at least four times in five straight games. Casserly noted that those sacks are on Griffin as much as the offensive line.

"Half of those sacks were his fault. Not seeing receivers, seeing the rush," Casserly said. "He was inaccurate during the game. Many times I thought he abandoned his reads. Didn't throw to people that were open. ... It was almost as if Washington (thought), 'You know what? The guy needs a break. There's something wrong with this thing.'"

Redskins radio analyst Chris Cooley echoed many of the same points in hisweekly film review segment Tuesday on WTEM-AM.

"(Robert Griffin III) only reads one side of the field, and the Kansas City Chiefs were very aware of that. ... His technique right now, as far as dropping and throwing the ball, is dreadful. He's throwing high over and over and over again.

"He's throwing behind guys, he's missing guys, his accuracy is as low as I've seen from a guy who should be a very good quarterback. He is never taking a regular drop from under center," Cooley said, via The Washington Post.

Washington's offensive scheme is no longer confusing opponents. Griffin has looked like a second-year quarterback that desperately missed an offseason of development in the pocket. He's able to run at times, but his ACL injury has hurt his trademark accuracy.

This benching is without true precedent in recent football history.Drew Brees was benched for Doug Flutie during Brees' third season, but it's not like Brees was the Offensive Rookie of the Year. And he wasn't the No. 2 overall draft pick. Vince Young was benched in his third season by the Tennessee Titans after a fantastic rookie season, but Young's performance and maturity were far different than Griffin's.

Shanahan indicated that, if Griffin was benched, it would be for the rest of the season. Griffin probably won't play again this season, but this story has a long way to go before it dies down.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" recapped all the Week 14 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/11/donovan-mcnabb-blasted-mike-shanahan/

Robert Griffin III isn’t the first high-profile quarterback Mike Shanahan benched during his time with the Washington Redskins. Shanahan did the same with Donovan McNabb three years ago.

McNabb believes the reason behind Griffin’s benching is egotism on the part of Shanahan.

This is about Mike Shanahan. Mike and [offensive coordinator] Kyle Shanahan trying to show why they feel like Kirk Cousins gives them the best chance of winning. So many things have leaked out, and I’ve always kept my ear on things that are happening with the Washington Redskins, teams that I’ve played with. And when you hear reporters that I know are linked to Mike Shanahan talk about [RGIII’s] preparation, you talk about he’s missing some reads, you know, he’s not reading some things. And I knew that he was big on having Kirk Cousins to get out there and run the offense.”

Shanahan’s ability to bench the team’s franchise quarterback wouldn’t have been possible without support from the locker room. The team hasn’t rallied about Griffin this season. The perception according to McNabb is Griffin’s teammates no longer support the quarterback.

“I think that the locker room has turned their back on RGIII, and now you’ve solidified it.”

If what McNabb’s says is true, there is a much longer problem in Washington than Shanahan. Griffin will need to earn the trust of his teammates for the franchise to be successful long-term. Redskins’ owner Daniel Snyder is able to bring about change within the coaching staff, but he can’t overturn an entire roster simply because the team traded away three first round picks to acquire Griffin.​

quebecramfan

Rookie
I'm getting pretty tired of reading about this over-hyped pre-teen.

There was one quote that stuck out the most to me about him this season.... Someone tweeted that when RG3 is down, none of his teamates help him up. I rewatched some of the games when Bradford was playing before his injury and anytime he was sacked or hit, it seemed like a bunch of his oline were quick to come help him up and clear any dlinemen who made the tackle. Just look at how Harvey Dahl reacted once he realized Bradford was injured.

I believe this is because Bradford had the respect of his teamates... A respect he earned. In the sports world, you don't just ride in on ur high horse and proclaim to all that you are the best and that all should bow down before you. If you want the respect of ur teamates, than you gotta earn it. In my opinion I think that is kind of what happened in Washington. RG3 was so hyped up before the draft that it got to his head. People seem to forget that just because you are a great athlete, it does not make you a great football player. RG3 needs to take a real, long hard look in the mirror and eat a piece of humble pie.

The guy seems so insecure that it's a cancer in the locker room... Kid really needs to grow up or this talent will go to waste.