RGIII vs. Mike Shanahan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-he-was-aaron-rodgers/?utm_term=.c4352a6adbed

Mike Shanahan says RGIII ‘really believed he was Aaron Rodgers’
By Kelyn Soong

imrs.php

John McDonnell/The Washington Post

It’s becoming increasingly clear that the careers of former Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and quarterback Robert Griffin III will be forever linked, especially since neither can seem to stop talking about the other.

Shanahan appeared on Fox Sports 1’s “Undisputed” on Friday afternoon, and co-host Skip Bayless asked the ex-coach about his thoughts on Griffin’s “evolution off the field.” It started off a four-minute segment in which Shanahan did not hold back, blaming himself for not getting through to his quarterback but also criticizing Griffin for trying to be someone he wasn’t.

View: https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/929058836563947520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Fdc-sports-bog%2Fwp%2F2017%2F11%2F10%2Fmike-shanahan-says-rgiii-really-believed-he-was-aaron-rodgers%2F

“I’ll be honest with you, I was really disappointed myself, because I knew where Robert was going,” Shanahan said. “I knew where his dad was going. I knew where [Redskins owner] Dan Snyder was going. It was up to me to convince this guy that, ‘Hey, if you don’t run, your drop-back game . . . it’s not there now, but you can get there.’ I blame myself for not getting to the kid. He really believes he was Aaron Rodgers. In his mind, he believed he was Aaron Rodgers. I said, ‘You know what? You’re not Aaron Rodgers, and Aaron Rodgers is not you.’ ”

Shanahan’s comments came just a few months after Griffin tweeted that his first two seasons in Washington were an “impossible situation with a coach who never wanted me.” In October, Griffin elaborated to 106.7 The Fan that he was “drafted to a team with a coach who didn’t want me, with an organization that wasn’t sold on me.”

Griffin, who is out of the league, was the 2012 offensive rookie of the year but could not recapture that season’s magic after injuring his knee in Washington’s playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks following the season.

In that season, coaches had Griffin run a play-action and read-option offense that took advantage of Griffin’s speed. But after getting injured, Griffin was reluctant to run as much, Shanahan said. There have been reports that Griffin demanded after his rookie season that read-option plays be stripped from the offense during a meeting — something Griffin has disputed. Former Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman, in an interview with ESPN 980, backed up Shanahan’s version of the events and said the coach “has the tape of that meeting.”

“In time you can learn the drop-back game and you will get better, but you got to do some of the things that we’ve been doing your rookie year to keep the defenses off you,” Shanahan said he told Griffin. “Because with that play-action game, Robert had all the time in the world to throw. He had time. He was getting better. . . . But the next year, because of the injury, he felt like, ‘Hey, I can’t run anymore.’ ”

“You can come back from that knee [injury], but what you have to do is get better at the drop-back game, doing some of the things we’ve been doing,” Shanahan continued. “With that, I said, ‘You got a chance. If not, you’ll be out of the game in four to five years.’ ”

Griffin was released by the Redskins in March 2016 after losing the starting job to Kirk Cousins. He signed with the Cleveland Browns from there but was released in March 2017 and has been training in Florida in hopes of return to the NFL.

To Shanahan, Griffin struggled to become a pure pocket passer because he lacked the natural anticipation that other quarterbacks have.

“In my experience, you watch people practice every day, you know if they can throw, if they’re a natural at it,” he said. “You know when it takes a little bit longer, or if you can’t slide in the pocket, if you don’t have the anticipation. He did not have that so you knew he was going to struggle. I had to convince him this is going to take some time, but I was never able to do that.”

Shanahan also told a story of how he sat down with Griffin to watch film of Andrew Luck — picked first overall in the 2012 draft by the Indianapolis Colts, one spot ahead of Griffin — after co-host Shannon Sharpe asked if the praise Luck received affected Griffin.

“I told Robert, ‘Let’s sit down and watch [Luck’s] film,’ ” Shanahan said. “I’ve never seen a guy get hit more than Andrew Luck did. ‘Let’s look at you: One of the reasons you haven’t been hit is the defense is afraid to rush you. You’ve got to play the option reads. You got all day to throw play action on first and second down. What we’ve got to get you better on [is] third down,’ and we did get better on it, but then after that, of course things changed.”

Bayless ended the segment by asking if Griffin’s close relationship with Snyder played a role in the coach-quarterback falling out. Shanahan used the opportunity to explain the disconnect between what he saw as a coach and what Griffin and his supporters believed.

“To be honest with you, with a guy like Dan, he believed Robert had all those things, all the tools,” he said. “You can see why an owner or dad or mother says, ‘Hey, don’t get my son hit.’ I understand that, but one thing you have to learn is if you do run a read-option, the quarterback cannot get hit. He has to slide, give the ball off, pitch it . . . .

If you do run, never take a hit. That’s what Russell Wilson has done throughout his career. He’s the best at it. Deshaun Watson, he's doing unbelievable, doing the same thing: sliding, throwing the ball away, being able to throw on the run.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What Shanahan says about RGIII, and the way he wanted him to Play makes all the sense in the world to me. I don't understand why RGII couldn't see it, unless he was getting Bad advice from his Dad and others!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“In time you can learn the drop-back game and you will get better, but you got to do some of the things that we’ve been doing your rookie year to keep the defenses off you,” Shanahan said he told Griffin. “Because with that play-action game, Robert had all the time in the world to throw. He had time. He was getting better. . . . But the next year, because of the injury, he felt like, ‘Hey, I can’t run anymore.’

It demonstrates how stupid Griffin is that, as a QB, he doesn't understand his edge threat slows the rush. The running QBs have that advantage coming in, but at this level the truth is they need to adjust to living in the pocket and develop that skill otherwise their shelf life is going to be more on the RB side vs the Tom Brady side.

We see it so often, the guys with wheels coming in and looking better initially than the pocket guys for that reason. If I'm an OC or HC my plan with a running QB is to get them to play as a pocket QB as quickly as possible, but of course some of these guys it might take a little longer than others.

The real truth with Griffin is he never took to coaching. His Dad would visit the locker room and tell everyone how to play his son. It was a damn mess. Shanny got effed in that situation IMO and the idiot owner wasn't willing to consider the truth until he had fired a coach and heard the same thing from the new guy Gruden.

So glad we have a non-meddling owner man. We are very fortunate right now there as well.

TexasRam

Legend
Humility. If you don’t have it your growth is over.

Listen to Goff even now. Even after leading the NFL in points. When asked what the team can do better, his response is “I” can get better at a lot of things. When complimented he refers to the great job the guys up front are doing and Gurley and everyone else.

RG3 let his Baylor fame get to him. You come into the NFL as nothing, no matter what you have done.

For RG3 there is a lot of finger pointing at others. Not enough at self.

Just my opinion.

Ram65

Legend
One thing that stood out to me was RGIII wasn't healthy when he came back. He needed more time to heal the knee. That and his lack of being a pocket passer made it a rough road. Maybe he could have learned to be a pocket passer with Shanahan if he was willing to make the effort. The problem was he was so athletically gifted he didn't hone the craft of being a QB before he got to the NFL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally believe Shanahan. His assessment of RG3 proved to be accurate and was a d@mn shame for Griffin that he couldn't overcome his pride...Unlike Kaepernick, I think RG3 could have been a really good QB

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is actually one of the reasons why i'm against paying college athletes. Few of these colleges treat their players as NFL apprentices, they, imo, are more like unpaid interns, although still receiving college scholarships & free tuition where other students mostly pay. College football, like the pros, is win anyway you can, training players for the NFL is secondary to teaching them how to advance to the next level. Once a few of these players do actually arrive at the NFL, they often need 're-education' as to their abilities for the next level. College football programs do a disservice by not acting more like a trade school, preparing these kids for advancement. Sure, few may actually ever be drafted, but like music, medicine, art or even business school, how many actually reach the very, very top of their desired profession ? You can lead a very good & successful life with a college degree, a bit of common sense & the confidence required to pave your way, and sometimes paying attention to a wise mentor will help pay big dividends. Guys like RG3 are so celebrated at college, kinda like living gods on campus along with boosters & alumni delivering daily accolades, they may create unrealistic expectations for some in the real world. Now, he did go out and have a great rookie season, and injuries are part of the game you should prepare for, especially with insurance, but you must also buy into your coach's philosophy, at least in the beginning, and RG3 thought so highly of himself he couldn't or wouldn't adjust. For a guy with so much potential, things happen, some is mental, some physical, ... some a combination. jmo.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Holy Shit River... that a difficult read from an iPhone :LOL:

RGme defines the cliche “you can’t sqeeze blood from a turnip” from my perspective

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Holy crap River... that a difficult read from an iPhone :LOL:

RGme defines the cliche “you can’t sqeeze blood from a turnip” from my perspective

LOL, sorry about that. You summed it up in 7 words, as usual I can't get a thought out without filling an entire page.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
RG3 relied on his speed and quickness all his life successfully, and so by the NFL he hadn't developed any anticipation of the rush around him or evasiveness other QB's developed. Having said that, I think he had a lot of special talent--and the 2012 version was unstoppable--but he was simply too fragile for it. The injuries mounted way faster than his development.