RGIII Ran a 4.38 40

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Griffin III of Baylor University looks for a receiver during NCAA football game against Huskies in San Antonio Reuters

In case anyone was wondering, Robert Griffin III is fast.

Griffin, Baylor’s Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback, was unofficially timed at 4.41-seconds in the 40-yard dash on Sunday morning at the NFL Scouting Combine. That’s a fast time for any position, but for a quarterback it’s amazing. And then he did even better on his second attempt, finishing at 4.38 seconds.

If the 4.38-second time holds up officially, Griffin will be the fastest quarterback to run at the Combine in at least 12 years, as far back as complete and official data on the Combine is kept.

Griffin, who was an All-American hurdler at Baylor before deciding to devote himself completely to football, said he was hoping to finish in under 4.4, and he was actually shaking his head and looking disappointed after his first 40-yard dash, as if he thought he hadn’t run as fast as he could have. And he was right, running in three-hundredths of a second faster the second time around.

The reality is three-hundredths of a second here or there isn’t particularly important for Griffin, as far as NFL teams will be concerned. Everyone knows he’s an elite talent and perhaps the best athlete ever to play the quarterback position. All he did today was confirm that.

:shock:

Damn. New he was fast and would run well but...

Really glad it looks like he wont end up in our division, baring unforeseen circumstances

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I love how the media is having an orgasm with his 40 time. IDK why, but this year the combine is just so funny b/c of the media.

bluecoconuts

Legend
How is his durability? I mean Vick is fast but he can never play a full season. These fast scramble QB's usually don't last as long in the NFL. It's almost like clockwork. Put up amazing stats in the regular season, fold in the playoffs.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
How is his durability? I mean Vick is fast but he can never play a full season. These fast scramble QB's usually don't last as long in the NFL. It's almost like clockwork. Put up amazing stats in the regular season, fold in the playoffs.

Thats the only big concern with him, IMO. Hes a little taller than Vick and weighs more, but he is still a pretty damn good passer so he shouldnt run the ball as much and take unnecessary hits. He will stay in the pocket and not panic and run every time.

Angry Ram

Side note: I'm def. gonna get Madden 13. Fantasy draft that bitch...RG3 to Blackmon. :twisted:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
bluecoconuts said:

Thats the only big concern with him, IMO. Hes a little taller than Vick and weighs more, but he is still a pretty damn good passer so he shouldnt run the ball as much and take unnecessary hits. He will stay in the pocket and not panic and run every time.

Yeah. RGIII is a better passer than Vick was coming outta college. RGIII should hang out in the pocket a bit more than Vick. I also think he has the frame to take more hits. He is pretty much a Cam Newton Micheal Vick hybrid.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah. RGIII is a better passer than Vick was coming outta college. RGIII should hang out in the pocket a bit more than Vick. I also think he has the frame to take more hits. He is pretty much a Cam Newton Micheal Vick hybrid.

You know, I almost hate to compare him to such a great player, but the only comparison I can make is Randall Cunningham - and we all know how much of an athletic passer Cunningham was.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just saw the video of RGIII's broad jump. Very Impressive. It came in at 10 flat, but he exploded up as well as forward. Most guys dont get very far off the ground. Griffen was a solid 2-2 and 1/2 feet up.

Interesting to not Luck posted a 10'6" broad, so he actually bested RGIII

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
A slight edit: Gil Brandt timed RGIII at 4.34 in the 40

Maybe OLE Brandt's stop watch "hand-eye" coordination is on the fritz. :?!:

Anyway, I'm not sure his straight ahead speed is all that important, that is unless he gets to Tebow's size. :sly:

Angry Ram

Another thing, what if in that Baylor/OU game, that one pass wasn't tipped and caught into the Baylor WR's hands for a long TD? I'd bet OU would win that game, b/c that play just sucked the life out of OU. I mean, it really wasn't until after that game did RG3 get some serious attention.