RFIP's rapid reaction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

**Liked what I saw from Donald (penetration/disruption), Joyner (aggressiveness/tackling ability), Sam (showed up a lot, shocked me in that regard actually, Bayer (good hands/runs decently well), and Gaines (POG imo).

**Vanilla on both sides of the ball.

**Run D just awful.

**Pass pro just ok.

**GRob mixed bag for his first game, one bad wiff on stunt.

**Bayer looks very good catching the ball actually!

**Austin Davis, Mr Pre Season!!

**Gilbert did a few things decent ok but struggled with awareness and accuracy as the game wore on.

**Blake made some nice catches...could he or 15 push Pettis and/or Givens off the roster?

**Tavon in limited touches (PR) looked sudden and decisive (as did Givens on the KOR's).

**Britt dressed but was not involved.

**The Leg...not his best night.

Join in folks

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree with your assessment and I saw some of last years soft coverage's that I didn't like as well.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
**Liked what I saw from Donald (penetration/disruption), Joyner (aggressiveness/tackling ability), Sam (showed up a lot, shocked me in that regard actually, Bayer (good hands/runs decently well), and Gaines (POG imo).

**Vanilla on both sides of the ball.

**Run D just awful.

**Pass pro just ok.

**GRob mixed bag for his first game, one bad wiff on stunt.

**Bayer looks very good catching the ball actually!

**Austin Davis, Mr Pre Season!!

**Gilbert did a few things decent ok but struggled with awareness and accuracy as the game wore on.

**Blake made some nice catches...could he or 15 push Pettis and/or Givens off the roster?

**Tavon in limited touches (PR) looked sudden and decisive (as did Givens on the KOR's).

**Britt dressed but was not involved.

**The Leg...not his best night.

Join in folks
This seems ok for me. Rams and Fisher don't put a lot in to the first game.

Philly5

Rookie
Watched the game again this morning on condensed.

Best thing was Donald looks really quick. Immediate pressure up the middle can be real disruptive.

Worst things were we didn't tackle (especially against the run) and we continue to make a ton of stupid ill timed penalties.

FRO

Legend
Watched the game again this morning on condensed.

Best thing was Donald looks really quick. Immediate pressure up the middle can be real disruptive.

Worst things were we didn't tackle (especially against the run) and we continue to make a ton of stupid ill timed penalties.
I wonder if the bad tackling has to do with not being able to tackle ever at practice?

Everybody needs to keep in mind 3/5ths of our starting offensive line didn't play.

Our starting QB didn't play.

Our starting MLB didn't play.

Our starting DTs didn't play.

Our starting CBs didn't play.

With all that we looked as good as the Saints did. They were without Brees however.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
14 penalties, 118 yards! It's game 1 of the pre-season so they left themselves PLENTY of room for improvement. And that's all I got to say bout that!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree with most of your bullet points, my added $.02:

-Donald: I was expecting more after all the hype. He needs to do more than just show some penetration on a couple plays, he needs to show up in the box score like the Saints' DL did. Tyrunn Walker and Akiem Hicks looked like monsters and dominated compared to the Rams' DL.

-Sam: agree with your comment, but I think Westbrooks also showed well (even if more in scrub time) as he hustled around the field and seemed always around the play.

-LBs: did nothing to erase the disappointment that this was not addressed one bit in the offseason.

-Bayer: agree it was fun to watch him catch, but yet another hands/no-blocking TE is the last thing we need to add. Rams need a TE that can block. Or instead of a 4th catching TE it would be nice to have a true FB.

-Bailey's suspension is just so frustrating, he's the real deal.

-Chase Reynolds at RB is a farce, but gotta love his ST contributions.

-The DB that showed the best in my mind was EJ Gaines.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Saw a lot of the same filth as years past. TERRIBLE LB play. Teams will counter our front four pressure with dump offs and crossing routes just like the Saints did all night if we don't unfuck that 10 yd cushion we continue to give. Donald is what I thought he was. Explosive. Offense was much of same. Depressing. I know it was game 1 of the preseason, but I saw waaay too many of our bad tendencies in this game than I hoped I would. Oh, and Quick looked like he gave up on that long ball down left sideline, the sulked back to huddle. W. T. F......

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The LB play was awful. And Ray Ray ....he looked lost out there. He couldn't get off blocks and missed some tackles ala "Craig Dahl".

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Saw a lot of the same filth as years past. TERRIBLE LB play. Teams will counter our front four pressure with dump offs and crossing routes just like the Saints did all night if we don't unfuck that 10 yd cushion we continue to give. Donald is what I thought he was. Explosive. Offense was much of same. Depressing. I know it was game 1 of the preseason, but I saw waaay too many of our bad tendencies in this game than I hoped I would. Oh, and Quick looked like he gave up on that long ball down left sideline, the sulked back to huddle. W. T. F......

So I guess not seeing the things YOU expected to see had very little to with the 60% of the starting Offensive Line not being dressed. Long, Wells, and Saffold. No Bradford. SO 4 STARTERS not playing a single snap of Offense.

And lets see,,, No Brockers, no Langford, no Laurinaits, No Jenkins, No Johnson. That's 5 starters who didn't play a down on defense. By my count, that is NINE of TWENTY TWO starters watching from the sidelines, and you weren't impressed? GOT YA!

As far as the ball to Quick, that ball was at least 5 yards over thrown. he "gave up" on that ball? OK!

BD-TomCat

Rookie
posted it in another thread copied it here

My observations. You can tell that the lack of tackling in practice is a factor. Like what I saw from Ray Ray he was active. Did he make mistakes yes but he also displayed athleticism keeping up with Graham and the other Te I think his name was hill. Made a bad decision going for the pick and gave up alot of Yac. Dont mind the mistake cause it was an aggressive one. If he had got the pick it would have been a big play. Dunbar was terrible at the MLB spot and we are in trouble if JL goes down.

Loved what I saw from Donald his first step was very evident as he was in the backfield on several occasions. Sam and Westbrook both shined during thier play in the game thats going to be a hard decision between the two unless they drop one of the DT's Westbrook looks like he can slide inside easily.

Backup Tackles are atrocious not a good showing by them. Walker destroyed who ever he lined up against. Looked like they move him around alot cb didnt look to bad in my opinion except whoever got juked by cooks on that TD.

you can see the potential in Gilbert he had alot of rookie jitters but did show he had the courage to fire the ball into tight windows.

My boy "No Splash" Cody Davis got Ran the freak over he gotta do better then that.

overall decent performance nothing to be mad about except the kicking

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did anyone see Matt Daniels out there?

Philly5

Rookie
Also wonder if our practices contribute to tackling problems.

I have learned my lesson that if the bad tackling and dumb penalties continue through all four preseason games I will expect them to to still be a problem in the regular season. There is no light switch.

Debacled

Starter
Teams are going to look really rusty when it comes to tackling. I mentioned this before in another thread, but because of the new limitations imposed by the new CBA players really do not get enough contact practices in to knock any rust off and get back into the hang of really sticking guys.

Backup o-line is in trouble. Its young and where its not young its bad.

Davis looked ok to me, not great as everyone else has been saying. A lot of passes that should have been made. TD pass was almost zipped over Franklin's head and that deep ball on the Givens PI was woefully underthrown. Mighta been nerves, but he was sailing balls.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wonder if the bad tackling has to do with not being able to tackle ever at practice?

Everybody needs to keep in mind 3/5ths of our starting offensive line didn't play.

Our starting QB didn't play.

Our starting MLB didn't play.

Our starting DTs didn't play.

Our starting CBs didn't play.

With all that we looked as good as the Saints did. They were without Brees however.
Agree with everything except this last part.

I agree with most of your bullet points, my added $.02:

-Donald: I was expecting more after all the hype. He needs to do more than just show some penetration on a couple plays, he needs to show up in the box score like the Saints' DL did. Tyrunn Walker and Akiem Hicks looked like monsters and dominated compared to the Rams' DL.

-Sam: agree with your comment, but I think Westbrooks also showed well (even if more in scrub time) as he hustled around the field and seemed always around the play.

-LBs: did nothing to erase the disappointment that this was not addressed one bit in the offseason.

-Bayer: agree it was fun to watch him catch, but yet another hands/no-blocking TE is the last thing we need to add. Rams need a TE that can block. Or instead of a 4th catching TE it would be nice to have a true FB.

-Bailey's suspension is just so frustrating, he's the real deal.

-Chase Reynolds at RB is a farce, but gotta love his ST contributions.

-The DB that showed the best in my mind was EJ Gaines.
Didn't see Westbrooks do much of anything. Really didn't. That Hicks from NO, #72, just wow....I thought HE was Aaron Donald, or rather that's what I'd expected Donald to look like after all the hype. But I agree with so much of this from both of you two.
We seemed sloppy. Not sloppy like the Denver/Hawks game, but unorganized sloppy. Out of position sloppy. Maybe all the missing players made it look like that, but you'd expect the #2 players to not look so undisciplined. Lots of work. I'm sure week 2 will be much better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Teams are going to look really rusty when it comes to tackling. I mentioned this before in another thread, but because of the new limitations imposed by the new CBA players really do not get enough contact practices in to knock any rust off and get back into the hang of really sticking guys.

Exactly. Not to mention teams really try hard to minimize the exposure to injury. This ain't your Dick Vermeil days.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Does that surprise you? I does me, a little.

Mildly. But he just got back on the field this past week, and has been limited to 3rd unit reps at SS. The thing that did surprise me, was them getting a look at Joyner at outside CB, with the 2nd unit, with Gaines working at the Nickel.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So I guess not seeing the things YOU expected to see had very little to with the 60% of the starting Offensive Line not being dressed. Long, Wells, and Saffold. No Bradford. SO 4 STARTERS not playing a single snap of Offense.

And lets see,,, No Brockers, no Langford, no Laurinaits, No Jenkins, No Johnson. That's 5 starters who didn't play a down on defense. By my count, that is NINE of TWENTY TWO starters watching from the sidelines, and you weren't impressed? GOT YA!

As far as the ball to Quick, that ball was at least 5 yards over thrown. he "gave up" on that ball? OK!
Simma down Coach. I am simply stating my frustrations with things I saw in the game. I am aware that it was PS1, and many of our players were out. Stop attacking me for having an opinion. I enjoy your posts and look forward to your camp reports, and if you have paid attention to any of my posts, you would realize that I am not a Rams basher by any measure. No need to attack any negative(ish) post from me. I will try to look on the bright side in the future....