Revisiting the Cook Signing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
iced said:
jap said:
We don't need Jared to be a world class blocker. However, just effectively screening off defenders is still a significant contribution. Generally speaking, when you see an RB make a long run, especially around the end, you can pretty much bet your life a WR made a critical block that strung that RB. The critical point is: with a monster talent like Tavon on the field, everyone else! on the offense has to contribute to the blocking effort, no exceptions allowed!!!

If Isaac Bruce can rack up 14 pancake blocks in a single game, why can't Jared make just one single effective screening block? Is that really too much to ask from your highly paid FA TE/WR? :roll:

exactly

i cant believe people are downplaying the blocking by a TIGHT END, even if he is more a receiver - he has been used in the traditional role...by its semantics even still at that point,because even receivers block. the fact that he's closer to the line makes it even more important..

also makes him more effective,as well as the playcalling (wonder what the offense is gonna do when a receiving only tight end comes into the game..hmmm..)

Everyone knew what Cook was regarding blocking when he was signed. Why would you expect that to change this late in his career? If you want to argue that it was a bad signing because we paid that much for a player that can't block, go ahead, I'm not arguing that. I thought they paid too much at the time. But arguing that he needs to block better isn't going to change anything. I'm simply suggesting that by playing to his strengths, the Rams could at least get something out of him instead of him barely touching the ball and also risking the health of other players when they choose to use him as a blocker.

Play to each person's strengths. You'll get more value out of them. If you want to run a play that's contingent on him blocking, I'd suggest using someone else for that particular play.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Cook signing doesn't look so hot early, but it is early. He come into his own just like any of our other hot shot fast guys. Rams as a whole have a lot of growing to do and Cook will grow with them. He could still earn his big money, guys. Too soon for this conversation. Give it another month. We haven't even hit the half way yet.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:
iced said:
jap said:
We don't need Jared to be a world class blocker. However, just effectively screening off defenders is still a significant contribution. Generally speaking, when you see an RB make a long run, especially around the end, you can pretty much bet your life a WR made a critical block that strung that RB. The critical point is: with a monster talent like Tavon on the field, everyone else! on the offense has to contribute to the blocking effort, no exceptions allowed!!!

If Isaac Bruce can rack up 14 pancake blocks in a single game, why can't Jared make just one single effective screening block? Is that really too much to ask from your highly paid FA TE/WR? :roll:

exactly

i cant believe people are downplaying the blocking by a TIGHT END, even if he is more a receiver - he has been used in the traditional role...by its semantics even still at that point,because even receivers block. the fact that he's closer to the line makes it even more important..

also makes him more effective,as well as the playcalling (wonder what the offense is gonna do when a receiving only tight end comes into the game..hmmm..)

Everyone knew what Cook was regarding blocking when he was signed. Why would you expect that to change this late in his career? If you want to argue that it was a bad signing because we paid that much for a player that can't block, go ahead, I'm not arguing that. I thought they paid too much at the time. But arguing that he needs to block better isn't going to change anything. I'm simply suggesting that by playing to his strengths, the Rams could at least get something out of him instead of him barely touching the ball and also risking the health of other players when they choose to use him as a blocker.

Play to each person's strengths. You'll get more value out of them. If you want to run a play that's contingent on him blocking, I'd suggest using someone else for that particular play.

That is what I'm arguing - pointing out, hence the revisting...

But also mentioning if he wants to be on the field more, wants to help move the ball down the field, then he needs to block.

V3

Hall of Fame
iced said:
V3 said:
iced said:
jap said:

exactly

But also mentioning if he wants to be on the field more, wants to help move the ball down the field, then he needs to block.

He doesn't need to be able to block to be on the field. There are plenty of weapons in the NFL that can't block. The difference is their OC knows how to utilize them. There are plenty of ways to use a receiver that doesn't require them to block. I'd rather be using him then just let him sit and do nothing.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
V3 said:
iced said:
V3 said:
iced said:
jap said:

exactly

He doesn't need to be able to block to be on the field. There are plenty of weapons in the NFL that can't block. The difference is their OC knows how to utilize them. There are plenty of ways to use a receiver that doesn't require them to block. I'd rather be using him then just let him sit and do nothing.
Couldn't agree more

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rabid Ram said:
V3 said:
iced said:
V3 said:
iced said:
jap said:

exactly

Couldn't agree more

wow..every player needs to block

it's pretty sad some wr's block better than a tight end.

most big runs, especially ones outside, result because of WR/TE blocking.