Residual benefits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have plenty of thoughts there. Just not anyone who played for McVay or Phillips (off the top of my head).

The OL FAs I like are:
LG Ronald Leary
RG Larry Warford
LT Andrew Whitworth
LT/LG/C/RG/RT J.C. Tretter
LG/RG T.J. Lang
RG Kevin Zeitler
LT Branden Albert (if cut)*
LT Russell Okung (if let go)*
LG/RG Chance Warmack*
OG Luke Joeckel*
C Nick Mangold (if cut)*
C Jason Kelce (if cut)*

* - These are guys I'd take a shot on at the right price.

I think the addition of Whitworth and Tretter would be great additions - Leary too (I hadn't realised he was a FA this year - that would definitely sure up the left side of the o-line AND totally change the trench.

LT - Andrew Whitworth
LG - Ronald Leary
C - JC Tretter
RG - Saffold
RT - Havenstein

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have plenty of thoughts there. Just not anyone who played for McVay or Phillips (off the top of my head).

The OL FAs I like are:
LG Ronald Leary
RG Larry Warford
LT Andrew Whitworth
LT/LG/C/RG/RT J.C. Tretter
LG/RG T.J. Lang
RG Kevin Zeitler
LT Branden Albert (if cut)*
LT Russell Okung (if let go)*
LG/RG Chance Warmack*
OG Luke Joeckel*
C Nick Mangold (if cut)*
C Jason Kelce (if cut)*

* - These are guys I'd take a shot on at the right price.

Depends on the blocking scheme for some of them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think the addition of Whitworth and Tretter would be great additions - Leary too (I hadn't realised he was a FA this year - that would definitely sure up the left side of the o-line AND totally change the trench.

LT - Andrew Whitworth
LG - Ronald Leary
C - JC Tretter
RG - Saffold
RT - Havenstein

I like it, but that looks quite expensive.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm in the boat that believes we should tread carefully with our free agency strategy. We must retain Tru to avoid another hole to fill and we must also be mindful of future contracts like Ogeltree and AD. With that said, I think we confidently land Garçon, Whitworth, and Vernon Davis, with the intention of releasing Sims, kendricks, and Barnes. As much as I would also love to send Saffold packing, I don't see us cutting him because he acts as insurance. We throw GROB at LG and Brown at RG with a minor veteran signing at center and a high rookie selection to groom and eventually start at center. Davis replaces Kendricks with a cheaper contract and reliable hands. Whitworth becomes our anchor for a season or two and provides our boys with a veteran to learn from. Same goes for Garçon.

I think one thing this team has been lacking for a LONG time is a veteran presence. While it's great to allow a lot of young guys to start to build chemistry and experience amongst each other, successful teams always ensure they carry vets that can keep the kids in line and teach them. Look at all the last several years, the same teams are always in the race bc they have a great balance of young talent and veterans to provide leadership. All we've ever had is a litter of pups on the field, it's amazing to me how we've never spent the adequate capital to have more veterans on this team. Add to the fact we had a careless HC and you can see why this team was penalty-ridden and undisciplined. I never believed this strategy would build an immediate winner and when you don't have the proper coaches in place, it's easy to see how this train ran off the tracks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd take Vernon Davis over Kendricks in a heartbeat. Agree on a vet presence. Look at how well the OL played when Garrett Reynolds was starting and GRob played his best, no penalties, no missed assignments, not sacks allowed the last 5 games, so I'm not ready to give up on him at LT. I want to see how the new OL coach does with him before I throw him under the bus.

There will be some decent FA OL the Rams can bring in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
DeMarcus Ware & Dekoda Watson would be a great Help to our Pas rush!
I've been thinking a lot about Nick Mangold for Center, and Russell Okung at LT! JC Tretter could be nice too!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Davis replaces Kendricks with a cheaper contract and reliable hands.
The media overrates 49ers and Vermin Davis was at one time a fantasy darling with lots of ESPN highlights, but the stats just don't back this "reliable hands" claim. Davis once led the entire NFL in drops with 12 in 2009. Twice he had seasons with drops in the 9-10% range. Kendricks' worst season rate was 7.5%. Davis' best season drop rate is 3.4%, Kendricks is 2.6%. Davis' career average drop percent is 6.4%, Kendricks is 5.5%.

I'm not even going to get into his character drama, I simply think Davis is an overrated football player that I do not wish to see on the Rams. This would not even be a lateral move, it would be a bad move. And I say this with no love for Kendricks -- in fact, I was one of the very few bitching about the Rams signing him to his big contract at the time (link) -- so get rid of Kendricks, fine, but replace him with a younger, cheaper, better, more potential player.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
The media overrates 49ers and Vermin Davis was at one time a fantasy darling with lots of ESPN highlights, but the stats just don't back this "reliable hands" claim. Davis once led the entire NFL in drops with 12 in 2009. Twice he had seasons with drops in the 9-10% range. Kendricks' worst season rate was 7.5%. Davis' best season drop rate is 3.4%, Kendricks is 2.6%. Davis' career average drop percent is 6.4%, Kendricks is 5.5%.

I'm not even going to get into his character drama, I simply think Davis is an overrated football player that I do not wish to see on the Rams. This would not even be a lateral move, it would be a bad move. And I say this with no love for Kendricks -- in fact, I was one of the very few bitching about the Rams signing him to his big contract at the time (link) -- so get rid of Kendricks, fine, but replace him with a younger, cheaper, better, more potential player.

Fair enough sir, I agree with your last point. As long as we don't invest too heavily a pick I would agree with your assessment as well. I was under the perception that Davis had turned a new leaf and would provide us a vet leader, however if what you suggest is correct and the guy continues to be a lockerroom distraction, then no thank you. McVay will have the ultimate assessment of the guy, we'll see!