Residual benefits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Whenever a team hires new coaches, those coaches makeover their teams with players that fit their systems. Frequently, they acquire players from their former teams. For this thread, my question to my Ram brethren is this, who will we pluck from the Redskins and Broncos?

TexasRam

Legend
I know people aren't the biggest fan but I have always liked Deshaun Jackson, I'll take me some Garçon as well. What about Jordan Reed?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know people aren't the biggest fan but I have always liked Deshaun Jackson, I'll take me some Garçon as well. What about Jordan Reed?

Reed isn't available until 2022, IIRC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some possibilities:
Redskins
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Vernon Davis
DE/NT Chris Baker
ILB Will Compton (RFA)
ILB Perry Riley (played on the Raiders in 2016)
NT Terrance Knighton (released at final cuts in 2016)
ILB Keenan Robinson (played on the Giants in 2016)
CB Chris Culliver (missed all of 2016 with an injury)

Broncos
OLB DeMarcus Ware
NT Sylvester Williams
DE/NT Vance Walker
DE Billy Winn
ILB/OLB Dekoda Watson
ILB Todd Davis (RFA)
OLB Lerentee McCray (played on the Bills in 2016)
CB Kayvon Webster

There are other players who played under Wade Phillips in previous stops (Houston and Dallas) who might be in play as well. Sean Lissemore, Johnathan Joseph, Earl Mitchell, D.J. Swearinger, Brian Cushing, Terrell McClain, Antonio Smith, Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, and Barry Church are all guys who played under Wade and might be available this offseason.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Some possibilities:
Redskins
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Vernon Davis
DE/NT Chris Baker
ILB Will Compton (RFA)

Broncos
OLB DeMarcus Ware
NT Sylvester Williams
DE/NT Vance Walker
DE Billy Winn
ILB/OLB Dekoda Watson
ILB Todd Davis (RFA)
CB Kayvon Webster

There are other players who played under Wade Phillips in previous stops (Houston and Dallas) who might be in play as well. Sean Lissemore, Johnathan Joseph, Earl Mitchell, D.J. Swearinger, Brian Cushing, Terrell McClain, Antonio Smith, Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, and Barry Church are all guys who played under Wade and might be available this offseason.
That's actually a pretty decent list compared to our last two coaches whom we took all the Titans or Giants cast offs.

Some damn good talent on that list that can help us and for prices that won't kill us.

If I had to choose two it would be Garcone and Desean.

Good god with Garcone,Jackson, Tavon, pharaoh , and Thomas that would be a beastly WR corp and if Higbee develops and even if we kept butter fingers Kendricks our passing game would net a guaranteed 3k plus.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Some possibilities:
Redskins
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Vernon Davis
DE/NT Chris Baker
ILB Will Compton (RFA)

Broncos
OLB DeMarcus Ware
NT Sylvester Williams
DE/NT Vance Walker
DE Billy Winn
ILB/OLB Dekoda Watson
ILB Todd Davis (RFA)
CB Kayvon Webster

I'd love to get DJ Swearinger in a Rams uni...

I'm really excited to see what gets done with our D-line though...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Garçon, of course, would be fantastic!

I like all the DL's and LB's that may want to follow Bum's boy. Just about all of them would bolster an already stacked front 7

Psycho_X

Legend
Man, if I was confident Cushing could stay on a football field for 16 games he'd be a nice stop gap LB'er to help transition into Phillips defense. Dude is a walking injury though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bradley Robey
Some guy named...What's that FS from the Broncos? LOL....Never should have left. Need an ILB.

From the skins...Ty Niskey....dude outta Canada...Shoulda never let him leave either. Desean in LA.....LOL....No way he doesn't test positive in his hometown....And I like Desean. He was a beast in HS....Beast at Cal...Beast at Philly. Doubt we need him at his price now.
Man, if I was confident Cushing could stay on a football field for 16 games he'd be a nice stop gap LB'er to help transition into Phillips defense. Dude is a walking injury though.
Misses his steroids...seriously.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm just not a big free agent lover, prefer to build thru the draft, but I get why the Rams will probably be bigger buyers than I would like this offseason. That said I am all for rounding out a roster like this with some smart pickups, or even big investment where it makes sense -- like the last free agents I lobbied for were Rodney Hudson and Aqib Talib, but oh well past is past. Just hope they don't overpay for reputation over production, which is why I lean towards no to Desean. Garcon seems neutral on that scale so I'm meh either way. Vermin Davis of course would ruin my offseason with projectile :puke:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A.J. Buoye from Houston, when Wade Phillips was HC.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I do not want Jackson with his rumored gang ties. Garcon would be a huge get. Wheaton is another option, even though he's not with McVay or Phillips.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Garcon is the fit, no doubt about it. He'd mentor our young guys like Tavon and Coop. Might even help produce a surprise in either Thomas or Spruce.

And of course OL, of which the OG depth is most favorable for us to make a quality addition.

Defensively I think they go after a NT as well. Why? Because Wade will recognize having a guy who can two-gap in the middle will help our undersized interior LBs. Also because I think Brock is a real nice fit at 5T and that's where I expect him to end up under Wade.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Realistic possibilities considering our cap situation AND the impending AD contract which will be the richest non-QB contract in NFL history.

Redskins
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Vernon Davis
DE/NT Chris Baker

Broncos
OLB DeMarcus Ware
DE Billy Winn
ILB Todd Davis (RFA)
CB Kayvon Webster

Now... Here's a possibility... The Rams could FRONT load as many as five guys... leaving only room for maybe ONE OL FA... and draft picks. In this case, the lack of a first rounder helps the FA situation.

In this scenario, the Rams let Britt, Quick and Kendricks go.

The sign, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Vernon Davis, DeMarcus Ware and Todd Davis. The bulk of the money would go to the WRs. Vernon Davis is a pro TE who is at the end of his career, but he's a pro who KNOWS THE SYSTEM. That's so important.

Imagine our offense with two WRs who KNOW the offense, who don't have serious drop issues and a TE who will fight for the ball, still has decent speed, still is a solid route runner and gives the D another consideration (which not all TEs do).

Demarcus Ware would be had on a one/two year deal to help install the system, inculcate the D with a winning culture and help Quinn manage the change to stand up rusher. Platooning Ware and Quinn would be helpful for both in that there'd be NO drop off and Quinn and Ware could be even more creatively deployed by Philips in a way that would further confuse opposing offenses. Lastly, Todd Davis, starting ILB from Denver. I don't know if we will retain McDonald. If we don't, then it's likely that Barron goes back to SS which creates a need for ILB next to Tree. Todd Davis started next to Brandon Marshall for Wade Philips, knows the D inside and out and is a very good defender...good enough that they let Danny Trevathan go via FA.

Now, he's probably going to be tendered at the 1st round level, so that's why I have him last on the list, cuz I really don't expect us to get him and we'll need to use that money on McDonald so we can keep Barron inside or maybe... Dekoda Watson if Philips thinks he's worth bringing in and is ready to step up.

I'd have to work with a capologist to hash out the numbers, but I'm pretty certain that there's still room for a mid-level OL and the reserve for the Rookie Signing Pool.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have to work with a capologist to hash out the numbers, but I'm pretty certain that there's still room for a mid-level OL and the reserve for the Rookie Signing Pool.

I've worked the numbers a bit. Depending on whom we cut/trade, we'll have between $32 million and $50 million to spend this offseason.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Sportrac has us currently at $44,116,822 in available CAP space for 2017. If say, for example, we were to cut only Barnes, Sims & Mason, we'd be closer to the $50,500,000. mark. We could probably add another $1mil+ if we cut a new contract with Ogletree prior to the season opening, as it is, the Rams are working off his 5'th year option contract. jmo.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
How about an O-lineman. Not heard anyone suggesting one. A center would be welcome.

I mentioned it in another post: "We could go after Andrew Whitworth, for a season, I know he's a bit long in the tooth now, but he's solid quality (and an LA kid) or Riley Reiff another solid T.

I'd also try and upgrade at C too, AQ Shipley springs to mind or JC Tretter. Two strong, reliable vet C's to help our young QBs."

I've not had time to scout the draftees as of yet, but I believe we need a stable vet (or two) on that line and upgrades at key positions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about an O-lineman. Not heard anyone suggesting one. A center would be welcome.

I have plenty of thoughts there. Just not anyone who played for McVay or Phillips (off the top of my head).

The OL FAs I like are:
LG Ronald Leary
RG Larry Warford
LT Andrew Whitworth
LT/LG/C/RG/RT J.C. Tretter
LG/RG T.J. Lang
RG Kevin Zeitler
LT Branden Albert (if cut)*
LT Russell Okung (if let go)*
LG/RG Chance Warmack*
OG Luke Joeckel*
C Nick Mangold (if cut)*
C Jason Kelce (if cut)*

* - These are guys I'd take a shot on at the right price.