Report: Will Witherspoon has talked to Falcons, Rams/PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Report: Will Witherspoon has talked to Falcons, Rams

Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 3, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/03/report-will-witherspoon-has-talked-to-falcons-rams/

A free agent linebacker with more than 150 regular season starts has reportedly been in touch with a pair of NFC clubs.

Will Witherspoon, who played 16 games for St. Louis a season ago, has had contact with the Rams and Falcons, according to NBC affiliate WJHG-TV in Panama City, Florida. According to a story posted on the station’s website Wednesday, Weatherspoon has discussed a deal with both clubs, he indicated last week.

The 33-year-old Witherspoon was primarily a reserve for St. Louis last season, recording 12 tackles. Witherspoon, who played high school football in Panama City, told WJHG-TV that he wants to play in 2014.

The 6-foot-1, 242-pound Witherspoon would likely play outside linebacker were he to return to St. Louis, which employs a 4-3 scheme. In Atlanta, Witherspoon could figure as an inside linebacker in the team’s base 3-4 defense.

The Falcons lost an expected starter at inside linebacker when Sean Weatherspoon suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in June. They later added ex-Texan Tim Dobbins to bolster their depth at the position.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Replacing Weatherspoon with Witherspoon. They can have him because he has really been in decline the last few years.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Would the reasoning be that he is insurance for JL55? Can't remember him playing in the middle but I know we are thin there, he IS a savvy veteran....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now the only reason to bring Will Witherspoon back would be to back up James Laurinaitis, however, IMO I like what Tavarius Wilson brings to the table. Now I understand if the Ram coaching staff would feel better off with a veteran, however, I would let him sign with the Falcons who IMO could headed for another down year and will be looking to be making a coaching change next season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Now the only reason to bring Will Witherspoon back would be to back up James Laurinaitis, however, IMO I like what Tavarius Wilson brings to the table. Now I understand if the Ram coaching staff would feel better off with a veteran, however, I would let him sign with the Falcons who IMO could headed for another down year and will be looking to be making a coaching change next season.

So you think accepting the " Hard Knocks" gig was a ploy of some sort ? Be it to motivate the team ,give Smith an excuse for another down season etc?
I agree Smith is on his way out if his team misses the playoffs ,and I think that IF really is when.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So you think accepting the " Hard Knocks" gig was a ploy of some sort ? Be it to motivate the team ,give Smith an excuse for another down season etc?
I agree Smith is on his way out if his team misses the playoffs ,and I think that IF really is when.

IMO I like the other teams in their division better and their defense will struggle again IMHO. Mike Smith is a defensive coach and as a Head Coach that side of the ball should not be struggling considering your back ground along with defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan.

Now the Falcons offense is very good, but they really don't have much of a rushing attack so I see them losing many high scoring games. 6-10 will get Smith fired and IMO that's how I see it, but God knows I've been wrong before.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Time is right for one of the newer young fresh UDFA Lb'ers to step up and take Spoons position last season. Snead has some decent candidates here who can play the middle i.e. Tavarius Wilson, Johnny Millard, Etienne Sabino,Caleb McSurdy plus both Duncan & Alec Ogletree have played inside too if one of the many OSLB'ers were to really step up.

I do not have any big concerns if JL were to miss games.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Time is right for one of the newer young fresh UDFA Lb'ers to step up and take Spoons position last season. Snead has some decent candidates here who can play the middle i.e. Tavarius Wilson, Johnny Millard, Etienne Sabino,Caleb McSurdy plus both Duncan & Alec Ogletree have played inside too if one of the many OSLB'ers were to really step up.

I do not have any big concerns if JL were to miss games.

Agreed Dunbar could move inside (he really knows the defense) and Ray Ray Armstrong on the outside I'd like to see Colin Kaepernick try to take off and run with Olgetree & Armstrong on the outside, might be worth taking the 15 yards for unnecessary roughness.:sneaky:

jap

Legend
Agreed Dunbar could move inside (he really knows the defense) and Ray Ray Armstrong on the outside I'd like to see Colin Kaepernick try to take off and run with Olgetree & Armstrong on the outside, might be worth taking the 15 yards for unnecessary roughness.:sneaky:

In such a scenario, the '9ers would be permanently de-Kaepernicked! :sneaky:

jap

Legend
He played out of position as the team's MLB before JL55.

Will lost an awful lot of his vitality playing MLB for us. The DT's were not good enough to keep him clean, and he was not stout enough to handle the pounding he took from centers & guards. He was a shell of his old super-active self when he finally left the Horns.

Moral? You can't put a lightweight MLB out there unless you have enough beef up front to keep him clean.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Watching him move around last year I think his tank is about empty. He was a very good player that never got the respect he deserved.