Report: Top prospect Hurst could fall to Day 3 due to heart condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
He might be a nice pick up as a rotational piece for the Dline, if he makes it to the fourth round, as I'm not sure we should use our lone 3rd round pick on anyone other than a LB or an Olineman.

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I mentioned this possibility in our ROD Mock draft. I had him high on my Big Board for the Lions but passed on him for Taven Bryan just because there was a lack of information on how this medical issue would play out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wonder what his specific condition is???
Whatever it is, he's not strong enough and not worth extending.
I've played during a myocardial infarction and one time my heart fell right out of my chest.
I still managed to be a decoy though.

</implied>

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Whatever it is, he's not strong enough and not worth extending.
I've played during a myocardial infarction and one time my heart fell right out of my chest.
I still managed to be a decoy though.
until I saw that implied....I was just gonna say, "X, you're my type of playa mane"

Ram65

Legend
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/maurice-hurst?id=32462018-0002-5598-8798-e46b4c7bd5a7
Hurst is the son a former NFL cornerback of the same name, though Nicole Page, the former Patriots cheerleader has been the only parent the younger Maurice has ever known. In fact, Maurice, Junior wears jersey 73 because it is the opposite of the number 37 his dad wore. The two-time All-Massachusetts high school football pick redshirted his first year in Ann Arbor. In 2014, he played seven games as a reserve (three tackles, one for loss). Four starts came his way in 13 games played during his sophomore season, and he responded with 35 tackles, 6.5 for loss, and three sacks. While Hurst isn't the biggest of tackles, he stays square against double-teams and his get-off and hustle outside the box helped him make 34 stops, 11.5 for loss, and 4.5 sacks as a junior. EKG performed at the combine showed irregularities.
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 1-2
NFL Comparison
Maliek Collins
Overview
Hurst is an upfield three-technique who gets out of the blocks ahead of his competition as soon as the starter's pistol goes off. His ability to come out fast and low should create opportunities to become a disruptive penetrator, but he has to prove that he has the strength to play through redirect blocks and hold up against NFL interior linemen. Will need to be cleared medically at re-check after heart irregularities showed up at combine.
Strengths
  • Has disruptive initial quickness when ball is snapped
  • Comes off the ball low and looking to eat in the backfield
  • Once he gets into the gap, can get skinny and slither through
  • Too quick for blockers to reach or trap
  • Motor and movement get him access to the pocket as a rusher
  • Flurries with his hands like a lightweight boxer
  • Bats away early punch attempts creating balance advantages
  • Light feet help him bounce from gap to gap challenging slow-footed linemen
  • Makes plays well beyond his gap thanks to quickness and plus motor
  • Quick to punch and disengage against move blocks on outside zone
  • Effective in twist game
Weaknesses
  • Is smallish for interior life
  • Doesn't have the thick frame that lends itself to adding a lot more functional mass
  • Big maulers can give him the blues when they square him up
  • A firm punch will bounce him way out of his rush lane
  • Has to close the gap on longer, stronger blockers or he gets in trouble
  • Uses forward lean to create power that upper body is lacking
  • Goes head-first into initial contact and loses sight of the ball
  • Sticks to blocks and is slow to shed
  • Pass rush comes from movement and twists over hand usage and rush counters
Sources Tell Us

"He's only going to play for 4-3, upfield teams as a three-technique. That's the only place that works for him. He's got a get-off that is crazy fast and if he gets with the right coordinator, he's going to be tough to block." - AFC team area scout.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Best Dlinema in the draft IMO. The last thing I read was that he was cleared to play. He would be a steal in round 3, even if he only played for 4 years.

Even though the Rams have other more pressing needs, how do you pass on adding him to the Dline rotation on a cheap rookie contract?

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
As ROD’s resident Michigan fan this guy can play but I’m not so sure we use a 3rd or 4th round pick on him.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I dunno, maybe if he lasts to tje 4th? We already have Easley to back u p Donald. We need OLBs and swing OTs too much to use our 3rd on a guy who is a med risk.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be limited to playing Donald's spot according to the report above.
And not even that. He gets a Donald comp a lot because Donald is technically undersized but Donald is one of the best DT's ever. I'm not sure Hurst can do the same

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@-X-

See, I was joking with you....but it's to a point....short careers....young men....play as long as you can....it's risky...so is surfing the wedge...climbing a cliff...driving....going hat-less....lets see who gets that last one...

This kid probably has a heart condition...that I'm sure several MD's will say is too dangerous to play...reminds me of Hank Gathers....some will say he CAN play on the right medication....yet...not one of the comments say, this dude should definitely NOT play...many want to draft him....and could care less if he drops on the field in OTA's....

And, I get all this flack for saying a guy should try his best to stay on the field with some head trauma....and guess what?...head trauma is less serious than a heart condition....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And, I get all this flack for saying a guy should try his best to stay on the field with some head trauma....and guess what?...head trauma is less serious than a heart condition....

It can be. OTOH, heart conditions are not known to at times lead to such behavioral changes that the injured becomes uncontrollably violent and kills somebody. There is significant evidence of that occurring in some head traumas.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
And, I get all this flack for saying a guy should try his best to stay on the field with some head trauma....and guess what?...head trauma is less serious than a heart condition.

A good rule of thumb to follow is this: health, whether physical or mental, comes before everything else. To want someone to play in a game so that our team can win in spite of their condition and in spite of the possibility they could suffer long-lasting consequences if they play, is in my opinion selfish and tends to piss some people off.

Robert Quinn has a brain tumor. Stedman Bailey survived two gunshot wounds to the head. Quinn will play again this season and Bailey wants to. That's their business and their choice. But if they wanted to preserve their health instead and get out of the NFL, it would be meanspirited to question their courage or their character. See how that works?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows. Barring insider information on a medical report we don't have the pieces to make a meaningful call on him. All I care about is that the Rams vet the F out of him. Don't want to see them waste any picks, gotta bring in dudes who have a chance with each of them.