Report: Ryan, Idzik ready to move on from Mark Sanchez

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23415410/report-rex-ryan-john-idzik-ready-to-move-on-from-mark-sanchez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... rk-sanchez</a>

A day after first-year Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg reportedly wanted rookie quarterback Geno Smith to start over veteran Mark Sanchez in Week 1 of the regular season, coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik also prefer Smith to Sanchez, according to the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta.

According to Mehta, "Ryan, Idzik and much of the team's key decision makers are on board with moving on from Sanchez," the team's first-round pick in 2009 who has been one of the league's worst quarterbacks in recent seasons.

Ryan hasn't officially named a starter, although Smith will almost certainly be under center for the Week 1 opener while Sanchez recovers from a shoulder injury he suffered during the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game.

Although Ryan maintains that "wanting to win" and "competition" explain why Sanchez was on the field, Mehta reports that "The Jets were so impressed with Smith in the first couple weeks of training camp that Ryan was set to name him the Week 1 starter before the rookie suffered an ankle injury in the preseason opener."

The plan was to have Smith start the second preseason game against the Jaguars and, barring an implosion, give him the job going forward. But Smith's ankle injury sidelined him against Jacksonville, and Sanchez got the nod. Still, Mehta writes, "Despite Sanchez's sharp practices, the brain trust simply doesn't fully trust the fifth-year veteran and have grown tired of his repeated red-zone mistakes."

And while Smith isn't without his warts -- he was uneven in the Week 3 preseason game against the Giants, which included three interceptions and an unprompted safety -- the thinking is that Mornhinweg will be able to get the most out of Smith, whose potential remains largely untapped. Whereas Sanchez looks to be the very same guy who has committed 52 turnovers the last two seasons.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This team is one hot-mess.

They probably battle Oakland for the 1st overall selection in 2014.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That org is a train wreck.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Remind me again how we lost to that team last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
max said:
Remind me again how we lost to that team last year.

I hear ya...

It's called "laying an egg", I guess. It happens. Unfortunately it happened to us!

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
original.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LOL, Guy Mansworth...

Oh the butt fumble...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not long ago our Rams were like this. A totally and completely messed up team with a boob as a HC, QB issues, FO that was terrible and ownership that was a freakin cartoon.

I feel for Jets fans but like Selasie and I agreed its good fans to go through this kind of shit, it builds appreciation for the good times.

Sanchez has always been a journeyman type to me and why they decided to give him that huge contract extension is a mystery. I think it's more peculiar that Rex and his Tebow tattoo.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Butt fumble! I just love saying that and it's the perfect play for that ridiculous organization.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
Butt fumble! I just love saying that and it's the perfect play for that ridiculous organization.
Wait, I thought a butt couldn't cause a fumble.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
brokeu91 said:
Wait, I thought a butt couldn't cause a fumble.

:lmao: