Report: Rg3 Bragged That He Had Influence Over Franchise's Direction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -direction

The Redskins are again looking for a head coach and this one will inherit Robert Griffin III, the team's franchise quarterback who was benched for the final three games of the 2013 season as a precautionary measure. For whom, remains unclear, but the man who came up with the idea, Mike Shanahan, has been relieved of his duties.

That leaves Griffin and (reportedly) one of his biggest supporters: team owner Dan Snyder. On Monday, the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins added the latest bit of intrigue to a story about a entitled young quarterback who went from unassuming overachiever as a rookie to spoiled brat in his second season.

"But according to insiders, Griffin's public campaign to have the offense altered for him was just the tip of his egotism in his second year," Jenkins wrote. "Behind closed doors, Griffin had fierce finger-pointing tensions with his wide receivers, and he bragged to teammates that he could procure favors from the owner and influence the franchise's direction."

Jenkins' point: Whomever is the Redskins next head coach, he will have to deal with all this. Of course, we went through this last month when one Redskins source refuted another regarding Griffin's diva status.

But the fact that we're still talking about it suggests that it's something more than idle chatter. Also, remember when wide receiver Pierre Garcon said in October, "If you suck at passing, you suck at passing"? It wasn't a direct shot at RG3, but an overall assessment of the passing game, which ... starts with RG3.

Then, following a game against the Eagles a month later that ended on an ill-advised RG3 arm-punt interception into the end zone, the quarterback blamed the loss in part on unoriginal play-calling and wide receivers who couldn't get open.

Santana Moss' response: "Whether you're the receiver, the quarterback, the guys making the tackle, whoever, regardless of the outcome, good or bad, you have to at some point, stand up and say ‘me' or ‘I.”

Jenkins concedes that "not every story about [Griffin's] ego is true, and he is so young that he genuinely may not understand how he was perceived, especially in the flash of stardom."

And that's the thing: RG3 is 23 years old.

Should he have input in the Redskins' next coach? Absolutely. But ultimately, Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen need to hire someone who makes RG3 better as a quarterback and, perhaps more importantly, as a teammate.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Can we just make a deal were we get there 1st round picks every year while RGKnee is leading the team :heh:, that might work out for us because I cant see a team operating right with a QB that acts like that.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Wow, and people actually wanted to waste a second overall pick on this jerk in Bradford's stead?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Can we just make a deal were we get there 1st round picks every year while RGKnee is leading the team :heh:, that might work out for us because I cant see a team operating right with a QB that acts like that.
If they wanted to give us their second this year and the first and second next year for their own 2nd overall back, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If they wanted to give us their second this year and the first and second next year for their own 2nd overall back, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

lol just keep gaining picks off there original pick, I just really cant see it working out for them if he said those things... that's a horrible trait in a QB imo.

Ram_of_Old

Redskins fan are sick of Snyder and are beginning to realize that RG2.5 is an egotistical kid. Snyder wined and dined him last year, leaving other teammates out in the cold. Shanahan was ready to leave because of that.

Griffin has alienated most of his team mates. I kind of feel sorry for Redskins fans.....NOT!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What a douchebag. I don't know if I wouldn't accidently get the wrong protection call through my thick offensive linemans skull once or twice if I was playing in front of this guy.

Ram_of_Old

Watch and see how many teammates reach down and give him a hand after he is put on his a*s. That will give you a clue on his popularity in the locker room.

A55VA6

Legend
RG3 is a straight up overrated, injury prone douchebag. Out of all the NFL players in the league right now, he'd be one of the last guys I'd put on my team.

Name
JP
What an idiot!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -direction

The Redskins are again looking for a head coach and this one will inherit Robert Griffin III, the team's franchise quarterback who was benched for the final three games of the 2013 season as a precautionary measure. For whom, remains unclear, but the man who came up with the idea, Mike Shanahan, has been relieved of his duties.

That leaves Griffin and (reportedly) one of his biggest supporters: team owner Dan Snyder. On Monday, the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins added the latest bit of intrigue to a story about a entitled young quarterback who went from unassuming overachiever as a rookie to spoiled brat in his second season.

"But according to insiders, Griffin's public campaign to have the offense altered for him was just the tip of his egotism in his second year," Jenkins wrote. "Behind closed doors, Griffin had fierce finger-pointing tensions with his wide receivers, and he bragged to teammates that he could procure favors from the owner and influence the franchise's direction."

Jenkins' point: Whomever is the Redskins next head coach, he will have to deal with all this. Of course, we went through this last month when one Redskins source refuted another regarding Griffin's diva status.

But the fact that we're still talking about it suggests that it's something more than idle chatter. Also, remember when wide receiver Pierre Garcon said in October, "If you suck at passing, you suck at passing"? It wasn't a direct shot at RG3, but an overall assessment of the passing game, which ... starts with RG3.

Then, following a game against the Eagles a month later that ended on an ill-advised RG3 arm-punt interception into the end zone, the quarterback blamed the loss in part on unoriginal play-calling and wide receivers who couldn't get open.

Santana Moss' response: "Whether you're the receiver, the quarterback, the guys making the tackle, whoever, regardless of the outcome, good or bad, you have to at some point, stand up and say ‘me' or ‘I.”

Jenkins concedes that "not every story about [Griffin's] ego is true, and he is so young that he genuinely may not understand how he was perceived, especially in the flash of stardom."

And that's the thing: RG3 is 23 years old.

Should he have input in the Redskins' next coach? Absolutely. But ultimately, Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen need to hire someone who makes RG3 better as a quarterback and, perhaps more importantly, as a teammate.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know what to think of this.

I mean, I don't care for RGme. He is a certified attention whore as mr STL points out.

Another part of me thinks he could bounce back and play well. Winning cures a lot of hard feelings.

Then again, if he's as douchy as these bits indicate he's destined to fail in a team sport.

Glad he's not our problem.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't know what to think of this.

I mean, I don't care for RGme. He is a certified attention whore as mr STL points out.

Another part of me thinks he could bounce back and play well. Winning cures a lot of hard feelings.

Then again, if he's as douchy as these bits indicate he's destined to fail in a team sport.

Glad he's not our problem.

He never looked as fluent this last season like he did his rookie year. He looked kinda... hendered in his motions, almost stiff. He use to move so free and easy and last year he looked a little robotic. I think he will bounce back but really wonder if he'll ever be the same player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta feel like Snyder is at least partially to blame. Kid didn't seem like a bad guy coming out of Baylor. Maybe he was...who knows.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He never looked as fluent this last season like he did his rookie year. He looked kinda... hendered in his motions, almost stiff. He use to move so free and easy and last year he looked a little robotic. I think he will bounce back but really wonder if he'll ever be the same player.

I guess his lack of mobility this year didn't surprise me as much as his poor accuracy and decision making.

I can see the accuracy part, I guess, effected by the knee. But I don't know? Dude looked all whack.