Report: Rams offered Jackson for a 7th from GB in 2012

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
St. Louis tried trading running back Steven Jackson to the Packers last year for a seventh-round draft choice, but Thompson didn't want to assume his contract.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-rbs-expected-to-carry-the-load-b9957668z1-216313541.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... um=twitter</a>

That's interesting, if true.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A 7th rounder?! I want to call bullshit on that. Thank God they didn't trade him...what a slap in the face would that have been.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No way only a 7th? That makes no sense, especially since GB wasn't strapped for cash or anything.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It'd be interesting to discover when exactly that was supposed to have transpired, possibly during the "reported benching"?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Read that today too. I just don't believe it. Why in the hell wouldnt GB make that trade. Makes no sense.

Im more inclined to believe that GB offered a 7th for SJ and we turned it down

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

no team would trade for jackson with the contract he had. nobody was gonna pay him $7m a year. out of respect for everything he had done for the team the rams kept him around for one more year at that rate. then they let him walk and he signed for what he is worth, $4m per year.

iced

kurtfaulk said:

no team would trade for jackson with the contract he had. nobody was gonna pay him $7m a year. out of respect for everything he had done for the team the rams kept him around for one more year at that rate. then they let him walk and he signed for what he is worth, $4m per year.

Exactly. I believe it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Probably were ready to move on with Pead and DR but didn't want to bench a legend. It's not like Jackson tore it up last year. He left a lot of yards on the field.

Guy is still a competent HB but he just doesn't have the burst anymore.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While I wouldn't be shocked if this was the case, I still doubt the story at least from a simplistic view. From my understanding - reading little bits here and there, GB was very interested in SJ and SJ was interested in GB and a couple others that would use him as a featured back AND had a legit shot at going to the SB. If the Rams were really looking to trade him for a 7th, I am guessing that SJ was behind the move. Otherwise, that would have been a really poor PR move and this organization doesn't make many bad PR moves of late. I could certainly see them trying to shed that contract but not by smiting the all time Rams rushing leader. In any case, I just doubt it was simply the Rams offering SJ for a 7th. There was also probably some talk about a sign and trade but SJ probably didn't want to restructure his deal. I wouldn't blame GB for not wanting to take on that huge contract, I wouldn't blame SJ for not restructuring, and I wouldn't blame the Rams for trying to creatively get rid of that contract.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm not gonna comment about the truth of this rumor but I think the money is a red herring. I'm pretty sure that SJ would have been amenable to restructuring his contract for the chance to play for a great team like the Packers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Where there is smoke there is fire... and when it comes to Green Bay and Steven Jackson there has been smoke over the years.

I think there is more to this story than that one liner. SJ is a legend in STL or at the very least the face of the franchise for many years... I can't believe the Rams would move him on a whim - on the PR aspects alone.

Not to mention, I'm quite sure any deal (for something as small as a 7th) SJ would be given the courtesy of deciding if he wanted to be dealt to the team doing the deal.

And... while SJ's contract was fairly significant, if you're GB you do that deal. They are a SB contender and SJ could be the piece to put them over the top. It's a low risk one year deal for a pro bowl player.

Lastly, I'm not sure the Rams were all that motivated anyway. Two unproven rookies at RB? Doesn't sound like a Fisher move to me.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
Where there is smoke there is fire... and when it comes to Green Bay and Steven Jackson there has been smoke over the years.

I think there is more to this story than that one liner. SJ is a legend in STL or at the very least the face of the franchise for many years... I can't believe the Rams would move him on a whim - on the PR aspects alone.

Not to mention, I'm quite sure any deal (for something as small as a 7th) SJ would be given the courtesy of deciding if he wanted to be dealt to the team doing the deal.

And... while SJ's contract was fairly significant, if you're GB you do that deal. They are a SB contender and SJ could be the piece to put them over the top. It's a low risk one year deal for a pro bowl player.

Lastly, I'm not sure the Rams were all that motivated anyway. Two unproven rookies at RB? Doesn't sound like a Fisher move to me.

Except of course they did let him walk at the end of the season and probably won't end up getting a compensatory pick because of the "netting of FA" performance rec.vs lost.

I was too tired last night to type this, but during the "SJ benching /injury saga" there was a lot of speculation.
At that time I conjured the case of Otis Anderson ,how his wanting out was covered for the best part of a season in order to give the team any leverage in trading him.

I can't discount this situation being similar and FWIW to us now it's pretty well just off season chatter,as another poster says SJ wasn't really our bell cow last year and I think that was a product of not just the coaches wanting to extend his duration of effectiveness ,but their conviction that IF they rode that horse hard they'd lose him anyway.

If he has a great year wins a ring and GB's young backs fail to perform this lil tidbit will burn them and their FO will confirm or deny.

Either way ,I could absolutely see them having offered him /AND him having asked for a trade , three rebuilds and no playoffs ,sticking around to teach someone else to get the glory,it didn't appeal to Anderson and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover SJ was of a like mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I believe it. As it stands, this year, we got nothing after he left. If the objective was to let him walk the following year anyway (which he was going to do regardless), then you might as well get something out of it. All due respect to Jackson, but I think Richardson and Pead could have matched his productivity last year if that's what it came down to.

The fans would have lost their everloving minds if it had happened that way though.

"A 7th!?!!!??!?!?!?!!?"

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
I believe it. As it stands, this year, we got nothing after he left. If the objective was to let him walk the following year anyway (which he was going to do regardless), then you might as well get something out of it. All due respect to Jackson, but I think Richardson and Pead could have matched his productivity last year if that's what it came down to.

The fans would have lost their everloving minds if it had happened that way though.

"A 7th!?!!!??!?!?!?!!?"
Ayup, and FWIW Fisher kept a lid on it, aided SJ by helping keep his perceived value up,more reason IMO to like JF.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
All due respect to Jackson, but I think Richardson and Pead could have matched his productivity last year if that's what it came down to.

I think they could have matched the total yards... I do not think they could have blocked as well or shown the same degree of badassness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2A7cd5Wy8[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
All due respect to Jackson, but I think Richardson and Pead could have matched his productivity last year if that's what it came down to.

I think they could have matched the total yards... I do not think they could have blocked as well or shown the same degree of badassness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2A7cd5Wy8[/youtube]
You are correct sir. There aren't many RBs in the league that can do THAT. I'll certainly miss THAT more than you know. But, at the same time, I'm looking forward to a RB who can do more of THIS.

[nfl]0ap1000000063158[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap1000000063158/RB-Richardson-53-yd-run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0 ... -53-yd-run</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ooooh... yeah. I had to rewatch that Richardson run a couple of times. I'm looking forward to more explosion from the RB position.

THAT was sick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sucks with all those huge runs, he didn't even get one TD last year. Can't wait to see him get his first this year, because it's gonna be something special. He's been holstering whatever TD celebration he's got planned for over a year, and it's gonna POP when he can finally do it. :lol:

Slappy967

Starter
I could watch that DRich run all day long! Explosive guy with the ball in his hands and I like the fact that he is still being mentored by The Predator even though Jack is in the ATL now. The guy just works hard on and off the field and I would love to see him hit at least 900 yards rushing this year :)

As for the SJax to GB rumor I definitely see that as a legit possibility last year and I know I had read that on a few sites like PFT during the season. Granted they left off the 7th round pick part, but the rumor was out there til King Fish and co. squashed it.