Report: Rams Nearing Final Deal To Spend Part of Training Camp With Cowboys In CA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It accomplishes two things: It promotes the Rams for their likely future home and poisons the well in St. Louis to make easier to present the case that the fans don't support the team anymore so they can move to LA.

It's working beautifully.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Location aside, maybe this is a sign that the Rams will be better prepared entering the season this year. I have grown quite tired of the usual four game adjustment period at the start of every season, where the Rams don't seem to be playing at the same speed as the rest of the NFL each year.

Maybe Jerruhs boys will toughen them up.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Awsome, Can't think of a much better place to hold a practice for a couple days than a beach city in the summer. 70 and an ocean breeze, I will take my boy snap some pics and report back to the forum. Sure hope it happens.

If it does happen lets pick a date and plan a ROD meet up. That would be fun

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams may spend part of training camp in California
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_76693aeb-913a-55b1-b18b-aa28c7c79780.html

The Rams, who may be moving permanently to Los Angeles in 2016, may be spending several days of training camp this August in southern California.

According to a Dallas Morning News blog, the Cowboys are close to finalizing a deal to have the Rams visit them for several days at their summer training camp home in Oxnard, Calif., about 60 miles north of Los Angeles.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke plans to build a stadium in Inglewood, Calif., and the NFL says it's possible there could be one or two teams playing in the Los Angeles area in 2016.

According to Rams executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff, coach Jeff Fisher is hoping to scrimmage another team during the team's 2015 training camp.

Demoff confirmed that the Rams have talked to the Cowboys about holding joint practices in Oxnard, but that nothing was finalized and there is a chance that no joint practices would be held at all.

Demoff said there also has been some "very initial" discussion of potentially holding joint practices with the Indianapolis Colts.

Whether the Rams practice in California will depend in part on the finalized preseason schedule, which could come out as early as Tuesday when the regular-season schedule is announced. The Rams open their 2015 preseason at Oakland, with the game expected to be played sometime in the Aug. 14-16 range (a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday).

If the joint practices with the Cowboys take place, they would likely be held for a few days after the Oakland game.

In his first three seasons with the Rams, Fisher did not hold joint practices with another team. But he did so frequently during his long tenure with the Tennessee Titans, including twice against the Rams: in 2000 at Western Illinois University when the Rams trained there, and in 2008 at Tennessee's training facility in Nashville.

==========
Rams, Cowboys discuss training together in California
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17780/rams-cowboys-discussing-training-together

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- West coast fans of the St. Louis Rams might be getting an earlier opportunity to see their team than even they expected.

The Rams, who are currently one of three teams pegged for a potential return to Los Angeles as early as 2016, are in the midst of discussions with the Dallas Cowboys to spend some time scrimmaging against each other during the preseason. The Cowboys train in Oxnard, California, about 65 miles from Los Angeles.

While nothing has been finalized yet, those talks have centered on the Rams staying in California after their preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders for a handful of practices against the Cowboys before traveling directly to Tennessee to play the Titans on Aug. 23. Dallas opens its preseason slate in San Diego. The first group of preseason games is scheduled to take place between Aug. 13-17.

Whether those talks are finalized or not will depend largely on how the schedules of the teams lay out. The NFL will announce dates and times for all games Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET.

It’s been common practice on the Dallas side to have other teams help break the monotony of camp by coming in for scrimmages during training camp. The Cowboys have practiced against San Diego and the Raiders in recent years.

While the potential of the Rams playing near the Los Angeles area is sure to draw the ire of some St. Louis fans, the bulk of the movement on this front stems from Rams coach Jeff Fisher’s desire to get his team some work against a different team this preseason.

The Rams have also had discussions with the Indianapolis Colts about training together. Training with either team would represent a departure from the first three years under Fisher when the Rams have trained alone at Rams Park.

Of course, the possibility of the Rams training in the Los Angeles area would raise some eyebrows given what’s currently going on in the market. The Rams left Los Angeles for St. Louis 20 years ago and are now rumored to be on their way back.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is part of a group that plans to build a new 80,000-seat football stadium in Inglewood, California. That project will be presented to NFL executives and the six-owner Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities this week in advance of next month’s owners meetings in San Francisco.

FRO

Legend
As a St Louisan I find this move very distasteful. With all the rumors and speculation going on with moving the team the least they could do is show us respect. It's like they are going out of their way to stick it to a fan base that has only witnessed 4 winning seasons out of their 20 here.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm supposed to believe that the main driver in this is just Fisher's need to compete against a different team? Is Texas a small state, can't find a spot to play? Was SoCal the only place that had hotel rooms available? All 31 other teams not available? What an amazing coincidence that we're playing right where he wants to move with a team owned by his most vocal supporter among the owners. This is a slap in the face to every St Louis fan who's supported the Rams, there's simply no other way to describe it. Totally fucking classless move by this organization.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm supposed to believe that the main driver in this is just Fisher's need to compete against a different team? Is Texas a small state, can't find a spot to play? Was SoCal the only place that had hotel rooms available? All 31 other teams not available? What an amazing coincidence that we're playing right where he wants to move with a team owned by his most vocal supporter among the owners. This is a slap in the face to every St Louis fan who's supported the Rams, there's simply no other way to describe it. Totally freaking classless move by this organization.

I know Dallas has done training camp there quite a few times, I believe there's still a sign off the freeway about it. I agree though, they obviously know exactly what they're doing.

I'll probably go down there to check it out if I have time. Never seen a training camp before, so it could be cool to see.

FRO

Legend
It's one thing if they go to Tennessee or to Minnesota. They are going to the place they are rumored to be moving to. If that's not a kick to the groin I don't know what is.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I believe this is simply about the locations of the games and Dallas' practice facilities being fairly close, but I understantd that it's hard not to try and read more into this given the uncertainty of location. It's hard to bring 2 teams together for practices in between games I'm sure. That's what this is.

jjab360

Legend
I like this. Maybe a competitive environment going against another team in TC will help the slow starts to the season we've been having.

FRO

Legend
I believe this is simply about the locations of the games and Dallas' practice facilities being fairly close, but I understantd that it's hard not to try and read more into this given the uncertainty of location. It's hard to bring 2 teams together for practices in between games I'm sure. That's what this is.
Yes it makes sense, outside the fact the team is rumored to move there. If there were no rumors I wouldn't care. This just is either a low blow move by the Rams are they are naïve.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am not reading too much into this.

If we're playing Oakland at the same period, why not?

EDIT: but I do agree the scene it will create is not productive

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's one thing if they go to Tennessee or to Minnesota. They are going to the place they are rumored to be moving to. If that's not a kick to the groin I don't know what is.

Have to agree with @FRO and I've tried to be somewhat unbiased, but I realize the Rams are playing Oakland and that it might be the first preseason game of the year, but they never trained with the Kansas City Chiefs in the 20 years they've been in St. Louis. FRO is correct, this move is quite obvious and a shot to the Gateway City IMO.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Sure, Fisher wants it to be a circus here. Perfect timing. The reporters will ask everyone questions regarding a move to LA. Theres going to be a packs of LA Rams fans, holding signs and screaming bring back the Rams. Jerry Jones goes to Oxnard every year with the team. He supports Stan moving to LA vocally like no other owner. If someone asks Jerry a question regarding the Rams and LA, what do you think he would say? I guess Fisher likes distractions. Out of the 20 years they picked this year? Stan has tricks up his sleeves, as you guys are well aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.