Report: Rams expected to franchise tag Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And, I like the fact that he is now, as a Ram, unselfish and a "we not me" guy now. He wasn't in Buffalo, me me me me me! I'm all for it. A true #1
If he’s truly a “we not me” guy, then the Rams shouldn’t need to franchise tag him. Either he signs the 1 year prove it deal that Alshon signed in Philly (since been extended) or the reasonable contract Woods signed with the Rams, 5 year 39 mill
I’d love him back at either of those options. Franchise tag? NFW

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
If he’s truly a “we not me” guy, then the Rams shouldn’t need to franchise tag him. Either he signs the 1 year prove it deal that Alshon signed in Philly (since been extended) or the reasonable contract Woods signed with the Rams, 5 year 39 mill
I’d love him back at either of those options. Franchise tag? NFW

I really wish he would agree to a deal similar to Woods but I seriously doubt that will happen! Would be thrilled to see the Rams be able to keep Watkins, Woods, Kuppp and Reynolds on the team together for the next several seasons!!!

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Don't like it one bit. Too many other priorities.

Woods and Kupp are good enough.

Watkins seems injury prone and when healthy is meh. Doesn't seem to be a good route runner.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Bad idea.

Even in Buffalo he was not among the truly elite WRs. Why we would pay him like one now after middling numbers is perplexing. He's not even close to being in the same class as Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, etc.

The WR corps is solid yet unspectacular without him. It's not like we have 0 weapons, as was the case in past in years. The team is no longer so anemic offensively that you could make the argument over payment for a WR would make sense just so we can actually have an air attack.

For whatever reason, he seems to lack chemistry with Goff. I'm not sure why. He does get open at a good rate. Maybe he develops chemistry with Goff after a full year as a Ram, getting OTAs, etc. But maybe they are just two guys that don't mesh. Who knows.

Far more pressing needs where we should spend our money. Run defence in particular. CB as well if we lose Tru.

I do hope we can keep Watkins. Don't get me wrong. But not for franchise tag money. He's also very young which is a point in his favor that often goes forgotten. It seems like he has been around forever but he is only 24 and should still improve at least a bit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IIRC Watkins was here for a grand total of one week in the Rams off season/mini camp/OTA/training camp program.
It would be a shame to let him go without truly implementing him into this offense.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
IIRC Watkins was here for a grand total of one week in the Rams off season/mini camp/OTA/training camp program.
It would be a shame to let him go without truly implementing him into this offense.

Totally agree! I realize that it is a money issue but I really think the Rams will miss Watkins next season if they don't re-sign him!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Strange considering there's nothing coming up via google anywhere. Nothing posted on the Rams site. Nothing posted on any of theirs or Sneads social media. Nothing posted but half quotes which we don't know the context too. You claim to have read it but it's nowhere on the internet or Rams site. Only thing I can find is some idiot at fox sports saying they should fire Snead for TruJo not being signed to a long term deal which is asinine just like Aldens claims.

I am pretty sure it was on one of the Bleacher Teport team stream links. It may have been one of the tweets. I know I read it somewhere. It wasn’t from Snead directly. Someone probably acting as if he knows something. I don’t get why you care.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
They almost have to franchise him to get the proper value out of that second round pick they gave up for him.

They got use out of him this year and would get a compensatory pick if he leaves. I just don’t see him worth 16 million even for 1 year.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Lets get this straight... Watkins has been in the league 4yrs. Has 1 1k yard season. Gets traded after his 3rd year. Starts ALL 16 games and comes up with 39 catches for almost 600 yds. And someone thinks he deserves a franchise tag?? If we tag him or sign him to something ridiculous wd will set the franchise back 2yrs.

He came in an was suppose to our number 1? Well woods sure did outplay him, kupp too imo, but nobody can deny woods' play this season. Ive seen too many times Watkins didnt fight for a ball or ran a lazy route probably thinking he wasnt getting the ball. Later in the season on a few plays it was like he was surprised the ball was thrown to him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Totally agree! I realize that it is a money issue but I really think the Rams will miss Watkins next season if they don't re-sign him!
To my fellow good FL Ram fan, I would ask Sir ...Will they miss all those mega millions of cap funds paid out to Sammy when they wish to sign a much better worthy Defensive player to our weaker Defense?

Will the Rams miss on trying to resign our many now Ram defensive starters with the moths & dust particles from our Rams cap bank to sign ....Aaron Donald, Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner & NR-C to name a few?

Do not those same concerns equal or top your good pro comments? Do we consider these too & other related matters that a big new mega $$$ deal to Sammy will effect have merit? To your fine credit you did mention the $$$ issue quickly but then went onto the real problem that the Rams might just Miss Sammy. How do we know we will miss Sammy?

Do we even consider that our signed current receiving units have some outstanding young players & some good young still under development that the Rams Org has invested in too...could these Rams pass catchers be ready to erase the missing & contribute more that a Sammy on the passing end we do have a large group here in ...Woods, Gurley, Kupp, Cooper, Reynolds, Thomas, Higbee, Everett, Hemingway & Brown ?

We all have our own priorities for what we think the Rams need to do here & yes even I ponder it too ....Is there a big need here for this 39 reception ball catcher still dealing with a badly damaged foot? This Ram fan just happen to fall into the Minority solution in this good discussion. My position if you desire to spend Cap Funds on the offense...is the Rams can deal with the miss of Sammy just fine, instead secure the O- line !

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's a new pro Sammy article that has some new stuff for us to ponder ;):thinking:

Why franchise tagging Sammy Watkins is the Rams' best option

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...my-watkins-contract-free-agent-franchise-tag/

The Los Angeles Rams are in a difficult position with Sammy Watkins. They gave up a second-round pick and cornerback E.J. Gaines to acquire him in August, believing they were adding a true No. 1 receiver.

There’s no denying his talent, but after a 39-catch, 593-yard season with the Rams, he hardly looked like a go-to threat in L.A.’s offense. The worst part is that he’s now a free agent and can sign with whomever he chooses.That is, unless the Rams don’t allow him to.

After surrendering two valuable trade chips, the Rams can’t exactly afford to let him walk after just one season. Doing so would be admitting they made a mistake and don’t see potential for him to grow in Los Angeles.

Jared Goff, Sean McVay and Watkins himself have all displayed unwavering confidence that this connection will work, which is why it seems likely he’ll be back with the Rams in 2018. The question now remains: how?

There are a few options for general manager Les Snead and the Rams.

1. Franchise tag
  2. One-year deal
  3. Long-term extension
gettyimages-898082088.jpg

(Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

The franchise tag is clearly the best option, even if it costs the Rams upwards of $15 million. It would prevent Watkins from considering offers from other teams while retaining him for at least one more season, giving him another chance to prove he can be a 70-catch, 1,000-yard receiver in McVay’s scheme. There’s a possibility that he’d hold out and refrain from signing the tag, but nothing suggests he would do that.

The next-best option would be to offer him a one-year “prove-it” deal for 2018. Alshon Jeffery’s contract with the Eagles should be a blueprint for the Rams’ situation with Watkins. The Eagles gave him $14 million for one season, allowing both he and the team to see how the two sides meshed with each other.

Three months into the season, the Eagles had seen enough to give Jeffery an extension, signing him to a four-year deal worth $52 million.

usatsi_10428106.jpg

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams could conceivably do the same with Watkins, allowing him to prove he’s put injury questions behind him and can thrive with the Rams as a legitimate No. 1 wideout.

The final option is simply giving Watkins what he probably wants right now: a long-term deal. He hasn’t exactly earned that just yet, but there will undoubtedly be teams out there offering him three- and four-year contracts on the open market. The Rams, who have several free agents to re-sign, as well as a guy named Aaron Donald seeking an extension, may not be able to compete.

The Browns, 49ers and Bears could use a top receiver and all have the cash to bring one in. The Rams would not only risk losing Watkins in this scenario, but they’d also be taking a big chance on signing a wideout coming off a 593-yard season to a long-term deal. Again, Watkins has the talent and skill set to be a top-10 receiver in the NFL, but after this past season, he’s far from that at this point in time. That’s why the Rams have to franchise tag him and delay this process for another year.

nighttrain

Legend
Lets get this straight... Watkins has been in the league 4yrs. Has 1 1k yard season. Gets traded after his 3rd year. Starts ALL 16 games and comes up with 39 catches for almost 600 yds. And someone thinks he deserves a franchise tag?? If we tag him or sign him to something ridiculous wd will set the franchise back 2yrs.

He came in an was suppose to our number 1? Well woods sure did outplay him, kupp too imo, but nobody can deny woods' play this season. Ive seen too many times Watkins didnt fight for a ball or ran a lazy route probably thinking he wasnt getting the ball. Later in the season on a few plays it was like he was surprised the ball was thrown to him.
Without SW drawing the top CB from opposition other receivers would suffer a lot. Dude was open a bunch and constantly making blocks downfield, keep him, sign to a 4-5 year deal
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Without SW drawing the top CB from opposition other receivers would suffer a lot. Dude was open a bunch and constantly making blocks downfield, keep him, sign to a 4-5 year deal
train

I’m with you, train.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
train

Not saying to get rid of him or not sign, but to break the bank for a wr that has little production in 4yrs would be a tragedy. After 4 yrs in the league you dont sign a guy for potential, atleast GOOD teams dont. He deserves a Woods type deal.

Also the excuse of him missing camp is absurd. The 9ers qb missed thier camp AND came to the team in w4 or 5 and was starting and productive for the last 5 weeks of the season. Remember Mark Clayton? A few yrs ago either we traded for him or signed him and in after a week he started and i believe had 100yd game, i believe he had a few of those or close to it before he got hurt and was done for the season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How much would SW really get on the open market? Is anyone going to pay him $10M? Doubt it.

Dude. Nobody thought Kenny Britt would be paid anything substantial but then here comes Cleveland with 4 year $32.5M dolla with $17M guaranteed.

The WR market is insane. If Sammy hits it, meh. I prefer they lock him up to a 3 or 4 year frontloaded deal they can get out from under in a year or so if things don't work out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dude. Nobody thought Kenny Britt would be paid anything substantial but then here comes Cleveland with 4 year $32.5M dolla with $17M guaranteed.

The WR market is insane. If Sammy hits it, meh. I prefer they lock him up to a 3 or 4 year frontloaded deal they can get out from under in a year or so if things don't work out.
4 years for 32.5 is only just over 8m a year, I'd OK a deal like that for Watkins!