Report: Mike Singletary interviews for Rams' DC post

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
UnknownREknown said:
Wonder if Spags is going to get any consideration...
yeahokay_zps890dd9f3.gif

lasvegasrams

Rookie
i actually was on board with this a while ago on another thread. their ralationship in chicago during the 80's made me wonder why this hadnt happened sooner

…..

Legend
I like Singetary's old school approach, think it serves well on the defensive side of the ball. I heard someone say he wasnt "visionary" but I dont think we need alot of new vision to assist my personal "see ball, go get ball" philosophy. I think the players would respond well to his style.

In the big picture, with all the leadership and experience we have in the cadre on that side of the ball....I dont see how we could go wrong.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Dog said:
I like Singetary's old school approach, think it serves well on the defensive side of the ball. I heard someone say he wasnt "visionary" but I dont think we need alot of new vision to assist my personal "see ball, go get ball" philosophy. I think the players would respond well to his style.

In the big picture, with all the leadership and experience we have in the cadre on that side of the ball....I dont see how we could go wrong.
Agreed 100%

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mojorizen7 said:
The Dog said:

Agreed 100%
Well, let's explore all possibilities then.

Is he an astute X's and O's guy? Is he adept at situational playcalling? Is he good at adjusting on the fly and/or at halftime? We all know he can motivate players, and he doesn't take any shit from divas, so that's great. But, how much do we really know about his strength as a playcaller and/or schemer?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Doesn't he run a 3-4? Has he ever coached a 4-3?
As a DC? Yes and No. The 49ers used a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense when he joined that team in 2007 (under Nolan), and he's coached 4-3 defenses as a LB coach (Ravens, Vikings). More importantly though, he's intimately familiar with the 4-6 and 4-3 (as a player) that Ditka and Landry employed. Ultimately, a good coach isn't limited by scheme though. This isn't something (IMO) that should be an issue for him.

…..

Legend
X said:
mojorizen7 said:
The Dog said:

Agreed 100%

Is he an astute X's and O's guy? Is he adept at situational playcalling? Is he good at adjusting on the fly and/or at halftime? We all know he can motivate players, and he doesn't take any shyte from divas, so that's great. But, how much do we really know about his strength as a playcaller and/or schemer?

I dont know anything tbh, about his strengths as a playcaller. The other things you mention are what I want out of him...the scheme will be set up on Wednesdays, so thats not an issue. Playcalling? I dont think for a second that that all this experience wont lead to a commite style approach. We can give a headset to the water boy for all I care....let him call the plays. He's still gonna be connected to McGinnis and Cecil et al....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Is he an astute X's and O's guy? Is he adept at situational playcalling? Is he good at adjusting on the fly and/or at halftime? We all know he can motivate players, and he doesn't take any shyte from divas, so that's great. But, how much do we really know about his strength as a playcaller and/or schemer?

This would be my concern/unknown with Singletary.

Coordinators are very cerebral positions, almost like chess players. Thinking ahead of the other guy. Strategic duel.

Which is why I might prefer a guy like Jauron. I'll take the quick thinker over the fire and brimstone on game day.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
CGI_Ram said:
This would be my concern/unknown with Singletary.

Coordinators are very cerebral positions, almost like chess players. Thinking ahead of the other guy. Strategic duel.

Which is why I might prefer a guy like Jauron. I'll take the quick thinker over the fire and brimstone on game day.

Very astute observation, but he has to haved learn something as linebacker coach with the Vikings and it could very well be that Fisher & McGinnis wants to teach Singletary their system. It would not be difficult to have him execute the gameplan you want as the Head Coach..Especially with you having the ability to call something else if the situation requires it.

The Rams have A Tale of Two Cities in the coordinators they've interviewed. The cerebral ivy league grad Jauron known for his x's & o's, but most times overseeing a defense that plays straight up and waits for the oppostion to make a mistake, but does not force the issue.

Enter Mike Singletary not known for x's & o's and has never been a coordinator, but once shown the ropes would most likely model a defense that likes to blitz and force the opposition into mistakes, however, the defense itself might be out of position because of the over aggressive nature.

I trust Jeff Fisher to pick the right guy and this reminds me somewhat of the Offensive Coordinator selection of Hue Jackson & Brain Schottenheimer. More to the fact that Schottenheimer is more conservatinve than Jackson and it worked out just fine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X said:
mojorizen7 said:
The Dog said:

Agreed 100%

[hil]Is he an astute X's and O's guy?[/hil] Is he adept at situational playcalling? Is he good at adjusting on the fly and/or at halftime? We all know he can motivate players, and he doesn't take any shit from divas, so that's great. But, how much do we really know about his strength as a playcaller and/or schemer?
3 hours ago • By Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-interview-mike-singletary/article_ecb695c9-1a0e-57bb-8b4a-cab8a3bb64a9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... b64a9.html</a>

Mike Singletary, a former teammate of Jeff Fisher in Chicago, is the latest known candidate to interview for the still vacant Rams’ defensive coordinator position. According to league sources, Singletary actually interviewed with Fisher on Thursday.

Former Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron interviewed with the Rams at the end of Super Bowl week, or a few days after former Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan dropped out of consideration for the Rams’ job.

Ryan was hired by New Orleans as the Saints’ defensive coordinator on Saturday, meaning the Rams’ now have the only unfilled defensive coordinator position in the NFL.

At first blush, the Rams’ interest in Singletary is curious because he has never been a coordinator and [hil]he’s not really known as an Xs and Os guy.[/hil] Singletary, 54, has been special assistant to the head coach/linebackers coach in Minnesota for the past two seasons.

Prior to working with the Vikings, Singletary was head coach in San Francisco for parts of three seasons. He went 5-4 in 2008, taking over for Mike Nolan on an interim basis in late October. Retained by the 49ers after the ’08 season, the 49ers went 8-8 in 2009.

But Singletary was fired with one game left (the team was 5-10 at the time) in the 2010 campaign following a 25-17 loss in St. Louis the day after Christmas.

watchingu_zpsf989af4a.gif