Report: Former Saints defensive end Will Smith shot and killed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Just all tragic. My prayers are with the family and friends of Smith, mourning his loss and for his wife, that her wounds are completely healed.

Roger Goodell put out the usual refrain, with one notable exclusion "The NFL sends out our thoughts to the family."

Huh? Your thoughts, though nice and all, are useless. Has political correctness really taken hold so much that we cannot mention PRAYER? After all prayer is the only thing that can reach the loving, caring God of the universe to send His love and care to the family. Our thoughts only make us feel better.

This bit of truth may not resonate with some. But it is, in fact truth. Pray for those who are hurting. God hears you and he acts on the prayer of a believer.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just all tragic. My prayers are with the family and friends of Smith, mourning his loss and for his wife, that her wounds are completely healed.

Roger Goodell put out the usual refrain, with one notable exclusion "The NFL sends out our thoughts to the family."

Huh? Your thoughts, though nice and all, are useless. Has political correctness really taken hold so much that we cannot mention PRAYER? After all prayer is the only thing that can reach the loving, caring God of the universe to send His love and care to the family. Our thoughts only make us feel better.

This bit of truth may not resonate with some. But it is, in fact truth. Pray for those who are hurting. God hears you and he acts on the prayer of a believer.
Lets not go this route my friend. This is the same as bringing politics into a thread. No disrespect, just letting you know.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Circumstances of Will Smith murder suggest possible motive other than road rage

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...murder-suggest-scenario-other-than-road-rage/

Regardless of why Cardell Hayes shot and killed former Saints defensive end Will Smith, the fact remains that Hayes apparently did it. The motive may be a little murkier than first believed.

Dubbed an incident of road rage at first, the New Orleans Advocate points out that Hayes sued the City of New Orleans in 2005 after police officers killed his father. Shortly before the automobile accident that resulted in Hayes shooting Smith and his wife, Smith and former Saints teammate Pierre Thomashad eaten dinner with Billy Ceravolo, one of the officers who shot Anthony Hayes and who was personally sued by Cardell Hayes.

Per the Advocate, Ceravolo described Smith and Thomas as personal friends. However, Ceravolo was not at the scene of the shooting. Ceravolo also claimed he wasn’t aware that Cardell Hayes had named Ceravolo in the lawsuit, which was settled in 2011 for what Hayes’ lawyer called a “large” amount of money.

If Cardell Hayes were merely seeking retribution, common sense suggests he would have simply shot Ceravolo. Then again, the mind of a person capable of killing another person isn’t always awash in rational thought. For now, the point is that either the incident of road rage carried with it a strange and bizarre coincidence, or that there really was no coincidence.

That's one hell of a coincidence

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Lets not go this route my friend. This is the same as bringing politics into a thread. No disrespect, just letting you know.

Sure @Tron but this is kind of what I am talking about. I'm a little older than you, I know. It used to be a societal norm to be able to invoke prayer. It's actually kind, legal and Constitutional!

The new norm is what some call "progressive". I have the right to say it is "regressive". Without apology. Goodell's words just sound empty and foolish.

We can throw half naked girls out in our posts and disrespect our wives. But Sshhh! Don't invoke God, or....gasp...Jesus. Yeah. Don't go that route.

I don't judge any guys on this site, or expect them to change their behavior for me.

Love ya Tron. This is a Rams forum. I'm mindful of that. Just had to post that earlier. I thought it was germaine to the topic. Peace

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Sure @Tron but this is kind of what I am talking about. I'm a little older than you, I know. It used to be a societal norm to be able to invoke prayer. It's actually kind, legal and Constitutional!

The new norm is what some call "progressive". I have the right to say it is "regressive". Without apology. Goodell's words just sound empty and foolish.

We can throw half naked girls out in our posts and disrespect our wives. But Sshhh! Don't invoke God, or....gasp...Jesus. Yeah. Don't go that route.

I don't judge any guys on this site, or expect them to change their behavior for me.

Love ya Tron. This is a Rams forum. I'm mindful of that. Just had to post that earlier. I thought it was germaine to the topic. Peace
Goodells words are always empty regardless of context.

I understand where you are are coming from and your view on that topic, but this isn't the place to bring it up regardless. That's it. That's not because the topic is taboo, it's because the ensuing arguments will destroy this thread and get it locked.

Let's end this and continue on.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Goodells words are always empty regardless of context.

I understand where you are are coming from and your view on that topic, but this isn't the place to bring it up regardless. That's it. That's not because the topic is taboo, it's because the ensuing arguments will destroy this thread and get it locked.

Let's end this and continue on.
Sounds good brotha'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I feel terrible for the wife and kids. So senseless.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hayes, 28, was being held on $1 million bond after police arrested him on a charge of second-degree murder. He was in court again Monday as arrangements were made for a new lawyer to eventually replace Fuller, who will soon begin work as a temporary judge. Prosecutors now have 60 days to decide how to proceed.

Fuller insisted outside court Monday that Hayes will be vindicated once the full story emerges. Someone ''besides my client'' was behaving in a threatening manner, he said. ''My client has been pilloried, convicted and tried,'' he added, complaining about media coverage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warrant-ex-saints-player-smith-shot-back-torso-123145366--nfl.html

i know, what else is his lawyer gonna say.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/28/cardell-hayes-indicted-for-will-smiths-murder/

Cardell Hayes indicted for second-degree murder of Will Smith
Posted by Josh Alper on April 28, 2016

150562609-e1460551272994.jpg
Getty Images

The man who shot former Saints defensive end Will Smith has been indicted on murder and attempted murder charges by a grand jury in New Orleans.

Cardell Hayes was indicted on Thursday while a probable cause hearing was going on in a separate courtroom. That hearing was being held to determine if there was reason to charge Hayes, so the news of the indictment obviously interrupted those proceedings.

Hayes was indicted on second-degree murder for shooting Smith and on second-degree attempted murder for shooting Smith’s widow Racquel, who was hospitalized and attended Smith’s funeral in a wheelchair as a result of her injuries.

Hayes has been jailed since the April 9 shooting, which took place after Hayes’ car allegedly rear-ended Smith’s car. An argument ensued, followed by gunshots that the Orleans Parish coroner said left Smith shot once in the chest and seven times in the back. Hayes’ lawyers don’t dispute Hayes fired those shots, but have argued that their client is “legally not guilty” of murder.