Report: Dolphins owner says L.A. will get NFL team ‘certainly within five years’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm just making an observation. I'm not invoking any rules or rule changes. If people think THIS one is going to end up being productive because now some other high ranking person made a comment that may or may not come to fruition, then fine. Good luck with that.
Your voice carries quite a bit of weight around here though and you condemning the conversation will likely have an impact. As far as the thread being "productive", I'm not sure what anyone looks to produce other than passing along information and maybe some conversation. In that regard, I think it was productive...to a point.

As far as the topic, whether the Rams are mentioned or not the tenancy of a team in L.A. will impact them. I would think that those worried they might leave St. Louis would be rooting for some other team to take up residence in the smog capitol as soon as possible. Kroenke would lose leverage and St. Louis would lose doubt.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As the OP of this thread, I'll state that my intention here was to throw some new info out there regarding a subject that has come up before from both sides, and give us a little more to talk about until the season starts.

No offense to anyone was intended, and I still don't intend to insult or offend anyone.

And I was just thinking of the point that another team going to L.A. would lower the possibility of the Rams going there. 2 teams other than the Rams doing so would outright kill it (whether or not one personally believes it's dead right now anyway.)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
giphy.gif

...and i live in Arizona.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I could have sworn this forum was called "Rams - NFL talk" and that the intention was that NFL news would be posted here. I'd think that LA getting an NFL team would qualify as NFL talk, no?

Whenever these threads come up, many times gets into the topic of the Rams moving, but lately, especially the last two threads, this hasn't been the case until someone has come in guns firing about how LA will never get a team, blah blah blah, bitch bitch bitch, whine.

It doesn't take a critical thinking genius to see the NFL wants to expand and add more teams. They're talking about extending the season to 18 games, they're talking about having more teams make the playoffs, etc etc. The NFL knows it can support more teams in the league, they just need to figure out the best way to do it so it's all nice and even. Even if they do want to move a team there instead of expansion, I'll give everyone a nice thought experience. Think of a former LA team that currently is in a western conference, is having stadium issues, some fan support issues, has dark blue on their jersey, and has been rumored to move to LA for a long time. Did you think of the Chargers? Good, because they're also a very prime candidate. In fact their owner has already said that if a team moved to LA it would hurt his team financially, and refuses to deny that he's thinking about moving the team up to LA (he wants super bowls and wants a new stadium that San Diego doesn't want to pay for).

So there's more than just the Rams in play here, so when everyone jumps up at every NFL LA news outlet in an attempt to shit all over everything because they don't want the Rams to move, it's completely unneeded, there are so many different factors in play. I'm starting to think half of this resentment is just anger about LA in general, is it because the Rams have history there or what? It's getting silly at this point.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
These L.A. threads are tired and they never, ever, ever, ever, ever go anywhere.
It's like emotional baggage that inevitably comes with all Rams boards. I figured that after 20 years it would've stopped or at least died down by now.

I wish LA would get a team for two reasons...because LA should have a team of it's own(just not the Rams) and so this "news" would just go away on Rams boards.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sure, there are reasons that this process has taken so long. But that doesn't make his educated guess wrong. He could end up wrong, but so what?

You've still given no reason whatsoever why this opinion is so deserving of such bile from your viewpoint, unless the simple concept of L.A. having *A* team (not necessarily the Rams) offends or frightens you in and of itself.

It honestly comes across as if someone said "Robert Quinn likes pastrami sandwiches. What's a tool! What a crap finger! I wish I could throw poo at him!" Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Neither does this.

As I said, it would make sense to be mad if he predicted the Rams would move or insulted St. Louis. He didn't. So I guess I'm trying to engage you in some discussion to try to get some sense out of this.

And I prefer my face remain in its natural uneaten state, thanks. ;)

There is more to be said. I say this guy is full of it, you're hoping he's right, and that's really all she wrote.

And honestly, I don't ever want LA to have another team, period. Thats just me. We disagree on that, too.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Ah, the owners trying to reestablish their greatest tool, used to beat cities over the head for upgrades/replacements to their stadiums. The threat of the "move to L.A." has been used to death. I hope L.A. gets a team just not the Rams. When the Gridbirds left St Louis, it broke my heart.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If it's not an expansion team, it's likely to be the Jaguars, IMO! They seem to be the most deserving of relocation! This is the homer in me talking!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It doesn't take a critical thinking genius to see the NFL wants to expand and add more teams. They're talking about extending the season to 18 games, they're talking about having more teams make the playoffs, etc etc. The NFL knows it can support more teams in the league, they just need to figure out the best way to do it so it's all nice and even.

Other than LA there isn't another metro area that doesn't have risks and even LA does because of the divergent ethnicities of the population and the roots. That sounds strange but it is the truth and cannot be ignored, most people in the LA area are not natives and are likely fans of other teams.

OKC and SA are right on the cusp of being large enough as far as population but are the people there fans of other teams already? Portland possibly. But maybe they aren't quite big enough.

After that finding a market to plunk down a team is going to be hard. And even those markets are a big risk. Jacksonville was a lesson learned by the NFL and if they wanted more teams they would already have them in 3 or 4 other markets. This is why they want to extend the season and the playoffs, in part because they can't really add more teams without a huge financial risk. It won't look good if a team in say San Antonio goes bankrupt.

And IMO Los Angeles is a BIG risk for the NFL and they know it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I thought it was telling that Blank was thorough in each of his responses but decided to totally ignore the query about pricing fans out.

If the NFL isn't worried about that they are fools. It's already easy to skip the game since for half what it costs to go to ONE with your family you can see an entire season at home. These guys need to give some thought to how far past the ceiling they have gone.

How many of you guys could take yourself and say the two kids to 8 games? No need to actually answer that but it has to be something the NFL addresses in the near future. If they are falling 7500 tickets short of a sellout they would be wise to make that many tickets 10 bucks each. With an average cost of $375 per game they are making it tough to get sellouts unless it's a large market or a top flight winning team.

Imagine what it costs to go to 8 Cowboys games. If they are 5-11 people will be in front of their TV watching Sunday Ticket.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The bottum line, those talks are at a stand still for several reasons. How can I make that more clear? He's wrong! But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait 5 years before we find out for sure. He should eat crow when he's wrong, but he won't, and that ticks me off. He got away with being a crap finger without consequence. I wanna throw a cow pie at him right now. It'd make me laugh like a ten year old girl while I did it.

I gotta go to sleep. If you post I'll just eat your face tomorrow. Night, bro!

Nice.....a crap finger! Everyone needs one of those around.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I thought it was telling that Blank was thorough in each of his responses but decided to totally ignore the query about pricing fans out.

If the NFL isn't worried about that they are fools. It's already easy to skip the game since for half what it costs to go to ONE with your family you can see an entire season at home. These guys need to give some thought to how far past the ceiling they have gone.

How many of you guys could take yourself and say the two kids to 8 games? No need to actually answer that but it has to be something the NFL addresses in the near future. If they are falling 7500 tickets short of a sellout they would be wise to make that many tickets 10 bucks each. With an average cost of $375 per game they are making it tough to get sellouts unless it's a large market or a top flight winning team.

Imagine what it costs to go to 8 Cowboys games. If they are 5-11 people will be in front of their TV watching Sunday Ticket.
That is so true!

I know that are in love with television money, and it's been a huge part of their success which they continue to cultivate, but what's the point with all of the top stadium talk if the intention isn't to put people in the seats, and then what's the point in all of that if they overprice the tickets for common folks like me.

You make a huge point, the last time I took my boys to the game it was a preseason game.

Taking the St. Louis situation as an example, with the latest talk being to build an outdoor stadium so as to dedicate our current location to conventions and avoid competition for conventions, luring the city/state into contributing.

I get that and I love the idea of an outdoor stadium myself, and I understand that luxury boxes will be climate controlled, but there are more and more corporate ticket holders in the stands these days, and I have to wonder at how much allure an outdoor stadium holds for that crowd as ticket prices increase.

grease

Other than LA there isn't another metro area that doesn't have risks and even LA does because of the divergent ethnicities of the population and the roots. That sounds strange but it is the truth and cannot be ignored, most people in the LA area are not natives and are likely fans of other teams.

OKC and SA are right on the cusp of being large enough as far as population but are the people there fans of other teams already? Portland possibly. But maybe they aren't quite big enough.

After that finding a market to plunk down a team is going to be hard. And even those markets are a big risk. Jacksonville was a lesson learned by the NFL and if they wanted more teams they would already have them in 3 or 4 other markets. This is why they want to extend the season and the playoffs, in part because they can't really add more teams without a huge financial risk. It won't look good if a team in say San Antonio goes bankrupt.

And IMO Los Angeles is a BIG risk for the NFL and they know it.

Yes and the enormous franchise fee for LA to be split amongst owners guarantees an expansion team for LA. Whether that entails a trade of franchises as done with the Rams and Colts before I don't know but the franchise fee for LA will be too lucrative and easy a pay day for most owners to refuse.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
There is more to be said. I say this guy is full of it, you're hoping he's right, and that's really all she wrote.

And honestly, I don't ever want LA to have another team, period. Thats just me. We disagree on that, too.
I'm not really "hoping he's right". Even if another team came to L.A., I'd still stay a Rams fan, and I've already discussed my mixed feelings if it's the Rams that go back to L.A.

I was just hoping there was something behind this vitriol beyond just "This guy has a different opinion than I do." Unfortunately, it seems like there wasn't.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not really "hoping he's right". Even if another team came to L.A., I'd still stay a Rams fan, and I've already discussed my mixed feelings if it's the Rams that go back to L.A.

I was just hoping there was something behind this vitriol beyond just "This guy has a different opinion than I do." Unfortunately, it seems like there wasn't.

Wrong again, boffo. I'm really learnin' you up good, today.

I'm saying this guy is straight up wrong. Wrong I say! Big difference.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Wrong again, boffo. I'm really learnin' you up good, today.

I'm saying this guy is straight up wrong. Wrong I say! Big difference.
You probably would have been a lot better off just leaving it at that in the first place, without going into all of the calling him a tool and wanting to fling poo at him and what not. That last one still confuses and vaguely disturbs me.

We can all think someone else is wrong all day long. Except, if someone thinks I'm wrong about that, the universe explodes.