REPORT: Cowboys will NOT take QB @ 4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Jerry screwing Spanos AGAIN!!!

It's full in Game of Thrones this off-season!

At the very least, he's forcing Spanos to take a LOT less to trade out of #3 and then the Cowboys get Bosa.

Otherwise, if Chargers stick to their price, Jerry can reload his D in a deep D draft.

Most times advertising a pick is either a smokescreen or stupid. Gotta say, this move is downright shrewd.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
It really doesn't make sense for them to take a qb at 4 to be a backup for 3 years. Maybe in the second or third rounds but not at 4 with all the elite talent that will be there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't wait until 6 personally. 4 with Dallas is the lowest I'd go up for them. Rams could have a deal in place with Baltimore only to have the 9ers jump a couple spots. F that. I'd have a secret deal in place with Jones where he can reload his defense and I can take Goff and finally put a great passer behind center for our Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No surprise. They know how close they are. They can bring in RGIII or another QB as a backup to develop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No surprise. They know how close they are. They can bring in RGIII or another QB as a backup to develop.

I think that's the key.

They need a legit option behind Romo, or they have another lost season if Romo misses any time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't wait until 6 personally. 4 with Dallas is the lowest I'd go up for them. Rams could have a deal in place with Baltimore only to have the 9ers jump a couple spots. F that. I'd have a secret deal in place with Jones where he can reload his defense and I can take Goff and finally put a great passer behind center for our Rams.

The Rams could have a deal in place with Dallas and the Niners could jump them by dealing with San Diego. I wonder how much Spanos would interfere here. I can't imagine that he wants to help out Stan Kroenke's team. If he was really thinking of his personal situation rather than what's better for the team then he wouldn't make any sweetheart deals with San Francisco.........but you never now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love how news that is deemed "good news" is considered accurate, whereas news which isn't good we call it "smokescreen"
Haha.

why I think this makes sense, (outside of me wanting Dallas to NOT draft a QB) is by putting it out there they aren't drafting a QB makes negotiating with an RGIII or any other FA QB more successful. Why go somewhere where you are hoping the #1 goes down AND you have to compete with a #1 draft pick
Dallas can look at an RGIII type and say, go ahead and sign for more money in Cleveland but if you want to be the heir apparent here in Dallas, here's OUR offer....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
image.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No link. (found a link) I am just watching path to the draft on nfl network. And they reported that the boys wont take a QB at 4 this year. Smokescreen maybe but I like the sound of them NOT going QB. Get on the phone with balti and go get either wentz or goff (hopefully wentz). Browns take Goff!!!!

Update: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-cowboys-wont-draft-qb-with-no-4-overall-pick
I don't think the Brown's take Goff, Hue doesn't like his hand size! And I don't believe the Cowboy's can pass on a QB this year! ( No pun intended!)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
why I think this makes sense, (outside of me wanting Dallas to NOT draft a QB) is by putting it out there they aren't drafting a QB makes negotiating with an RGIII or any other FA QB more successful. Why go somewhere where you are hoping the #1 goes down AND you have to compete with a #1 draft pick
Dallas can look at an RGIII type and say, go ahead and sign for more money in Cleveland but if you want to be the heir apparent here in Dallas, here's OUR offer....

You might be right about that Dieter, think it's a valid point.

Another strange thing here is that you have picks 1 & 3 both up for sale. So it's not going to net Dallas much to say they won't take a QB from a trade down perspective simply because moving all the way up to 4 for one of those QBs might, as @Elmgrovegnome pointed out, backfire when SF moves up to 1 or 3 and takes Goff (I presume here that Cleveland goes Wentz).

So what I could see happening is Snead having a deal hammered out where the Rams move in to 4 IF one of Wentz/Goff is there. If not, then depending on how much they like Lynch's ceiling they could have a tentative deal worked out for moving ahead of Philadelphia or just sit tight at 15 and see if he makes it there.

If the Rams fall in love with Wentz or Goff and feel they need to have one of them, then I think 1 overall is most likely due to the Spanos/Kroenke hate. Whatever affordability you gain by going to 3 overall is probably squandered by Spanos being a prick, so why not just give up a little more and get to 1 overall where you control your destiny.

But who am I kidding... Rams will probably sit at 15 and take a defensive player because I never seem to be able to predict these guys.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You might be right about that Dieter, think it's a valid point.

Another strange thing here is that you have picks 1 & 3 both up for sale. So it's not going to net Dallas much to say they won't take a QB from a trade down perspective simply because moving all the way up to 4 for one of those QBs might, as @Elmgrovegnome pointed out, backfire when SF moves up to 1 or 3 and takes Goff (I presume here that Cleveland goes Wentz).

So what I could see happening is Snead having a deal hammered out where the Rams move in to 4 IF one of Wentz/Goff is there. If not, then depending on how much they like Lynch's ceiling they could have a tentative deal worked out for moving ahead of Philadelphia or just sit tight at 15 and see if he makes it there.

If the Rams fall in love with Wentz or Goff and feel they need to have one of them, then I think 1 overall is most likely due to the Spanos/Kroenke hate. Whatever affordability you gain by going to 3 overall is probably squandered by Spanos being a prick, so why not just give up a little more and get to 1 overall where you control your destiny.

But who am I kidding... Rams will probably sit at 15 and take a defensive player because I never seem to be able to predict these guys.

I am coming to expect that if they sit at 15 they wont pick a QB. Lynch is suddenly being seen as a second round project with high upside. Cook has been ripped for his combine, performance (which I thought looked good on the field). I think these guys didn't impress in interviews for whatever reason. That is the feeling I get. So, maybe we are looking at the Rams backing off of the QB race and thinking they can get one in round 2. Then they can do what they like to do best.....draft BPA in round 1.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am coming to expect that if they sit at 15 they wont pick a QB. Lynch is suddenly being seen as a second round project with high upside. Cook has been ripped for his combine, performance (which I thought looked good on the field). I think these guys didn't impress in interviews for whatever reason. That is the feeling I get. So, maybe we are looking at the Rams backing off of the QB race and thinking they can get one in round 2. Then they can do what they like to do best.....draft BPA in round 1.

Maybe so. Cook certainly looks more and more like he could get past the late round 1 teams like Denver. I would never have thought that would happen 3 months ago but for many reasons his value does seem to have taken a dive. I suspect Prescott could go before him at this point.

Lynch won't make round 2 though. He is a freak athlete/size guy, has a great arm, and even though talking heads are saying their "sources" are projecting him to round 2 I don't buy it. The Rams for example are going to see his touch on those deep passes and imagine him running play action off of Gurley, and they do not mind redshirting their high picks.

I wonder what their grade on Prescott, Doughty, Driskel and some of the others is. If they're high enough on one of them we could see a similar strategy to last year where they took the BPA in round 1 then went need round 2+ even if it meant minor value reaches. In this draft that would be DE or CB in round 1 most likely, followed by the QB they like with one of those round 2 picks to ensure they get the one they like and then a receiver or two.

So yeah, you're not alone. I'm steeling myself for all possibilities with Fish and Snead.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe so. Cook certainly looks more and more like he could get past the late round 1 teams like Denver. I would never have thought that would happen 3 months ago but for many reasons his value does seem to have taken a dive. I suspect Prescott could go before him at this point.

Lynch won't make round 2 though. He is a freak athlete/size guy, has a great arm, and even though talking heads are saying their "sources" are projecting him to round 2 I don't buy it. The Rams for example are going to see his touch on those deep passes and imagine him running play action off of Gurley, and they do not mind redshirting their high picks.

I wonder what their grade on Prescott, Doughty, Driskel and some of the others is. If they're high enough on one of them we could see a similar strategy to last year where they took the BPA in round 1 then went need round 2+ even if it meant minor value reaches. In this draft that would be DE or CB in round 1 most likely, followed by the QB they like with one of those round 2 picks to ensure they get the one they like and then a receiver or two.

So yeah, you're not alone. I'm steeling myself for all possibilities with Fish and Snead.

They could go BPA in round 1 and use both 2nds to move up in the back of round 1 to take Lynch, if people really think he is dropping. one report said he is a 2-3 year project. ideally you don't want a first rounder to take that long to develop and then be in his contract year at the start of his success. I like Lynch a lot. Great tools but one report called his interviews strange or weird or something to that tune. That is a bad sign. However he showed improvement throughout his college career. Prescott is a guy I really wanted to be good but he is just doesn't have enough of anything. Maybe they will like Allen and take him in round 2.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Lynch a lot. Great tools but one report called his interviews strange or weird or something to that tune. That is a bad sign.

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking the other day how goofy he comes across in his video interviews with that hair and his ridiculous mustache, and on one show the analyst team was giving him a hard time about a tweet that said he reminded of Freddie Mercury. He even looked kinda goofy in his workouts at the combine, with his ridiculously tall lanky build and size 20 feet flopping around in his footwork.

But put on the tape of him in a game with his helmet on and competing and he doesn't look goofy at all. He looks great for the most part, particularly throwing the ball downfield. I'm thinkin if I were his dad, or his agent, I'd have him shave his damn head and that growth on his face until the draft is over lol.

You're right though. If he's awkward in interviews that will screw a QB on draft position quickly. So if that happened and he does slide, yeah, I'd be more than ok with the Rams moving back up to get him.