REPORT: Could the Los Angeles Rams be a player for CB Chris Harris Jr. in the offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Could it be? No.... maybe?

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Oct 22, 2019, 2:19pm CDT

Tennessee Titans v Denver Broncos

Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

Even though the Los Angeles Rams just pulled off a massive trade for cornerback Jalen Ramsey, they could be a player in the free agency sweepstakes for Denver Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. this offseason, per Ben Allbright:

Now, it’s obviously extremely early and quite preliminary, but Allbright is often right as he’s plugged into the league. Harris obviously has many connections to the Rams as he’s played under Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, and formed the superstar secondary known as the “No Fly Zone” alongside current Rams cornerback Aqib Talib, who is slated to become a free agent upon completion of this season.
Looking forward, the Rams will have a laundry list of free agents on their roster and only $24.6m in cap space in 2020, per Over The Cap. If the Rams do want to retain some of their own unrestricted free agents — as well as Harris — they’ll need to juggle some contracts to help create space in the offseason.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My best friend who's as much a fan of the Broncos as I am of the Rams if not more has to be wanting to spit nails right about now...

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My best friend who's as much a fan of the Broncos as I am of the Rams if not more has to be wanting to spit nails right about now...
I don't feel bad for any other fan base. We have been through as many, if not more lean years as any of them.

oldnotdead

Legend
Before they signed Ramsey I thought they would try to get Bradley Roby or Ronald Darby both are in their mid 20's. Chris Harris is on the downside of his career. I've had enough of aging vets looking for one more contract. They need to build from here on out for the long haul.

They have David Long who has the talent to become a very good CB. They have Jalen Ramsey and elite CB. at this point they are looking for backups not starters. Why everyone discounts Long, is beyond me. They have no understanding of how long CB's take to develop. Jalen is the exception not the rule. Chris Harris didn't become a starter until his second year, Bradley Roby didn't become a starter until 2018 after being drafted in 2014. The position is extremely technique heavy compared to college. Elite WR's will adjust their routes according to how the coverage lines up against them. CB' s must understand how even slightly shading to one side intentional or not will change the route in the NFL. That is part of the problem with Troy Hill, he isn't a technician on the field so he's constantly reacting to the WR instead of dictating to the receiver. This is why he's so inconsistent in his play. He's a 4th year player, so he shouldn't be making these types of mistakes. He's all he's going to be right now and that is a backup level player.

Long saw his first few snaps in the Atlanta game after the starters went out in the 4th quarter. It will be interesting to see if he gets more rotational snaps this coming week going into the bye the week after. Until they know what they have in Long I don't see anymore trades for CBs. In fact I think they are done. When they couldn't get Bitonio they took Corbett. Edwards played well enough to get them to the bye week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before they signed Ramsey I thought they would try to get Bradley Roby or Ronald Darby both are in their mid 20's. Chris Harris is on the downside of his career. I've had enough of aging vets looking for one more contract. They need to build from here on out for the long haul.

They have David Long who has the talent to become a very good CB. They have Jalen Ramsey and elite CB. at this point they are looking for backups not starters. Why everyone discounts Long, is beyond me.
I agree with you on the older vets. And I'll add that there's a critical mass where IF you get too many of them you have a fragile team and not just in terms of injuries.

Re: Long he played a ton of man coverage in college. You mention how difficult the transition is at CB in the NFL and that applies to Long too. Wade's secondary does heavy pattern matching and coordination/handoffs for his zone looks to work, and it's something they've been struggling with as a unit. They're not gonna man up every snap. So we'll see where he starts out.

I think he's going to settle in as a nickel CB where his coverage skills and agility match up very well with slot receivers. It's a key role in today's NFL and our defense and IMO where he will give us the most bang for the buck early on. But you may be right. We'll see and I do hope you're right btw as finding nickel corners is far easier than guys who can go outside the hashes.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

They have David Long who has the talent to become a very good CB. They have Jalen Ramsey and elite CB. at this point they are looking for backups not starters. Why everyone discounts Long, is beyond me. They have no understanding of how long CB's take to develop. Jalen is the exception not the rule. Chris Harris didn't become a starter until his second year, Bradley Roby didn't become a starter until 2018 after being drafted in 2014. The position is extremely technique heavy compared to college. Elite WR's will adjust their routes according to how the coverage lines up against them. CB' s must understand how even slightly shading to one side intentional or not will change the route in the NFL. That is part of the problem with Troy Hill, he isn't a technician on the field so he's constantly reacting to the WR instead of dictating to the receiver. This is why he's so inconsistent in his play. He's a 4th year player, so he shouldn't be making these types of mistakes. He's all he's going to be right now and that is a backup level player.

Long saw his first few snaps in the Atlanta game after the starters went out in the 4th quarter. It will be interesting to see if he gets more rotational snaps this coming week going into the bye the week after. Until they know what they have in Long I don't see anymore trades for CBs. In fact I think they are done. When they couldn't get Bitonio they took Corbett. Edwards played well enough to get them to the bye week.
Troy Hill was consistently good against Atlanta and is proving the point that the development takes time, for some players it takes more time, some need real reps.
What you want to see is a guy getting better each year - I think Hill has and is going to continue to play well and we won't be holding our breath waiting on Talibs return.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No thank you TST :) Ramsey, Long and Hill with NRC in the slot is a good enough group that we spend another mid round pick on a CB, maybe 2 one to eventually take over in the slot. Harris will get a nice fat payday that we will be smart and spend our money on bigger needs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't feel bad for any other fan base. We have been through as many, if not more lean years as any of them.

Other fan bases, no. My friend? yeah. We commiserate when our teams aren't doing well... I've known him for just shy of 15 years, so last year when he wanted to complain I had to tell him to STFU because we just got over a decade of historically bad play and one good year and we're having a Super caliber year and I wasn't about to listen to him bitch and moan about a team that'd made the playoffs something like 17 of the last 20 years or something...

But yeah, of the few friends that I have that are football fans, I commiserate with them.

Thankfully, I don't know any Pats fans and my son is now a Rams fan after growing up...for some reason... liking the Cowboys. Actually, he's more of an Aaron Donald fan, but yeah.