Report: Colt McCoy to be traded or released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/27/browns-release-trade-colt-mccoy/?sct=uk_t2_a5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/27/brown ... t=uk_t2_a5</a>

The Cleveland Browns are expected to release or trade quarterback Colt McCoy soon for a late-round draft pick, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

McCoy is 6-15 as a starting quarterback for the Browns, and went 4-9 in 2011 when he won the job. He’s thrown for 21 touchdowns, 20 interceptions for 4,388 yards and has a career 74.8 quarterback rating. McCoy is scheduled to make $2.325 million next season.

More from the Plain Dealer:

McCoy, a third-round pick of the Browns out of Texas, has become expendable now that the Browns have signed former Bears quarterback Jason Campbell to a two-year contract.

McCoy, the backup last season to Brandon Weeden, is not a match for the downfield, vertical passing game of Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner, and would fit better in a shorter passing game.

McCoy went into last season expecting to be the starter, but was replaced after the team drafted Brandon Weeden in the first round.

The team signed veteran quarterback Jason Campbell this week to backup Weeden, but could be in play for the starting nod.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So would you rather have McCoy and Suh, or Bradford and Brockers?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rabid Ram said:
Easy Bradford and brokers
I'll throw in Clausen, lol.

Two years ago this was still a hot button topic. In fact, this seemed to be the final downfall of the PD. That topic changed people.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Rabid Ram said:

Two years ago this was still a hot button topic. In fact, this seemed to be the final downfall of the PD. That topic changed people.
lol. Damn right it did. People's brains just flat out broke during that draft, and they're still broken today.

Thrawn

UDFA
DR RAM said:

I think the comparison (1st round picks to 1st round picks) would be Suh and RGIII.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Thrawn said:
DR RAM said:

I think the comparison (1st round picks to 1st round picks) would be Suh and RGIII.
Still, have to go with Bradford and Brock, Brock is still growing into his massive frame and Bradford will be a better qb longer than RGIII's career.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thrawn said:
DR RAM said:

Uh oh, flushed someone out.... Welcome to the board.

I guess a thousand comparisons could be made. My question was really just a jest.

jap

Legend
Barrison6 said:
Thrawn said:
DR RAM said:

Still, have to go with Bradford and Brock, Brock is still growing into his massive frame and Bradford will be a better qb longer than RGIII's career.

. . . plus, the Incredible Brock was playing somewhat crippled last season. How good is he gonna be with a fully healthy ankle? :twisted:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
DR RAM said:
Rabid Ram said:

Hell, it changed RRF too. I know one cat that is here now that was for Clausen and Suh. Hell I was in the Suh, McCoy camp.

That said, you think we have gotten our $$$ worth out of Sam? Time for the kid to step it up this year me thinks. I know it was the CBA that let him sign for so much, but $$$ wise to me he hasn't been there. This year will tell alot. I also understand the OL and weapons issues. But a good QB raises the talent level around him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thrawn said:
DR RAM said:

You're right in a way but it's just not the right comparison to make. I understand you're not the one who originally made it. Too much of a butterfly effect though.

If we pick Suh and suck in 2010...we definitely pick a QB in the 2011 Draft. But if we don't suck more than the Panthers, we end up picking one of Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker.

Sounds pretty terrible to me.

We made the right choice in 2010. I am glad we did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dagonet said:
Hell, it changed RRF too. I know one cat that is here now that was for Clausen and Suh. Hell I was in the Suh, McCoy camp.

That said, you think we have gotten our $$$ worth out of Sam? Time for the kid to step it up this year me thinks. I know it was the CBA that let him sign for so much, but $$$ wise to me he hasn't been there. This year will tell alot. I also understand the OL and weapons issues. But a good QB raises the talent level around him.

That's not really true. There are maybe 5 QBs in the history of the game who elevated the talent around them. The vast majority of good or better QBs are a function of the talent around them. Guys like Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Tom Brady(although he wasn't dominant until his supporting cast improved). Then again, those 5 or so QBs all had HOF Coaches that developed them except Manning.

I agree that with the money we're paying him, I want more. I think we'll get that in 2013 with us finally having a supporting cast up to par. I just don't agree with the commonly stated idea that a good QB raises the team around him. It's too often said and history says otherwise. QBs who do that are very few and far between.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
jrry32 said:
Thrawn said:
DR RAM said:

You're right in a way but it's just not the right comparison to make. I understand you're not the one who originally made it. Too much of a butterfly effect though.

If we pick Suh and suck in 2010...we definitely pick a QB in the 2011 Draft. But if we don't suck more than the Panthers, we end up picking one of Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker.

Sounds pretty terrible to me.

We made the right choice in 2010. I am glad we did.

You think Bradford has earned his coin? Just asking is all.

…..

Legend
Dagonet said:

:shock: oh dear...

Your Honor, I move to strike that last comment from the record on the grounds that it will make a mockery of this court room.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
jrry32 said:
Dagonet said:

That's not really true. There are maybe 5 QBs in the history of the game who elevated the talent around them. The vast majority of good or better QBs are a function of the talent around them. Guys like Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Tom Brady(although he wasn't dominant until his supporting cast improved). Then again, those 5 or so QBs all had HOF Coaches that developed them except Manning.

I agree that with the money we're paying him, I want more. I think we'll get that in 2013 with us finally having a supporting cast up to par. I just don't agree with the commonly stated idea that a good QB raises the team around him. It's too often said and history says otherwise. QBs who do that are very few and far between.

I'm just saying with the $$$ the kid is getting... It's time to take the skirt off of him and for him to become a man in NFL terms. Not saying he isn't a man as you or me, but NFL terms. :cool: I hope we get that in 2013..

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The Dog said:
Dagonet said:

:shock: oh dear...

Your Honor, I move to strike that last comment from the record on the grounds that it will make a mockery of this court room.

Dog,

This is a court room? lol

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
jrry32 said:
Dagonet said:

Manning kind of belongs, but he was given strong weapons which helped his development. Walsh and Montana snuck up on the league in '82. It took them a couple years to get back and by then the niners were loaded. Montana led that team but he didn't elevate them. Brady? As good as he's been since '07, his team hasn't won anything. I'll spare everyone the cheaters rant.

There's been just one QB (that I remember) who elevated his team into a SB and that was Elway. The Broncos of '86 & '87 did not have the roster of a SB team. Elway got them there. But even he lost those big.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Personally, I've never understood that idiom. "Elevates the talent level around him." Or any other similar proclamation that's impossible to prove. "Elevates the play of those around him" is another one. Someone point me to any kind of substantive proof of that.

You can't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7U9UjGhuA[/youtube]

And not only can people not prove that statement, but why on earth would you want a team full of players that needed someone else to elevate their play. Tell you what. Every single guy on MY team better be willing and capable of elevating his own ass without needing someone else to do it FOR them.

Anyway. Sure Bradford needs to produce better. But let's not pretend for one moment that he's been given everything he needs to succeed up to this point. Or even half of what he needs. Nor should we try to talk ourselves into believing that his offensive line hasn't been absolutely decimated during his sophomore and junior years in the NFL. Or that he didn't lose almost every single receiver he had in 2010. And 2011.

Excuses? Sure, why not. Call 'em what you want. But the fact remains. It's not been an ideal situation for this dude. And because he's not "living up to his paycheck" or "earning his coin" is just the collateral effect of not having the tools necessary to do so. Say for instance the entire O-line fell down after every snap and every single receiver had one shoe filled with cement. Real QBs make it work anyway? Yeah. Okay. I know that was a ridiculous analogy, but still. It's only partly untrue.

2013 is the year of Sam. If not, then whatever. I'm sure Fisher and company are more than capable of making the determination as to whether or not Bradford is the Quarterback to take them to where they need to go. And it's completely evident that Fisher isn't tied to an owner that's going to make roster decisions for him either. Let's trust that what he's conveyed to us so far about Bradford is true. That he *is* a Franchise-caliber QB who hasn't had the chance to prove what he's capable of yet.

/rant

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
The Dude said:
Personally, I've never understood that idiom. "Elevates the talent level around him." Or any other similar proclamation that's impossible to prove. "Elevates the play of those around him" is another one. Someone point me to any kind of substantive proof of that.

You can't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7U9UjGhuA[/youtube]

And not only can people not prove that statement, but why on earth would you want a team full of players that needed someone else to elevate their play. Tell you what. Every single guy on MY team better be willing and capable of elevating his own ass without needing someone else to do it FOR them.

Anyway. Sure Bradford needs to produce better. But let's not pretend for one moment that he's been given everything he needs to succeed up to this point. Or even half of what he needs. Nor should we try to talk ourselves into believing that his offensive line hasn't been absolutely decimated during his sophomore and junior years in the NFL. Or that he didn't lose almost every single receiver he had in 2010. And 2011.

Excuses? Sure, why not. Call 'em what you want. But the fact remains. It's not been an ideal situation for this dude. And because he's not "living up to his paycheck" or "earning his coin" is just the collateral effect of not having the tools necessary to do so. Say for instance the entire O-line fell down after every snap and every single receiver had one shoe filled with cement. Real QBs make it work anyway? Yeah. Okay. I know that was a ridiculous analogy, but still. It's only partly untrue.

2013 is the year of Sam. If not, then whatever. I'm sure Fisher and company are more than capable of making the determination as to whether or not Bradford is the Quarterback to take them to where they need to go. And it's completely evident that Fisher isn't tied to an owner that's going to make roster decisions for him either. Let's trust that what he's conveyed to us so far about Bradford is true. That he *is* a Franchise-caliber QB who hasn't had the chance to prove what he's capable of yet.

/rant

Agree with all points 10/10 rant dude. Lol

Fisher came to the rams instead of the phins imho because of the qb situations in both places not his entire reasoning but im sure a big part.

Other part ownership letting him build the team not owners demanding players