Report: Chargers open to dealing No. 3 overall pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rt-chargers-open-to-dealing-no-3-overall-pick

The Chargers have their highest draft pick in more than a decade, but they might not be intending to keep it.

2016 NFL DRAFT

Per the U-T San Diego, citing a source familiar with the situation, the team is open to dealing the No. 3 overall pick. The move would not be unusual for a franchise that previously dealt a No. 1 pick that eventually became Mike Vick and Eli Manning, whom they traded to the Giants a few picks later.

But the real surprise here would be if anything happened at all. Teams are still trading up to acquire once-in-a-generation players, but the playbook is out. Like baseball's transition into the Moneyball era, teams have the proper sample size to determine that more draft picks are better than fewer. With hundreds of draft eligible prospects every year, and with a deep class that could push first-round talent into the early third round, this draft is more about increasing your chances at a hit.

Across any sport, this theory has its outliers. Bryce Harper, Andrew Luck or LeBron James are worth their weight in gold. But in a draft like this one in 2016, is there anyone beyond the No. 1 overall pick that is worth your right arm?

The Robert Griffin III trade has changed expectations for that kind of move-up forever. It was too steep for Chip Kelly last year, and Marcus Mariota could have very well saved his career in Philadelphia. The Chargers may have a market if the quarterback market elevates during Pro Day season and Jerry Jones gets serious about taking Tony Romo's replacement at No. 4.

If not, trading down in a big spot is simply a good idea -- so good that most of the teams are already trying to do it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised. But not entirely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure they will give the Rams a sweetheart deal.
upload_2016-2-28_13-51-6.png

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Bryce Harper, Andrew Luck or LeBron James are worth their weight in gold
Weird examples to choose by this writer to associate with LeBron. Bryce maybe since he just had a historic age-22 season (but hasn't won a championship or anything), then Luck? I guess Luck had a great rookie season but he's hardly LeBron legendary status yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Picks 1 & 3 up for sale. Browns gonna take QB at 2. I'd go up to 1 overall personally, and get my guy. But the Rams might investigate pick 3, hard to say, and I'd guess pick 1 might be cheaper given how much Spanos hates Kroenke lol.

What would really make a lot of sense is trying to get Rivers from them. He's got some years left, and would be a perfect fit, while the Chargers could rebuild their team with the picks and also walk away with Wentz or Goff. But are the Chargers smart enough to do that? Spanos probably can't see past his hate to entertain that I think.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My fear would be to trade up to 3 to early. I wouldn't want a team to move up to 1 and jump in front of us. Once Tenn makes their pick, then I would do it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dean looks like he just got a colonoscopy with a fire hose... :rolllaugh:
And Stan looks like he got a little on his fine Italian leather shoes.

Spanos looks like such a little troll there. Oh wait - he is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Picks 1 & 3 up for sale. Browns gonna take QB at 2. I'd go up to 1 overall personally, and get my guy. But the Rams might investigate pick 3, hard to say, and I'd guess pick 1 might be cheaper given how much Spanos hates Kroenke lol.

What would really make a lot of sense is trying to get Rivers from them. He's got some years left, and would be a perfect fit, while the Chargers could rebuild their team with the picks and also walk away with Wentz or Goff. But are the Chargers smart enough to do that? Spanos probably can't see past his hate to entertain that I think.
Rivers already said he wouldn't stay with the Chargers if they moved to LA. You think he'd approve a trade to the LA Rams? If so, that would be a MAJOR slap in the face to Spanos.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My fear would be to trade up to 3 to early. I wouldn't want a team to move up to 1 and jump in front of us. Once Tenn makes their pick, then I would do it.
Pretty sure all these kinds of move up scenarios have the condition that their guy is still there at the pick they are moving up to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rivers already said he wouldn't stay with the Chargers if they moved to LA. You think he'd approve a trade to the LA Rams? If so, that would be a MAJOR slap in the face to Spanos.

I think he bleeds Chargers colors and would not want to be a part of disappointing their fans. And I love that about Rivers man.

But I also think in the event of a trade he'd start over with whomever traded for him. And the Rams are a team that has everything, or at least they will be very well stocked after this offseason FA period and draft. Good young OL, best young RB in the league, and will have a retooled WR corps around Tavon. Yeah, Rivers could do some damage with us.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Cleveland scares the sh@#$%t out of me at 2..

Although unlikely, I wish they would come out and say they want Goff so we can trade up to 3 for Wentz.

I've gone on record numerous times to label Goff a bust. Something g just tells me he is not gou g to pan out. I have a much stronger feeling Wentz will be a stud. JMHO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cleveland scares the sh@#$%t out of me at 2..

Although unlikely, I wish they would come out and say they want Goff so we can trade up to 3 for Wentz.

I've gone on record numerous times to label Goff a bust. Something g just tells me he is not gou g to pan out. I have a much stronger feeling Wentz will be a stud. JMHO
I think Goff is too good and effortless of a thrower to be a bust. I don't view him as a must have and agree that Wentz will be better. I would trade quite a bit for Wentz - not near as much for Goff.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wentz, or Lynch is my hope. Really want Wentz though

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So the #1 is for sale....Browns soundly going QB & now the #3 is up for sale too. Wonder what up there that teams would kill their yearly best salary cap relief element & major talent pool flow for a few seasons that would make NFL teams move up there?

This draft really isn't all that special & is certainly short on upper tier offensive prospects (Not good for the Rams)? The only real offensive position worth moving up for would have to be QB.

Wow would that be something if the 3 QB's come off 1, 2, 3! Sure would mess up the 9ers & Eagles plans.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see teams like San Fran, Dallas and Philly as teams who are only in the top 10 because of an out of (recent) character year and if they play lke they are accustomed to (10+ wins) they wont see a shot at a Franchise type QB at their spot in the draft. Cant see them giving that up.
Also see San Diego and Tennessee as teams who don't need the single player to make impact and can make some serious hay
Gonna be fun to watch what happens.

Well, that is as long as we get what WE want
Haha

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
after everything ive heard I want Wentz .... doesn't it just suck we won those extra few games now ;) ... im no draft analyst or player expert but a potential Future QB along the lines of the consensus top three might make us playoff bound ....I just don't know if we have the firepower (or the stones) to pull off a trade required to get any of them

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz has the look of a stud AFC Central type QB in the mold of Big Ben. There is absolutely no way the Browns pass on him. Goff's hand measurement sealed the deal for them IMO.

So at this point my thinking is IF you want Wentz you gotta go to 1.

IF you want Goff it's a little more unclear thanks to the Chargers putting their pick up for sale, but at a minimum you gotta get up in front of the 9ers. Does Dallas want him? One way to find out is try to move up with them. That might tip them off if they covet him, so there's that, but worst case you can move to 3 even though that sucks as an option due to having to deal with Spanos.

Lynch is a wildcard. It would not surprise me if some teams had him very high on their board. The 9ers for example could take him because he'd be a ridiculously great fit for Kelly. Certainly the Eagles are another team to consider as a move up point.

As I've mentioned before I don't think the Rams are going to be willing to move up. Still hoping of course but I admit it's very unlikely due to it not helping this regime win now. So chances are we'll have to wait and see if Lynch is there at 15, and even if he is then it's probably going to be "what's the dropoff from him to that next guy we like" vs "how much do we like the WRs that are there."