Report: Bills hesitant to exercise Watkins' 2018 option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ills-hesitant-to-exercise-watkins-2018-option

Report: Bills hesitant to exercise Watkins' 2018 option

The deadline to exercise fifth-year options on 2014 first-round picks is approaching, and Sammy Watkins' long-term future with the Buffalo Bills remains in limbo.

The wide receiver, drafted fourth overall out of Clemson three years ago, has incurred multiple injuries over his first three seasons, the latest being a foot ailment that landed him on injured reserve in 2016. The Bills have seen Watkins miss 11 games over the past two years and are reportedly hesitant about extending the wideout through 2018.

According to WGR 550's Sal Capaccio, the team has not yet picked up Watkins' option because the fifth year is guaranteed against injury. If Buffalo exercises the option, the Bills will shell out around $13 million in 2018, more than double what Watkins is earning in 2017.

While new coach Sean McDermott has said recently that his star wideout has suffered "no setbacks" in his rehab and should be in the organization's plans in 2017, it will be hard to evaluate Watkins' value to the team going forward if he continues to miss significant time in-season.

Hints at Watkins' future with the club should come on draft night. The Bills are slated to pick 10th in the first round and have been linked to the class's top two wideouts, Mike Williams and Corey Davis. It would be quite cruel for Buffalo to draft Williams, a Clemson wideout in the same mold as Watkins, and then choose to bypass the veteran's fifth year, but that's the business.

If Buffalo chooses not to exercise the option, it can always offer Watkins an extension during the season or place the franchise tag on him in the offseason if he stays healthy and produces at a level worthy of a longer deal. That's a big if.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watkins had durability concerns coming out of Clemson and has done nothing at the next level to disprove that concern. Many wanted the Rams to draft him I had concerns and still do, but he is a game changer when he's on the field.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
at 13m they are hardly even saving money if they were to extend him long term anyway. doesnt seem worth it, at least atm

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seem like they're better off declining it and just franchise tagging him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anyone remember that guy who was obsessed with Watkins and Bradford? I don't recall his name at the moment, but he was banned from this site. This article reminded me of him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Anyone remember that guy who was obsessed with Watkins and Bradford? I don't recall his name at the moment, but he was banned from this site. This article reminded me of him.
Lol that guy was straight up stalker crazy about Watkins. Wish I could remember his name.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
damn....it's a couple of guys that still want Watkins at TST.....They love Sammy....One always posted a huge photo of him before the draft. LOL

This goes to show, it takes more than just a #1 receiver...and Watkins has #1 wr written all over him. I still remember listening to a MNF game on the radio....and Boomer E. was describing how Watkins was eating Darrell Revis alive...yet the final stats only had him for 1 or 2 catches. Stats didn't tell the real story.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd love to pick up Watkins if he's a UFA next season.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If they plan on letting go of Watkins, they better find a replacement because Brandon Taint and Andre Holmes aren't scaring anyone.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Rfhip or something like that

There was actually two of them(went back cause was annoyed I couldn't remember eithers name), and you were close lockdnram2. One was the crazy stalker Rodney C, the other was RFIP who was less stalkery but just as crazy about Watkins.