Replace Mannion with Johnny Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Turducken

Starter
It's not hate.
He has just looked unimpressive when he has played.
Get a little perspective. He had one start and it was against a hot team while we were resting whitworth, gurley, woods, watkins, kupp & sullivan. In that start he put up better numbers than Goff did in five of his seven starts in 2016 (all with the first team offense). I wish we had kept Keenum over Mannion last year, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm guessing some of the same people who want to flush Mannion had similar thoughts about Keenum and Foles in prior years.

fearsomefour

Legend
Get a little perspective. He had one start and it was against a hot team while we were resting whitworth, gurley, woods, watkins, kupp & sullivan. In that start he put up better numbers than Goff did in five of his seven starts in 2016 (all with the first team offense). I wish we had kept Keenum over Mannion last year, but hindsight is 20/20. I'm guessing some of the same people who want to flush Mannion had similar thoughts about Keenum and Foles in prior years.
Not what Im talking about personally.
Foles was horrifically bad and should have been flushed.
Letting Keenum go was as much about money as anything.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Oh NO you dint!

Yeah, I said it! Now hear me out, please. Before everything that happened this off-season, it would have been a joke for me to consider this (Go ahead and laugh, LACHAMP46!:yess:).

I've been disturbed by how bad Sean Mannion looked in the last game last year. He didn't even look like a NFL back up in the frisco game. Manziel has skills and mobility. I think if he received the same training as Sean Mannion, he could do incredibly better. I have no confidence that Mannion will not only not win a game, but would be factor iin future losses should he take over for Goff in any instance. It seems that Johnny has matured, and I am just talking of him in a back-up role.Make it a veteran minimum deal, because we have the worst back up in the NFL, imo.

um... NO.
giphy.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If not Johnny, then who? You guys CAN'T feel comfortable with Mannion....or do you?
Yes. The Frisco game is more ridiculous to judge him by than playing with guys ready to be cut during pre-season. At least then he is playing against lower level players as well as playing with them. In the Whiner game, he was playing against 1st stringers with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Johnny Football is like getting a ride with a shitfaced driver. It's not if, it's when he kills you.

Turducken

Starter
We could have kept Keenum for about $1.1mil more than we paid Mannion last year. If that was only about the money, then it was short sighted I think they just didn't judge his development accurately.

Mannion is a decent backup qb for his price. He's shown some flashes in preseason games, but I think we should still consider drafting a better option this year if someone with first or second round grade somehow falls into the fourth round. It will be good to have an alternative if Goff wants $30mil/yr to keep playing after 2020.

As for Johnny Manziel, he actually sounds like an adult in interviews now. I'd give him a shot on the practice squad. Keep your nose clean and run the scout team for $200k and then we talk in 2019.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really don't agree. Letting Keenum go was about him being worse than Mannion. I am sure Mannion's pay had a little to do with it but at the time, we probably could have kept Keenum without paying him much more. He didn't go to the Viqueens because he was thought of as a starter. Of course anyone playing behind Bradford knows he has a better chance to start than being behind most QBs. Still, he was signed for what? $2 million? I don't think you quibble over a million when you're talking about a back-up QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
I really don't agree. Letting Keenum go was about him being worse than Mannion. I am sure Mannion's pay had a little to do with it but at the time, we probably could have kept Keenum without paying him much more. He didn't go to the Viqueens because he was thought of as a starter. Of course anyone playing behind Bradford knows he has a better chance to start than being behind most QBs. Still, he was signed for what? $2 million? I don't think you quibble over a million when you're talking about a back-up QB.
You're probably right.
He wasn't worse than Mannion as Keenum had some success. Mannion hasn't gotten on the field. Keenum would have been cheap to keep that is true.
We have had this discussion before.
I was down on Mannion I am now Neutral (which means pulling for the guy). He showed a little in the SF game. What he would really need is a series of starts. Can't judge a guy on one start regardless of the situation.
Getting into a rhythm of prep, game day, with WRs etc would show what he can do at this point. He is sort of in a no win with the Rams at this point.

fearsomefour

Legend
We could have kept Keenum for about $1.1mil more than we paid Mannion last year. If that was only about the money, then it was short sighted I think they just didn't judge his development accurately.

Mannion is a decent backup qb for his price. He's shown some flashes in preseason games, but I think we should still consider drafting a better option this year if someone with first or second round grade somehow falls into the fourth round. It will be good to have an alternative if Goff wants $30mil/yr to keep playing after 2020.

As for Johnny Manziel, he actually sounds like an adult in interviews now. I'd give him a shot on the practice squad. Keep your nose clean and run the scout team for $200k and then we talk in 2019.
I would rather give Kap a shot over Manziel if we are playing the reclaim game. Kap is massively more talented physically.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. The Frisco game is more ridiculous to judge him by than playing with guys ready to be cut during pre-season. At least then he is playing against lower level players as well as playing with them. In the Whiner game, he was playing against 1st stringers with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Johnny Football is like getting a ride with a shitfaced driver. It's not if, it's when he kills you.
Yet, Mannion has been the pro game too long, to look that bad. What I was really saying with Johnny Football, in an almost anything goes LA Rams, why not gamble a little at the back up QB position to get better? I regret ever using Manziel's name in this thread because it's an easy distraction in order to not talk about how bad Mannion looked to many of us. You obviously have confidence in him, and I think he showed us who he really is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yet, Mannion has been the pro game too long, to look that bad. What I was really saying with Johnny Football, in an almost anything goes LA Rams, why not gamble a little at the back up QB position to get better? I regret ever using Manziel's name in this thread because it's an easy distraction in order to not talk about how bad Mannion looked to many of us. You obviously have confidence in him, and I think he showed us who he really is.
I watched almost every game he played in college. I don't think he has showed us anything - bad or good. He has obviously showed the coaches something. I have a hard time buying that about $900K is why he is our back-up rather than Keenum. If we decide to move on - so be it. But looking at that Whiner game as any kind of indication as to the QB he is, to me is just silly. Hell - you could argue that Bradford's early games were abysmal and same with Goff in that shitty ass offense we had for his first 7 games. We were not playing that Whiner game to win and anyone would know that. Even McVay said he shorted Mannion in players and game plan.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Mannion's stat line

31-50, 235 yards, 62%, 0-1

The equivalent of 2 games? For his career.

Pro game too long? Doesn't seem that long to me.

About to begin his 2nd camp with the current coach.

Up to the poster to decide, I guess.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

giphy.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I though about it for a second.

Untitled.gif

And then LOL'd.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I guess im also in the minority but I would give him a shot. I have my doubts about Mannion still so any competition for the backup job is fine with me. I wanna believe he really has turned his life around but no one knows for sure. I doubt he would cost anything but the vet minimum and as soon as he does something stupid you can just cut his ass and move on.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Letting Keenum go was about him being worse than Mannion.

I have a hard time buying that about $900K is why he is our back-up rather than Keenum.

I thought Keenum asked to be released or am I wrong?????

True but Kap won't sign for backup money. That's a big reason he didn't play last year.

That's a narrative pushed by people who want to say he isn't in the NFL because he wants starter money.

According to his agent no conversations about him signing even get to the money part.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Disagree on both accounts.

That Green Bay game messed Foles up. He would have competed if The Rams don’t trade up for Goff. Those 2 QB’s had The Rams at .500
Jared Goff was 0-7 the following year. I think last year spoke volumes of how bad Fisher was at putting a successful Ofeense together. All 3 QB’s were playoff caliber.

fearsomefour

Legend
Disagree on both accounts.

That Green Bay game messed Foles up. He would have competed if The Rams don’t trade up for Goff. Those 2 QB’s had The Rams at .500
Jared Goff was 0-7 the following year. I think last year spoke volumes of how bad Fisher was at putting a successful Ofeense together. All 3 QB’s were playoff caliber.
Agree about Fisher.
Disagree about Foles competing.
He does need a good offensive coach to protect him however. Didn't not have that with the Rams. Does now.
I don't give a toss about a QB W L record either.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thought I heard the names Manziel and Kaepernick so I thought I'd swing by and see what was happening in this thread.

richard%2Bsimmons%2Bpic1.jpg

Btw while I'm all for a good redemption story, I do remember being told by my AA sponsor not to make any major decisions until I had one year of sobriety. Someone should be telling Johnny that as well.