Repeat D SACKS ... or Better

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm just dreaming of the Rams win last week. More specifcally, I'm dreaming about those 8 smack downs they laid on the Ole' Krapper. I very much so would like a repeat performance or better. (Yeah... better would be good :love:)

But anyhow, I just gotta compare ARZ's and SF's OL. Then I'll finish it off with my opinion on Palmer's pocket presence and the conclusion.

OL's

SF/ARZ-Edge
LOT- Staley /Veldeer- Staley
OG- Iupoti/Larsen-Iupoti
C- IDK
RG-Boone/Fanaika-Boone
RT- Davis/Massie-Davis

So being I graded the entire Niner OL to be better than the Cards, barring C(IDK), I think that speaks for itself. Cards in recent history have struggled mightily against our rush. Our is better now than it has been in the last five years, despite the numbers and including Long is still on the team. So it's not a stretch to say the Cardinals Cardinals OL will struggle to maintain a pocket for Palmer. Speaking of Palmer...

We've seen him under heavy duress before. You only have to go back to week one of last year to remember what it looked like. Palmer beats the blitz by making quick, smart, reads. Mentally, he's a better pocket passer than Kap. But, the defense knows exactly where he's gonna be. Palmer rarely does much outside the pocket. Against a blitzing team like the Rams, I'd say Kap fares far better than Palmer. Not to mention Palmer has not faced a defense like ours all year. That has to go in our favor because we've seen a couple good pure pocket passers, already. But, Palmer is by far the most immobile of the two (Romo and Foles). Not to mention Palmer and the Cards are 28th in the NFL in rushing yards. With that said, he and the ARZ WR's have to do it themselves.

Now to conclude everything I just mentioned, I got a prediction. Expect to see a ton of disguised blitzes from Greg Williams. I do not expect us to back off unless we have a lead late, etc. This could very well be a bigger blood bath from our defense than in the Niners game.

(Football Gameplan said our X-factor was our DL, I disagree. I know our DL is gonna bring the heat. Our secondary is the X-Factor by taking away the short passes and not giving up the big one.)

jap

Legend
The NFL single game team sack record is 12 sacks by five different teams. Our goal should be to get at least 13.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The NFL single game team sack record is 12 sacks by five different teams. Our goal should be to get at least 13.
Thanks for this^ I have been wondering what the Record was!! ( Do you know who the holders of the record are?)

RamWoodie

Legend
Let's be real!!! The Cards took note of the 8 sacks on Kap...they will be working hard on pass protection! Even so, the Ram DLine will come away with sacks because they're that good.

The question in this game is NOT the defense...it's the offense! Teams have film on Austin Davis now, so he has to be better mentally...processing what he sees from the defense and being able to counter. He hasn't thrown much to Bailey either...he needs to find him as well as everyone else!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it seemed like Williams was bringing different looks while blitzing last game unlike the games before. When you load the box constantly and bring the house its obvious to know whats coming but he didnt seem to do as much of that last game which I think made the difference. again i just hope he realizes he's still getting a lot more sacks with just his front four than with 2 or 3 extra guys. I hope this game he puts just a little more faith in the front four and go for the coverage sacks and time his blitz packages well. Palmer is a smart QB so Williams really has to think through his blitz schemes. i love lots of blitzing but its gotta be done smart and not overdone or stacking 8 in the box. make Palmer hesitate and that extra second will let the front 4 or 5 get to him

RamzFanz

Damnit
it seemed like Williams was bringing different looks while blitzing last game unlike the games before. When you load the box constantly and bring the house its obvious to know whats coming but he didnt seem to do as much of that last game which I think made the difference. again i just hope he realizes he's still getting a lot more sacks with just his front four than with 2 or 3 extra guys. I hope this game he puts just a little more faith in the front four and go for the coverage sacks and time his blitz packages well. Palmer is a smart QB so Williams really has to think through his blitz schemes. i love lots of blitzing but its gotta be done smart and not overdone or stacking 8 in the box. make Palmer hesitate and that extra second will let the front 4 or 5 get to him

^^^^This

RamzFanz

Damnit
Last game Williams was presenting multiple looks before the snap confusing Krappy and not over committing on the blitz.

Let 4 or 5 collapse the pocket with the rare all in blitz.

Tell AD, stay in the pocket and take the sack or throw it away. The WRs are open. (or start Hill who already knows this)

Let TM work the edge over and over. I would LOVE to see TM 30+ times with 20+ going outside.

Rams win.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I think they will get at least 5 sacks,but if we have a double digit lead in the 4th qtr I say 7-8 sacks

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Kaepernick is an easier QB to sack because of his tendency to hold the ball and buy time with his legs. Palmer has next to no mobility to he will be getting the ball out quickly.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kaepernick is an easier QB to sack because of his tendency to hold the ball and buy time with his legs. Palmer has next to no mobility to he will be getting the ball out quickly.

Therein lies the problem to solve, and so far this year Williams hasn't solved it. Teams that are using short drops/short quick passes have had their way and have moved the chains. He needs to ease up on sending extra guys and focus on covering the WR's, especially LF because he can still break off big plays.

If he sends one guy on some plays I'm fine with that but Palmer is a crafty and smart vet and he knows how to handle a blitz. The guy is really good and it's not like Williams is going to show him much he hasn't seen in his life.

Athos

Legend
Unleash the Rain Maker!

Time for Donald to get his multi-sack game in the books.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Unleash the Rain Maker!

Time for Donald to get his multi-sack game in the books.

I want to see him get to the QB-RB exchange and steal the handoff or cause a fumble..........he'll garner TONS of media attention and will be on all of the top plays of the week schticks.

jap

Legend
Thanks for this^ I have been wondering what the Record was!! ( Do you know who the holders of the record are?)

I posted the answer in last week's game thread. Here it is again from answers.com:

The NFL record for sacks in a game is 12 and has been done 5 times:
1) Dallas vs. Pittsburgh, Nov. 20, 1966
2) St. Louis vs. Baltimore, Oct. 26, 1980
3) Chicago vs. Detroit, Dec. 16, 1984
4) Dallas vs. Houston, Sept. 29, 1985
5) NY Giants vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 29, 2007