Remember Robert Delpino

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Before the she witch gutted the team, I loved watching this guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfHlQx08mnk

Agree. Loved him in 1988-89, same seasons as Everett's best.

1990 we gave up on Bell to early, put too much faith in old Curt Warner. In 1991 Delpino had that one tough game vs Giants early in the season but he was really more of a complimentary back than the workhorse.

My Rams info came from the LA Times starting in late 70s. If I missed them at the bookstore I'd check the local library. Also did a lot of USA today from 80s to 90s. They included more defensive stats.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Did exactly the same things.

USA Toady's Monday paper was a must because it had a more detailed box-score.

My first subscription was at fourteen years of age, and to Pro Football Weekly.

My memory is telling me that the USA Today articles covering the Sunday games actually came out on Tuesday back then. I remember buying 2 different local papers on Mondays, and then I'd hope the the USA would have some additional nuggets on Tuesday. My wife and sons tell me that my memory sucks though.

The year ED2105 set the rushing record... I recorded his rushing stats by hand in a notebook. I compiled the stats using those 3 papers. I remember hoping that the USA Today would have updated stats on Tuesday which actually happened a few times. My mom still has that notebook.

I think about how caveman-like we had to live back then compared to today. Kinda wild. I tell my boys that it gave me a lot more time for sports and catching girls. We were definitely much more social people back in those times. I tell my boys that I used to have to call girls on the phone and their Dad or Mom usually answered the call. I had to politely ask to speak to their daughter before I could actually speak to her. The first time I told my sons this they asked why I didn't just TEXT her. Hahahahahahaaaaa

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My memory is telling me that the USA Today articles covering the Sunday games actually came out on Tuesday back then. I remember buying 2 different local papers on Mondays, and then I'd hope the the USA would have some additional nuggets on Tuesday. My wife and sons tell me that my memory sucks though.

The year ED2105 set the rushing record... I recorded his rushing stats by hand in a notebook. I compiled the stats using those 3 papers. I remember hoping that the USA Today would have updated stats on Tuesday which actually happened a few times. My mom still has that notebook.

I think about how caveman-like we had to live back then compared to today. Kinda wild. I tell my boys that it gave me a lot more time for sports and catching girls. We were definitely much more social people back in those times. I tell my boys that I used to have to call girls on the phone and their Dad or Mom usually answered the call. I had to politely ask to speak to their daughter before I could actually speak to her. The first time I told my sons this they asked why I didn't just TEXT her. Hahahahahahaaaaa
You guys are my Brothers from Other Mothers.

My ability to accurately recall things is not what it was but my recollection was that I started picking-up the USA Today on Monday mornings before getting on the Subway in Queens ... headed to school and later to work. That would have been early/mid-80's for me.

Back in the early/mid-70's it was Sporting News (SN) and then Pro Football Weekly (PFW). As mentioned above by Dodgersrf, the SN usually had a paragraph on each team. For him it was Thursday but I recall being able to get it on Wednesday afternoon. It was an absolute MUST.

When PFW came-out, I almost creamed-my-pants. I was just hitting puberty, so it did not take very much. An entire paper on Pro Football. Your favorite team could get half a page; and there were previews for the up-coming games.

The most important resource during the week was on Saturday Night (in NYC), and it was the one-hour-TV-Show This Week in the NFL, with hosts Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, Harry Kalas and Charlie Jones. They talked a little but it was mostly highlights of the previous Sunday's games. Not just of the top games but of every single game ... 6-10 plays. It was fantastic. That would have been early-mid-70's.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My memory is telling me that the USA Today articles covering the Sunday games actually came out on Tuesday back then.
I seem to recall it coming out on Tuesday as well. IIRR, it also contained the MNF results and stats. I never did the Sporting News route so I know it wasn't that. USA Today used to be delivered to certain establishments like hotels, so you could always grab one from a lobby without having to buy a subscription.

It's funny. When you would rarely find me in the library in HS, I would generally be reading the LA Times sports section to get Rams, Dodgers, Lakers info. Remember those wood poles that the papers hung from?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I seem to recall it coming out on Tuesday as well. IIRR, it also contained the MNF results and stats. I never did the Sporting News route so I know it wasn't that. USA Today used to be delivered to certain establishments like hotels, so you could always grab one from a lobby without having to buy a subscription.

It's funny. When you would rarely find me in the library in HS, I would generally be reading the LA Times sports section to get Rams, Dodgers, Lakers info. Remember those wood poles that the papers hung from?

I do remember those. Talk about high tech. LOL. They did keep the papers nice and neat though.