Remember John Greco? He got a 5 year extension.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns have reached a long-term agreement with offensive lineman John Greco, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Tuesday agreed to terms on a five-year contract with offensive lineman John Greco, the team announced.

“One of our goals,” said CEO Joe Banner, “is whenever possible to develop and keep our own players. We’re glad in this case that it worked out, and was mutually beneficial.”

“John is a solid, all-around teammate, on and off the field,” said Head Coach Rob Chudzinski. “He was given an opportunity to play last year and really showed well. He’s respected in the locker room for his approach, consistency and team-first attitude.”

Greco, a 6-4, 315-pound veteran in his sixth NFL season out of Toledo, is now signed through the 2017 season. He has seen action in 55 career contests with 14 starts.

In 2012, he appeared in 14 games, including a career-high 10 starts, all at left guard. Last season, the Youngstown, Ohio, native was a part of an offensive line that helped pave the way for Trent Richardson, who rushed for a 950 yards, and protected for Brandon Weeden, who threw for 3,385 yards, both franchise records among rookies.

Originally selected by St. Louis in the third round (65th overall) of the 2008 draft, Greco was traded to Cleveland prior to the start of the 2011 season.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Greco-reaches-agreement-with-Browns/876bf655-8010-4945-9a90-098d479ed38f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... 8d479ed38f</a>

I wonder if the Rams get a pick then?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
If you mean compensatory then the answer is no. If you mean something else then I'm not sure but I can't think of a scenario where the answer wouldn't be no. If that made any sense.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
If you mean compensatory then the answer is no. If you mean something else the I'm not sure but I can't think of a scenario where the answer wouldn't be no. If that made any sense.

I thought his trade involved a conditional pick?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yeah, but that would have been in 2012. Plus I don't think the Browns signing him to a multi-year deal would affect anything under any circumstances. Conditional picks are usually (if not always) determined by games played or snaps, or making the PB or some other measurable like that and not about salary or contract length.

What's more important to me is, is he really that good and how come he wasn't for us?

fearsomefour

Legend
Good for him! I liked when the Rams drafted him, thought they sort of gave up on him too early. Some of those Ram draft picks in and around that time were not bad, just most of them had to move on to other teams to find success.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It doesn't surprise me Spags traded away young talent... now having success elsewhere.

That's what he did.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good thing we never gave him a chance. Our record was so good though we really couldn't risk it.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Username said:
Good thing we never gave him a chance. Our record was so good though we really couldn't risk it.

Meh.

At the time of the trade he was still relatively unknown with big bucks invested in Bell(before Spags) and Dahl had just arrived.

He also wasn't drafted when Spags came. He was traded to Cleveland where Shurmur went.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
Venturi always liked him
So did I. So much that I got into a twitter war with Softli over him. We ended up agreeing to disagree about him. I documented how much better the Rams played when he was in the game, even when he split time with Goldfart.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Just going from my memory of the game write ups by Mike Franke and CoachO, I don't remember very many good things being said about his play and I do remember some negative comments about it.

My memory could easily be faulty but can anyone give a credible reason why they wouldn't play him if he was good?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Just going from my memory of the game write ups by Mike Franke and CoachO, I don't remember very many good things being said about his play and I do remember some negative comments about it.

My memory could easily be faulty but can anyone give a credible reason why they wouldn't play him if he was good?
Guess you didn't read mine. They are probably still out there in cyber-net somewhere.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
albefree69 said:

Because the people responsible for putting players on the field when he was here made the Rams the worse team in the history of the NFL.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
Username said:
Venturi always liked him
So did I. So much that I got into a twitter war with Softli over him. We ended up agreeing to disagree about him. I documented how much better the Rams played when he was in the game, even when he split time with Goldfart.

I remember you being impressed with him as well. Wasn't the knock on him always that his arms weren't long enough lol?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
DR RAM said:
Username said:
Venturi always liked him

I remember you being impressed with him as well. Wasn't the knock on him always that his arms weren't long enough lol?
That was the PD's take on him. Softli's knock was that he didn't think he had the mentality to play big boy football. My take was that he was a better player, and the Rams were a better team when he was on the field, and I gave examples. Somebody really liked Madam Goldberg, personally, I didn't have Goldberg making the 53 2 years in a row. Shocked that he did, among other guys that are not here anymore, or in the league for that matter.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM advised me:
Guess you didn't read mine. They are probably still out there in cyber-net somewhere.

If I didn't read yours it was only because someone (usually zn) didn't post it at The Huddle. Too bad because from reading what you post here I can tell I'd have liked them.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Username replied:
Because the people responsible for putting players on the field when he was here made the Rams the worse team in the history of the NFL.

Wasn't Boudreau our O-line coach for part of Greco's tenure?

Lesson

Oh, really?
albefree69 said:
Username replied:

Nope. It was Loney. Boudreau was fired the year before he was drafted.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
albefree69 said:
Username replied:

Loney :sly:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Lesson setting the record straight:

Thanks!

Well Loney sucked that's for sure. Maybe your explanation is spot on Dr Ram but I have trouble believing that's the whole story. How is it that in practice no one could tell who was looking better?

Possibly he was a game day player and never looked good in practice. When we traded him the Browns had nothing better and given the chance to show in real games what he could do he shined. Thus earning his multi-year extension.