Reggie Bush sues CVC...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ush-sues-st--louis-over-injury-153559370.html

After suffering a season-ending ACL injury when slipping on concrete surrounding the field at Edward Jones Stadium in a Week 8 loss to the Rams and hiring an attorney shortly thereafter, San Francisco 49ers running back Reggie Bush has officially filed a lawsuit against the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission.

The entirety of the lawsuit, which describes the surface as a "concrete ring of death," is available online. The former No. 2 overall pick's attorneys claim the CVC and St. Louis REgional Convention and Sports Complex "showed complete indifference to or conscious disregard for the safety of Mr. Bush and others."

Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown had suffered an injury at the stadium when slipping on the concrete and hitting his shoulder on a padded wall a week prior to Bush's ACL tear. Two weeks after Bush's injury, prior to the Rams' next home game, the CVC covered the concrete with a rubberized material.

Bush is seeking punitive damages as well as lawyers' fees "in excess of $25,000."

In a related note, the city of St. Louis has long been attempting to appease Rams owner Stan Kroenke with an offer of significant public funding for a new stadium in hopes of keeping the team in Missouri. The Rams, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders all applied for relocation to Los Angeles earlier this week.

Bush's lawsuit opens the possibility of an absolute worst-case scenario for St. Louis. The people could lose their team and the CVC — a government entity — could lose this lawsuit, burdening the taxpayers anyhow.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I think he's sueing the City of St Louis as opposed to the Rams organisation isn't he?

Stel

Starter
Bush isn't seeking attorneys fees and is not suing the Rams. The action is a pretty basic claim for damages under two alternative theories, premises liability and negligence, neither of which authorize the award of attorneys fees. The action is solely against the ST. LOUIS REGIONAL CONVENTION AND SPORTS COMPLEX AUTHORITY and ST. LOUIS CONVENTION & VISITORS COMMISSION. Almost impossible to get punitive damages in such cases also, especially since the claimed defect was open and obvious and known to the claimant before he voluntarily decided to play. Should be interesting to watch going forward.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I've watched that play a thousand times and never once have I gotten the impression that Reggie Bush was forced onto the concrete. He jogged to it.
Course you can sue a restaurant for falling down when you're drunk so I guess he'll get his payday.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
he should sue.. there's absolutely no reason for that outer strip to be concrete

just imagine if that was one of our players :palm:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
he should sue.. there's absolutely no reason for that outer strip to be concrete

This, everyone here would have raised hell if Gurley tore up his reconstructed ACL slipping on that concrete trying to avoid a hit while running out of bounds.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He had time to stop. He could see it's concrete. He has life long experience wearing cleats and knows they don't mix with hard surfaces.

Ram65

Legend
Bush isn't seeking attorneys fees and is not suing the Rams. The action is a pretty basic claim for damages under two alternative theories, premises liability and negligence, neither of which authorize the award of attorneys fees. The action is solely against the ST. LOUIS REGIONAL CONVENTION AND SPORTS COMPLEX AUTHORITY and ST. LOUIS CONVENTION & VISITORS COMMISSION. Almost impossible to get punitive damages in such cases also, especially since the claimed defect was open and obvious and known to the claimant before he voluntarily decided to play. Should be interesting to watch going forward.

Stel are you a lawyer or did you stay @ a Holiday Inn?:)

Should be interesting to follow. It's easy to second guess @ this point that they should have had the area covered to prevent slips. I often wonder about the benches and clutter on the sidelines causing injuries as well. How about players and coaches not paying attention to the play on the field and getting run over (injured) on the sidelines. Camera men too close to the action causing injuries too.
Football is a violent sport. :hiding:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with Stel that it would be tough for Bush to get paid in this suit.

This, everyone here would have raised hell if Gurley tore up his reconstructed ACL slipping on that concrete trying to avoid a hit while running out of bounds.

This is the problem when your stadium is a convention center is not primarily designed/used for a football stadium. The concrete may be there to facilitate rolling out props and stages and such for other events. There is a purpose for it I am sure.

And yes we would all be pissed it if were Gurley, but I would expect that players that are used to playing there regularly are apt to avoid the concrete at all cost, by falling down or whatever.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

How many Rams players have been injured because of his"ring of death"? They play a lot more games there so maybe they are coached up to realize the issue and it is a trap for unsuspecting visitors.

Maybe Reggie should have been smart enough to stay off the concrete.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to the Mod Squad for changing the thread title! My bad...

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
How many Rams players have been injured because of his"ring of death"? They play a lot more games there so maybe they are coached up to realize the issue and it is a trap for unsuspecting visitors.

Maybe Reggie should have been smart enough to stay off the concrete.

doesn't matter.. it's completely asinine. @Elmgrovegnome made a good point that it's probably there to roll out props and stages for events but it still should be covered before every game.

the fact that it took 2 players (luckily not ours or else all of your tunes would be different about this topic) getting hurt for them to finally realize "oh hey, maybe we should cover that slippery concrete up" is a joke

and being "smart enough to stay off the concrete" doesn't really apply when you're running full speed towards the sideline or get pushed right before you go out of bounds and momentum takes you farther then you wanna go

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
doesn't matter.. it's completely asinine. @Elmgrovegnome made a good point that it's probably there to roll out props and stages for events but it still should be covered before every game.

the fact that it took 2 players (luckily not ours or else all of your tunes would be different about this topic) getting hurt for them to finally realize "oh hey, maybe we should cover that slippery concrete up" is a joke

and being "smart enough to stay off the concrete" doesn't really apply when you're running full speed towards the sideline or get pushed right before you go out of bounds and momentum takes you farther then you wanna go
Been that way for 20 years and now its a problem? I'm not buying it. There's no reason for players to run all the way through the sideline and to the wall in the first place.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
negligence...they knew (prior week to that QB) or should have known that concrete in that area may cause an injury. Especially if there are no other arenas lined with concrete in such a way.
it's not like he's suing to repay lost earnings (performance type bonuses)....just getting the ejd on its toes..they covered it later...guess what, looks guilty to me..

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Of one of our players ran out of bounds and then slowed, then jogged on the concrete like Bush did my tune would be the same.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Conspiracy theory but how do we know this wasn't kronke paying these 2 players to do said dealings to make the ejd look bad to help facilitate what he wants

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
they covered it later...guess what, looks guilty to me..

That is actually irrelevant - changes after the fact are generally not admissible. The question is if at the time they reasonably should have know there was a risk. The injury the week before - likely admissible, but as far as I have heard that was the first in 20 years there...not exactly a pattern.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man! I should go back and sue my High School for when I slipped heading into the locker room. They should have prevented me from wearing cleats on concrete. I cracked my tailbone because of their incompetence and negligence. Maybe Reggie should sue the player who was chasing him out of bounds as if he hadn't, he would have stayed on the turf.