Regarding penalties...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfidelis

UDFA
Many have mentioned the penalties. However, my take in watching the game twice is that the officiating is very inconsistent and somewhat lopsided. I'm not suggesting we lost because of the refs. What I'm saying is they are inconsistent, calling holds on the Rams, but not so much on the Falcons... calling pushing in the back on the Rams that are a bit ticky, but not on the Falcons for more blatant, obvious pushes. I could go on. How many drives are killed by stuff like this? Long knows when he's off sides or jumps too early. Why do you think he was hacked off for being called off sides that led to the Falcons first TD? Of course there are other reasons we lost, especially bad play calling on offense. But the refs certainly didn't help us any.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed. I have noticed this for years. It is almost as if they have a vendetta against our crappy team for some reason. Talk about kicking a wounded dog. Give us a flippin break already.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I was very frustrated with the lack of calls against the falcons. I've already talked about it in several other threads. The constant gonzo push offs to create space and ryan's intentional grounding were killers. No excuse for those not drawing immediate flags.

I could have sworn that Quinn was tackled on by the falcon LT on the long jones TD.

I do know the falcons got away with massive amounts of holding.

This doesn't make me sound like a homer does it. lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The announcers pointed this out during the game; when you have a reputation for penalties the refs are out there looking for them. The Rams have put themselves in this situation.

It's unfortunate. But I get it.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
ramfidelis said:
Many have mentioned the penalties. However, my take in watching the game twice is that the officiating is very inconsistent and somewhat lopsided. [hilite]I'm not suggesting we lost because of the refs.[/hilite] What I'm saying is they are inconsistent, calling holds on the Rams, but not so much on the Falcons... calling pushing in the back on the Rams that are a bit ticky, but not on the Falcons for more blatant, obvious pushes. I could go on. How many drives are killed by stuff like this? Long knows when he's off sides or jumps too early. Why do you think he was hacked off for being called off sides that led to the Falcons first TD? Of course there are other reasons we lost, especially bad play calling on offense. But the refs certainly didn't help us any.
I am, all those non calls for holding and the 5 *mistake* penalties Fish was referring to definitely had an outcome of the game. Do you realize the kind of momentum our young team woulda had making the media-darling Falcons go three-and-out and actually give Tavon a chance to give us some good field position, that penalty on the opening drive was the game just doubt any of us knew it at the time... :grr:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
The announcers pointed this out during the game; when you have a reputation for penalties the refs are out there looking for them. The Rams have put themselves in this situation.

This is a Catch-22. How can the Rams do better on penalties if the refs scrutinize them to death? And manufacture penalties out of thin air?

Atlanta punted 6 times yesterday. 4 of the penalties were called on punt returns/fair catches. That's a fucking pattern on the part of the zebras.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
CGI_Ram said:

I don't get it. If we're going to get this much inconsistency from the regular officials then bring back the replacements. As least when they screwed up you could say they don't know how to interpret the rule. These guys are professionals and need to be held accountable just like everyone else on the field. If the game has become too fast and they can't keep up then retire.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:

This is a Catch-22. How can the Rams do better on penalties if the refs scrutinize them to death? And manufacture penalties out of thin air?

Atlanta punted 6 times yesterday. 4 of the penalties were called on punt returns/fair catches. That's a freaking pattern on the part of the zebras.

I thought the blocking in the back penalty on Stedman was a joke. It was a one handed push on the shoulder pad. No way that should have been called.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CGI_Ram said:

Yep. I mentioned this in another thread.
Its about reputation.
You think someone like Ndamukong Sue isn't watched more closely or judged more harshly than a guy like Geno Atkins? The same unwritten agenda goes for teams. The Falcons don't commit alot of penalties...the Rams do. The Falcons will more often than not get the benefit of the doubt on a borderline call than a team like the Rams.

It's the human factor i suppose. :bummed: