Refs will penalize players who dunk over the goal post

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram thinking apples and oranges:
I have a problem comparing the ease of and continued probability of tearing down backboards vs goalposts.
I wasn't trying to compare the ease of destruction between the two at all. It's the delay that happens afterwards that I was comparing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wasn't trying to compare the ease of destruction between the two at all. It's the delay that happens afterwards that I was comparing.
Right Alan i get that, but the delay of a defeated goalpost isn't going to happen often, very rarely, if hardly ever again...because it's not a backboard. :sneaky:

Its a non-issue.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram with this:
Right Alan i get that, but the delay of a defeated goalpost isn't going to happen often, very rarely, if hardly ever again...because it's not a backboard. :sneaky:

Its a non-issue.
That's a vary curious statement Mojo. What do you base that on? How can it be a non-issue if it's happened before and they've done nothing to strengthen the goalposts? Do you know something that we don't? Is so I'd like to hear it. Your assurances, based on what appears to be just a gut feeling, aren't very reassuring to me because my gut isn't saying anything except that it's lunchtime. :cautious:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's a vary curious statement Mojo. What do you base that on? How can it be a non-issue if it's happened before and they've done nothing to strengthen the goalposts? Do you know something that we don't? Is so I'd like to hear it. Your assurances, based on what appears to be just a gut feeling, aren't very reassuring to me because my gut isn't saying anything except that it's lunchtime. :cautious:
I'm hungry too dammit.
What i'm trying to say is that it's happened once right? Jimmy Graham incident. Caused a delay, player safety issue now along with excessive celebration rules blah blah etc...
NBA rims come down because 260 lb men dunk on them nightly, and every now and then they come down....naturally. Thats a part of the game.

NFL goalposts aren't going to start toppling(causing delays and injuries) just because a few players like to pretend to dunk over it on the occasional TD. Thats silly.
Its a matter of architectural structure and more importantly, wear and tear. This rule acts as though multiple players will be climbing on the goal posts after every third down conversion. < I could see goalpost structural integrity being an issue at that point. :LOL:

I'm guessing here...i'd be willing to bet that any one single NFL goal post might get "dunked on" three or four times a season(less in Jacksonville :ROFLMAO:). The J.Graham incident was a fluke. Just don't hang on the goal post.

You see what i'm saying?

Alan

Legend
Yes I do.

On the other hand, planes are the safest mode of travel and accidents rarely happen. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take precautions. Running with scissors in your hands rarely results in injury but try talking my Mom out of lobbying against that practice. ;) The usual argument against initiating safety procedures is the cost benefit analysis. There's no cost related to stopping the practice so why wouldn't you? The thrill of the dunk? :ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind that safety doesn't just deal with injures to living beings, it also deals with protecting property and equipment.

Bottom line is that it costs nothing to prevent a practice that, however rarely, might lead to a huge delay. Preventing players from dunking the ball over the goalposts would in no way minimize my enjoyment of the game. No brainer for me.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes I do.

Bottom line is that it costs nothing to prevent a practice that, however rarely, might lead to a huge delay. Preventing players from dunking the ball over the goalposts would in no way minimize my enjoyment of the game. No brainer for me.
Cool. I enjoy celebration when it doesn't involve taunting and destruction of property. My brain says pass a rule that you cant hang on the goal post.
We disagree...now its time to eat. (y)

Alan

Legend
Too late, I already had a brockworst and dijon mustard sandwich.
images

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Damn no fun league. I hate this petty stuff. I love watching crazy celebrations. Who cares if it looks like taunting? Don't get scored on.

I'm also a believer that generally speaking the greater the number of laws - the more corrupt the government (or governance).