Refs will penalize players who dunk over the goal post

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think you guys are missing the point here. It isn't about getting rid of celebrations or even about selective celebrations. It's about stopping potential long stoppages of play. According to the article "knocked the goal post askew while dunking in Atlanta" has already happened and if you've ever been to a basketball game when the idiot hangs on to the rim and breaks the glass you would understand.

I don't like Goodell either but I've read most of the responses here and I wonder if anybody actually read the whole article.

Just saying.

The article said they are *considering* making the goalposts longer and therefore more top heavy. Which = glass shattering. Which hasn't happened yet. I try to understand the NFL's reasoning on most everything, but I just can't see reasoning over a 1 time occurrence and knee jerking to that.

Alan

Legend
Angry Ram thinking it's only their excuse:
The article said they are *considering* making the goalposts longer and therefore more top heavy. Which = glass shattering. Which hasn't happened yet. I try to understand the NFL's reasoning on most everything, but I just can't see reasoning over a 1 time occurrence and knee jerking to that.
Whether or not they lengthen the goalposts or not, it's still happened once and with players getting bigger and stronger all the time it will probably happen more in the future.

That's only part of the issue here IMO. The posts seemed to be objecting to where the rule modification was coming from that the modification itself.

I'm old school about celebrations. When I first started watching football you just didn't make overt shows of celebrations. Frankly, I liked it that way. It seems to all border on "me" and taunting today. I see this rule change as a positive thing. Who wants to be at a game when it stopped because they have to try and fix the goalposts or align them again. In bad weather. That seems to lost in the dislike of Goodell.

Of course, there are a lot of good reasons to dislike him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
image.jpg

This is what I think of their rule!
Goodell needs to realize sometimes the best thing a commissioner can do is nothing at all.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Remember when he was trying to get a rule started about prohibiting long hair, when did Goddell get replaced with Selig? I expect these type of no fun antics from the MLB, not the NFL. It's funny how the more modern the game gets, the more pragmatic and old school they try to become.

duckhunter

Starter
If they are going to lengthen the uprights, then just raise the cross bar three feet and no one dunks or grabs it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't get it... :(

I'd love to see the classic shuffle one time before I die.... (I'm 23 lol)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, but they would probably consider that using the ball as a "prop", lolz.

I'm thinking that spiking the ball after a TD would technically fall under this same umbrella and could be considered a penalty.......I wonder if they stopped to think about that, or if they even bother to think sometimes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I wish some of you guys could coach ONE season of HS wrestling and see what truly confining officiating is .

And BTW please don't give me the "these are grown men and should be able to act whatever way they please" argument. The older you are the more mature you should be and the higher standard of behavior you aught to be held to, the I'm grown and you aren't the boss of me so I can NOW be an ass when you wouldn't let me when I was a kid meme just tells me some people never quite GOT why they were being taught decorum.

I got zero problem with a rule protecting the game from stoppage because a dummie damaged the goal posts in a self centered celebration.
No Fun League my hairy ass ,the game was plenty of fun before the me generations burst on the scene ,go back to your sideline and celebrate with the rest of the people that made your trip to the end zone happen.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
They going to make it boring like Barry Sanders TD celebration...NONE! Just hand the ball off to the Refs.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
One person ruins it for everyone. If Jimmy could have just toned it down a little and not have damaged the posts in that Atlanta game, which caused a delay in the game to fix them, then this wouldn't even have been in the discussion. Everyone seems to be worried about games getting longer and longer. I don't have an issue with this if it means that it eliminates the possibility of seeing more commercials or a delay because this happens. There is literally someone celebrating after almost every mediocre play in the NFL still today so I don't see how this is preventing anyone from celebrating. Almost every play has someone doing a little dance or staring into the crowd, jumping around with their teammates, etc. This won't hamper guys being able to celebrate on the field.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher: If you want to see a dunk, watch basketball
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2014

mccoydunk.jpg
AP

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair of the NFL Competition Committee, has already heard from fans who oppose the league instituting a 15-yard penalty for players who dunk the ball over the goal post. And Fisher is telling those fans, tough.

“I was going through the airport leaving Orlando yesterday, going through security, and this guy was just wearing me out on the ‘No Fun League.’ Are you kidding me? He’s saying, ‘No Fun League! They should be allowed to dunk!’ And I’m like, ‘Then go to a bar and watch a basketball game. This is football,’” Fisher said on Mike & Mike.

Fisher said that when Saints tight end Jimmy Graham caused the game to be delayed by knocking the goal post off balance on a dunk last season, it became clear that the league had to do something about it.

“We’re concerned, and we had the one instance last year where it took 20-25 minutes to re-set those goal posts,” Fisher said. “It just made sense to just say we’re going to eliminate it.”

Another option would have been only to penalize players if their dunk celebration causes a delay of the game, but the NFL apparently didn’t want to differentiate like that. And so dunking will now be the exclusive domain of the NBA. Mark Cuban no doubt approves.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Whether or not they lengthen the goalposts or not, it's still happened once and with players getting bigger and stronger all the time it will probably happen more in the future.

That's only part of the issue here IMO. The posts seemed to be objecting to where the rule modification was coming from that the modification itself.

I'm old school about celebrations. When I first started watching football you just didn't make overt shows of celebrations. Frankly, I liked it that way. It seems to all border on "me" and taunting today. I see this rule change as a positive thing. Who wants to be at a game when it stopped because they have to try and fix the goalposts or align them again. In bad weather. That seems to lost in the dislike of Goodell.

Of course, there are a lot of good reasons to dislike him.

So am I. When I was a kid I thought what Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson's celebrations were harmless fun. And it was, but it's childish fun. But this is a quick thing and an overreaction to a 1 time thing.

Now I'm talking about dunking. But run toward it and laying it up? What's wrong with that ala Tony Gonzalez?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its being reported that Goodell has another rule change that states that the football will self-destruct within 5 seconds of it crossing the goalline.
He's got his best people working on it already...

Alan

Legend
Angry Ram getting to the details:
Now I'm talking about dunking. But run toward it and laying it up? What's wrong with that ala Tony Gonzalez?
I had/have no difficulty with either of these until I just found out the possible consequences of doing it. I also liked emphatic dunks until I had to sit through my first backboard replacement (we didn't actually sit through it because we eventually left before they finished replacing it). Now that they have actually voted to increase the length of the goalposts it's even more imperative they get this right. Of course they could simply do a better job of constructing the whole apparatus but that's not something I'm knowledgeable about.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I had/have no difficulty with either of these until I just found out the possible consequences of doing it. I also liked emphatic dunks until I had to sit through my first backboard replacement (we didn't actually sit through it because we eventually left before they finished replacing it). Now that they have actually voted to increase the length of the goalposts it's even more imperative they get this right. Of course they could simply do a better job of constructing the whole apparatus but that's not something I'm knowledgeable about.
I have a problem comparing the ease of and continued probability of tearing down backboards vs goalposts.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is obviously much more common and easier to pull off...

...than this is...

Get better welders or dig deeper concrete. I dont see this as being a problem that will arise very often. There's a rule in the NBA that you can't excessively hang on a rim when dunking(for ahem..safety reasons). Makes sense. Same rule could be applied to the NFL. Dunk all you want, just dont HANG ON IT!

This is a no fun league rule.