Redskins Working Out Final Details To Hire Jay Gruden As Next Head Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

[sports.yahoo.com]

Imagine the headlines ... "Redskins hire Gruden as head coach."

And there is much rejoicing in the nation's capital. Until they find out that it's not Jon Gruden, the highly sought after Super Bowl-winning coach turned broadcaster teams lust after every offseason, but his brother Jay instead.

The Washington Post, citing multiple sources, said the deal to make Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden the Redskins' new head coach was close, and was expected to be done on Thursday. The Post said the two sides were working on a contract and only an "unexpected problem" could keep the deal from being completed. The Post also reported that Gruden agreed to be the Redskins' new head coach and told the Bengals he was leaving. The Redskins have a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. Eastern time to announce a new coach.

Although it's not the Gruden who is on the top of every candidate wish list, it still looks like a pretty good hire for the Redskins.

Gruden, who had a very successful career in the Arena Football League has a player and coach and has been with the Bengals since 2011, did wonders with quarterback Andy Dalton (just not in the postseason). Dalton has 11,360 yards and 80 touchdowns in three seasons, pretty good numbers for a quarterback who is universally derided for not having the physical skills to be an elite quarterback.

Now Gruden inherits a quarterback who has one of the NFL's most intriguing skill sets in Robert Griffin III.

Griffin was the NFL's offensive rookie of the year in 2012, blew out his knee in a playoff game at the end of the season and never looked right in 2013, Mike Shanahan's last year as Redskins coach. He hadn't progressed much because of a lost offseason, but the Redskins have to be hopeful that Gruden and his offensive expertise gets Griffin and the offense back on the upward plane it appeared to be on two seasons ago.

The Redskins identified Gruden early and landed their preferred candidate. Recently retired Redskins linebacker London Fletcher could see it coming as well:

Job was Gruden's to lose from the start, keeping some of staff saves Skins $, Allen always knew who he wanted!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Welcome to the last HC gig you'll ever have.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I read Jim Haslett is gonna remain DC. Hahaha.

As for Jay Gruden. This is either gonna be a brilliant move or something that blows up in Dan Snyder's face...again. I'm hoping for the latter.

I'm gonna be curious the next losing streak @ how butthurt RGME gets.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Personally, I think John Gruden is overrated. Never understood the hype he got, especially after running Tampa Bay into the ground. Yes, I know he won the SB with (Tony Dungy's) team, but the more he put his imprint on that team, the worse it got. And I think it was very fortuitous for him that he faced his old team in the SB. It must have been nice to be so familiar with all the personnel and weaknesses, tendencies, line calls, etc.

Not that I'm saying Jay's anything to write home about either. I'm sure Snyder needed someone he thought could come in and "fix" RGIII and Gruden being an offensive coach, who's also eager to have his first HC gig and probably more willing to concede to Snyder's way of doing things...seems like a plausible marriage.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow... it wasn't that long ago that I sat next to Jay and talked shit while we watched ours sons play HS football together. He is really really in love with himself, that I know for certain.

He was the HC of our arena football team here in Orlando. They were very good under his watch. He may be better prepared to make the move to NFL HC than many people might think.

Just for the record, my boy and I aren't big fans of any of the Grudens... to watch him flame out in DC would be very enjoyable for us.

tonyl711

Starter
Danny boy and RGme will destroy his coaching career. from all accounts RGme is a total diva who thinks blaming his teammates and coaches for his bad play is perfectly fine. Shannahan who has coached hall of famers and has extensive HC experience couldn't rien these 2 bozos in, what makes anyone think a first time HC could?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Personally, I think John Gruden is overrated. Never understood the hype he got, especially after running Tampa Bay into the ground. Yes, I know he won the SB with (Tony Dungy's) team, but the more he put his imprint on that team, the worse it got. And I think it was very fortuitous for him that he faced his old team in the SB. It must have been nice to be so familiar with all the personnel and weaknesses, tendencies, line calls, etc.

Not that I'm saying Jay's anything to write home about either. I'm sure Snyder needed someone he thought could come in and "fix" RGIII and Gruden being an offensive coach, who's also eager to have his first HC gig and probably more willing to concede to Snyder's way of doing things...seems like a plausible marriage.
While some may say he won it with Dungy's team, he beat "his team" so to say he wasn't of an ilk to build a SB caliber team is just not correct.
But for the "tuck rule" IMO his team would have been in the SB against us.
Grudens big problem was the QB position,never found "the guy",in Tampa further I think Gruden should not be blamed for not having the two first round picks the Glazers surrendered to keep from being charged with tampering when they hired him away from Oakland.
I'm not a Chucky doll fan on a personal level , but he's one talented driven dude and I "get" why he's a hot HC commodity

RFIP

Sorry on my moble so can't paste article.

Anyhow, wonder who they will select with their first round pick?

Oh wait.....lol!

Alan

Legend
Like X, I don't see this as something good for his career. I'm thinking he's gonna regret this sooner than later. :slap:

Last edited by a moderator:
First move knock RGIII down to earth, if that means starting Cousins for a few games then so be it. Of cause he'll get sacked for that but still.

It's a good problem not to have.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Washington has been a coaching graveyard under Snyder. I don't see this changing with Daniel and BobG calling the shots.

Ram_of_Old

He signs a five year contract when everyone knows he will not be there more than three years. By then Snyder will be dragging the kid around by the nose and make more of his patented bone head decisions.

Ram_of_Old

First move knock RGIII down to earth, if that means starting Cousins for a few games then so be it. Of cause he'll get sacked for that but still.

It's a good problem not to have.

It would be hilarious if Gruden benches RGme for Cousins. After Danny Boy has spent all the money and draft picks on Mister Me....:lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree. I think Jon is overrated. Jay was a good candidate. We'll see how he does. This makes me laugh though:

Wow... it wasn't that long ago that I sat next to Jay and talked shyte while we watched ours sons play HS football together. He is really really in love with himself, that I know for certain.

He was the HC of our arena football team here in Orlando. They were very good under his watch. He may be better prepared to make the move to NFL HC than many people might think.

Just for the record, my boy and I aren't big fans of any of the Grudens... to watch him flame out in DC would be very enjoyable for us.

He was also a HC of a UFL team, I think. It'll be interesting to see how he does. Keeping Haslett is strike #1.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
NFL Network had a poll asking if it was a good move .
IMO ,it was a full throttle plunge into the exact thing that made Shanahan /RG incompatible, Snyder doubling down on a bad bet ,but IF Gruden did get a five year deal ,hell I'd take that ,first thing I'd do is hold offensive meetings and have the first guy who interrupted running bleachers, lay down the rules from the start