Redskins prepared to part with two 1st round picks and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
football-insider-banner.png

By Mike Jones
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ll-insider

The Washington Redskins are prepared to part with two first-round draft picks, plus other selections in the early and middle rounds, to secure the St. Louis Rams’ No. 2 pick in April’s draft and land Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

The Rams are said to be seeking compensation similar to what the San Diego Chargers received from the New York Giants in exchange for Eli Manning in 2004. That year, the Chargers drafted Manning first overall. The Giants sent their fourth overall pick, the following year’s first-round pick, and their 2004 third- and fifth-round picks to San Diego for the quarterback who has since led New York to two Super Bowl victories.

Quarterback Robert Griffin III of Baylor runs the 40-yard dash during the 2012 NFL Combine. (Joe Robbins/Getty Images)With Sam Bradford as their franchise quarterback, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead indicated at the NFL Combine last week that their team is prepared to part with the second overall pick. That trade would allow them to address multiple needs with the picks they could receive in return.

The Redskins, according to people familiar with their thinking, are willing to trade this year’s sixth overall pick and next year’s top pick – as well as two others in the range demanded by St. Louis.

The Redskins believe Griffin, who last fall won the Heisman Trophy after passing for 4,293 yards, 37 touchdowns and only six interceptions while leading Baylor to a 10-3 record, is worth that price. Griffin ran a 4.41 40-yard dash at the combine Sunday.

But Washington faces competition from the Cleveland Browns, who own two first-round picks --the fourth and 22nd overall -- in this year’s draft, and Miami, which picks eighth this year.

Because of the new CBA, which has established a rookie wage system and lowers the financial investment a team in a high pick, the Rams’ pick is highly coveted, and teams are more willing to make such moves than in years past.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and Fisher are close friends. That relationship could be a factor. But an offer from the Browns of two first-round picks in this year’s draft plus other picks could be hard for St. Louis to pass up.

If Washington isn’t successful in moving up to the No. 2 overall spot, league sources believe they could select Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Some believe they would be inclined to use the sixth pick on him rather than trade down and try to get him later in the first round or in the second round.

Miami also is expected to have interest in Tannehill. The Dolphins just hired Mike Sherman – Tannehill’s head coach at Texas A&M – as their offensive coordinator.

Given the difficulty of finding a franchise quarterback, a thin QB crop in this year’s draft, and the example of the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings, who last season were willing to snatch Jake Locker and Christian Ponder, respectively, at spots that were higher than projected, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Washington spend the sixth pick on Tannehill rather than wait to see if he remains later in the draft, some in the league say.

Regardless of whether the Redskins select a rookie quarterback in the draft, the team is expected to pursue a veteran as well. Indianapolis Colts’ quarterback Peyton Manning, whose future remains up in the air, and Kansas City Chiefs passer Kyle Orton, who is set to hit the free agent market on March 13, have been identified as possible targets for Washington, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Re: Redskins prepared to part with two 1st round picks and m

Trade with Browns get 2 1st a second this year and a second next and we still get Justin or Kalil I think everyone will agree on that

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Im gonna be fine with whoever we trade with. Yes me way lose out on Blackmon sitting at #6 but there would still be other options.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JdashSTL said:
Im gonna be fine with whoever we trade with. Yes me way lose out on Blackmon sitting at #6 but there would still be other options.
I don't remember how you voted. Who would you take if the Rams stayed pat at #2?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
JdashSTL said:
I don't remember how you voted. Who would you take if the Rams stayed pat at #2?

I think I said Blackmon lol. It was a really tough call. I thought it would be between him and Kalil, and would have had no problem with Kalil. Im pretty stoked about all these trade talks now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

JdashSTL said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

I think I said Blackmon lol. It was a really tough call. I thought it would be between him and Kalil, and would have had no problem with Kalil. Im pretty stoked about all these trade talks now.
Yeah, it is pretty cool. Just seems like this is the first stage in a reversal of fortunes for this team. All others years it was nearly impossible to get decent trade value from a high pick like this, and now we're hearing rumors of ridiculous offers.

As far as who I would have taken, it was probably going to be Richardson, and then hopefully a guy like Sanu at the top of the 2nd. But with a trade, I can probably get a better WR, a really good DT, and who knows at the top of the 2nd (maybe trade that one too).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
As far as who I would have taken, it was probably going to be Richardson, and then hopefully a guy like Sanu at the top of the 2nd. But with a trade, I can probably get a better WR, a really good DT, and who knows at the top of the 2nd (maybe trade that one too).

That is exactly what I was thinking. I realize that popular sentiment these days is that you don't take a RB that high but I'm sorry, I really think Richardson is going to be a stud. And let him learn the ropes under SJ? Fuhgettaboutit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

yeah well then call me crazy too. I wanted ingram last year. I like smashmouth football. that's the 1 thing about fishers philosophy that I can really wrap my head around.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
yeah well then call me crazy too. I wanted ingram last year. I like smashmouth football. that's the 1 thing about fishers philosophy that I can really wrap my head around.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yeah - I think we were about the only ones clamoring for Ingram.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
JdashSTL said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

Yeah, it is pretty cool. Just seems like this is the first stage in a reversal of fortunes for this team. All others years it was nearly impossible to get decent trade value from a high pick like this, and now we're hearing rumors of ridiculous offers.

Its really starting to hit me knowing just how good of a position were in. What if Barkley didnt go back to school? How does the draft look now? Its amazing to think about that. I can remember Mike Lombardi saying a while back that he promises RG III will go #2, I thought it was a crazy thing to say because IF there was the slight chance that doesnt happen he should get blasted for saying it. Now im sitting here looking at the different different trade scenarios and enjoying every bit of it, and its not even March yet!