Redskins may regret drafting Sherff over Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Scherff over Williams is a real head scratcher to me.

Seems like a classic need over value pick.

Think about it...

Scherff is considered doubtful as a starting RT, much less LT. Most project him as an OG. A very good OG, of course, but at #FIVE overall?

In last year's draft he would have been ranked maybe 5th best OL? Waaaay behind Zach Martin.

Know what I think? I think the Redskins fell in love with Scherff and made a critical mistake. A mistake that they will probably regret for the next 10+ years.

In contrast, the Rams took BPA over need with Gurley. And we're gonna enjoy seeing him in playoffs and Pro Bowls for the next 7-10 years.

Drafting 101 dictates that you take elite type BPA with your 1st rounders. Teams break this rule at their peril. GM's who break this rule put their careers on the line.

Next time, I'm not gonna hold back. Lol.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
A problem I envision is where are you going to sneak Williams in. He's a situational player in NY right now. Wilkerson and Richardson aren't moving, and Williams ain't playing NT. Sure they could play some 4 man fronts, but none of those guys look like edge rushers.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Personally I wanted Sherff, but after watching countless Gurley highlight films I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Now, we obviously need Todd to comeback 100% and the OL picks to be what we hope they will; but no looking back now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A problem I envision is where are you going to sneak Williams in. He's a situational player in NY right now. Wilkerson and Richardson aren't moving, and Williams ain't playing NT. Sure they could play some 4 man fronts, but none of those guys look like edge rushers.

Isn't Wilkerson entering the final year of his contract?

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, the Redskins may regret taken Scherff over a few players. Others disagree, but to select a non LT OLineman with a top ten selection is a HUGE draft boo boo, IMO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
For better or for worse teams draft who they like. Many including myself have scratched their head at our draft yet they are the players they wanted and we are excited about that. So I can't see criticizing Washington for doing the same before a snap is played.

I know I've said this before but these "too high for RT, OG" statements make me laugh. As if having a 5th overall pick at LT means anything in the real world if your RT gets blown out every pass play. And every draft OG and C is undervalued. Then of course when the rubber hits the road in the season fans and analysts whine about poor interior play from their 6th round center. Quickest way to fix a team is upfront in the OL IMO. It allows you to control your fate somewhat and keep the D fresh.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For better or for worse teams draft who they like. Many including myself have scratched their head at our draft yet they are the players they wanted and we are excited about that. So I can't see criticizing Washington for doing the same before a snap is played.

I know I've said this before but these "too high for RT, OG" statements make me laugh. As if having a 5th overall pick at LT means anything in the real world if your RT gets blown out every pass play. And every draft OG and C is undervalued. Then of course when the rubber hits the road in the season fans and analysts whine about poor interior play from their 6th round center. Quickest way to fix a team is upfront in the OL IMO. It allows you to control your fate somewhat and keep the D fresh.

It's much better to get a star guard at #5, than to get a routine player at another position. I understand that drafting some positions in the top ten can mean that the 5th year option would be too expensive relative to what players get on the open market - but if they are really good, you would want to sign them to a long term contract anyway.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Leonard Williams is more talented than all of the defensive ends of the Redskins combined. Stephen Paea, Jason Hatcher, Frank Kearse, Ricky Jean-Francois? None of them would inspire the same fear that Williams would. Instead, they drafted Scherff who won't be able to stick at right tackle.

The thing that makes it even worse is that they already have Morgan Moses, whom they literally drafted to be a right tackle of the future, who was considered a high-second round pick in his class whom they practically stole in the third. Is Scherff going to beat out the highly-paid Lauvuo or Chester? I don't think so.

They wasted that pick, and they have absolutely no clue how to build a roster if they think that DeAngelo Hall and Chris Culliver are better options than Amerson or Breeland, that Leonard Williams wouldn't have been a better option than any of the ends that they currently have.