Redskins may regret drafting Sherff over Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ret-drafting-brandon-scherff-leonard-williams

Any analysis of the Washington Redskins' draft would be incomplete without also examining their first-round gamble. With defensive lineman Leonard Williams available, the Redskins selected offensive lineman Brandon Scherfffifth overall, believing they added a cornerstone right tackle. They had better be right.

By passing on Williams, a chic pick among analysts as the best player in the class, the Redskins potentially opened themselves up to they-bungled-the-draft-again criticism. The Redskins not only need Scherff to become a tone-setter as a rookie, they're also counting on him to help revive quarterback Robert Griffin III's moribund career and redefine the image of a once-successful franchise that has become a laughingstock as much for infighting as ineptitude on the field. As if all that weren't enough, Scherff, who may be better suited to play guard, is now linked with Williams. Their careers could serve as a referendum on whether new Washington general manager Scot McCloughan shined or flopped in his first big test.

New York Giants would have picked him ninth). And right tackle has long been a weakness for Washington, which is undergoing an image makeover under McCloughan, who plans to build a big, tough roster like those he helped construct for the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks.

That established, McCloughan's move provided the draft's first eyebrow-raiser. Picking one spot behind the Redskins, the New York Jets quickly chose Williams, the difference-maker from USC who has the look of a perennial All-Pro.

Wisely, Scherff hasn't looked backward. He's smart enough to realize nothing good could come from fueling the debate. He'll gladly leave that for others.

"Just gotta come in and do what you can," Scherff said matter-of-factly Saturday during rookie minicamp at Redskins Park. "Whatever they ask me to do, I'm gonna do."

That's a positive approach. But a cynic could argue that Redskins management, desperate to justify its enormous investment in Griffin, passed on potentially the draft's top player to take one who could help Griffin the most.

Here's something about which there's no debate: After consecutive poor seasons, Griffin must get his head back in the game, and the offensive line is better with Scherff.

Trent Williams. Talent evaluators say he's also a fierce run blocker who possesses the combination of character and drive that McCloughan seeks in players. As long as Griffin is Washington's starter, the team must rely on its running game, two Redskins coaches told me last season. Clearly, Scherff fits McCloughan's vision of the new-look Redskins.

There are questions, however, about whether Scherff can pass protect well enough to play tackle in the NFL. Scherff's arm length -- a key in evaluating a lineman's ability to block edge rushers -- is a little shorter than most teams would prefer, which the Redskins acknowledge.

A guard early in his college career, Scherff mostly has played left tackle. Washington head coach Jay Gruden expects Scherff "to take some lumps" moving from the left side to the right. "But the good thing about Brandon," Gruden continued, "is he's a very focused individual. He studies very hard, he takes coaching extremely well. ... He's going to continue to get better."

The thing is, in the court of public opinion, it won't be good enough for Scherff to merely be solid if Leonard Williams is spectacular.

No NFL decision-maker worth his salt would pick a player projected as a right tackle over a disruptive defensive lineman expected to emerge as a dominant pass-rusher. For Washington, the worst-case scenario would be if Williams becomes a monster and Scherff ultimately moves inside because he struggles against the rush. As two-time Super Bowl winner Mike Shanahan will tell you, teams win championships with great tackles, not guards.

Reportedly, the Redskins had Scherff rated higher than Williams. Revealing their concerns about Williams would provide fodder for interesting post-draft conversations, but it really doesn't matter.

If general managers were always correct in their assessment of players, there wouldn't be so much front-office turnover. Remember, many people thought Ryan Leaf would be a superstar. They're all just opinions.

Although McCloughan's record is better than most, he has had clunker drafts, too. McCloughan's predecessor, team president Bruce Allen, had an awful 28-52 mark in five full seasons as general manager. It's hard to imagine McCloughan would fare as poorly. How could he?

Out of the gate, though, McCloughan may have made a career-defining choice in picking Scherff over Williams. The Redskins know it.

"Where you draft a guy, [and] who you draft him in front of, none of that matters at this point," Gruden said. "All that matters is that they're on our team."

In Scherff, the Redskins got the guy they wanted for their team. We'll soon find out if he was the one they needed.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Redskins screwed up a first round draft pick. Nothing new here. They should've given it to us instead; I'm sure we could've made better use of it.

Alan

Legend
I'm not convinced that Scherff isn't an OG. I don't know if Williams will be better player or not but I'm glad they took him because if Scherff had been available at #9 then I agree that the Giants would have taken him. That would have left Flowers available for us and that thought really scares me. As much as I disliked picking Gurley, Flowers would have been much worse.

That statement by me pretty much guarantees Flowers will be a perennial PB player so he should thank me. :LOL:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hopefully the player they'll hate themselves for not picking will be Gurley. Crossin my fingers.

But back to Scherff... They took him too early, but I will not say it's a bad pick because he'll instantly solidify them at one spot. He was extremely valuable IMO but just not valuable enough for 5 overall. I think he'll be one of the Skins better first round picks, not saying much I realize but still...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Won't be long before Scherff is a fan favorite they're trying to bring back the Hogs and Scherff will remind the Redskin faithful of Russ Grimm.

IMO Scherff will be an all-pro before Williams.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
What a pathetic organization the redskins are. Little Danny Snyder makes Jerry Jones look like Robert Kraft. They make dumb move after dumb move every year. That trade y'all made with them? Lmao. The Rams should have gone to prison for rape. And for RG3? He's a bust. I think it's fucking hilarious that Fisher trolled the foreskins by trotting out the 6 players y'all got via that trade for the coin toss (right?). Their obsession with the Cowboys is past therapy. The once great rivalry has been dead for awhile, because they've been so bad for so long. Fuck the redskins. Ok, end rant. Thanks for reading. Boobs.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I don't think Scherff is going to be very good but I don't really think Williams is going to set the NFL on fire either.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
What a pathetic organization the redskins are. Little Danny Snyder makes Jerry Jones look like Robert Kraft. They make dumb move after dumb move every year. That trade y'all made with them? Lmao. The Rams should have gone to prison for rape. And for RG3? He's a bust. I think it's freaking hilarious that Fisher trolled the foreskins by trotting out the 6 players y'all got via that trade for the coin toss (right?). Their obsession with the Cowboys is past therapy. The once great rivalry has been dead for awhile, because they've been so bad for so long. freak the redskins. Ok, end rant. Thanks for reading. Boobs.

Ha ha. Confirm on the coin toss. Good to have you around, Rynie.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What a pathetic organization the redskins are. Little Danny Snyder makes Jerry Jones look like Robert Kraft. They make dumb move after dumb move every year. That trade y'all made with them? Lmao. The Rams should have gone to prison for rape. And for RG3? He's a bust. I think it's freaking hilarious that Fisher trolled the foreskins by trotting out the 6 players y'all got via that trade for the coin toss (right?). Their obsession with the Cowboys is past therapy. The once great rivalry has been dead for awhile, because they've been so bad for so long. freak the redskins. Ok, end rant. Thanks for reading. Boobs.
Heh.

You're alright, Archer.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
By passing on Williams, a chic pick among analysts as the best player in the class

Cant believe I'm about to defend the freaking Redskins.

Teams don't give a shit about what analysts think the best players are.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they made the right pick if fixing RGIII was the main priority.

Given that the standard way to fix an NFL team is to fix the defense first. However Washington made a laughably, enormous investment in RGIII. Doing everything in their power to make that workout does not seem like such a bad priority to me.

I have read enough about scouts opinions on Williams to believe that he may not have been as highly regarded by every team. Greg Cosell did not give Williams a great review, saying he plays too high and let's linemen get their hands on him too soon.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Looks like you channeled Angry Ram's spirit there for a while.

I love that we got a few guys around here that like other teams, if only for the rants about rivals I get to see from time to time. They're fucking hilarious.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Seriously. The redskins are such a joke. Their obsession with the Cowboys is crazy. We draft Ware, they get Orakpo. We get a huge TV in our stadium, they put a large screen in their stadium. We draft OL, they draft OL. Now, they're in the works of getting a new stadium, and I'll bet anyone here $1,000,000 little fanny Snyder puts an even bigger screen, than the jerry-tron. He's like the little brother nobody will let play with them.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/snyder-redskins-have-started-process-planning-new-stadium

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just to add me 12 cents, Scherff is a guard, probably a high quality one at that...don't see tackle skills other than movement...Williams lacks strength...but also is a fierce player...I think Washington's defense coulda used him more...
That would have left Flowers available for us and that thought really scares me. As much as I disliked picking Gurley, Flowers would have been much worse.
Flowers was my #1 player Alan...and that guarantees the HOF