Redskins give Jay Gruden two-year extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Florio has a problem with the Skins organization due to the fact that Daniel Snyder refuses to change the team's name, thus snarky articles like this. It could be just that Snyder feels like Gruden is doing a decent job and deserves another shot at coaching the team, so he gave him two more years to prove himself.

Btw "this marks the first time Redskins owner Dan Snyder has extended a head coach since he bought the team in 1999. In fact, no head coach has lasted more than four years under Snyder. He has had seven head coaches and one interim coach during his tenure."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18827226/washington-redskins-extend-head-coach-jay-gruden
***********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/05/washington-gives-jay-gruden-two-year-extension/

Washington gives Jay Gruden two-year extension
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2017

630774588-e1488695515911.jpg
Getty Images

It’s the year of Bright, Shiny Objects in the nation’s capital, and the local NFL team has whipped one out in an effort to lessen the perception that the franchise is in total disarray.

Per multiple reports, Washington has given coach Jay Gruden a two-year extension. The new deal puts him under contract through 2020. Previously, Gruden had a commitment through 2018.

The timing reeks of an effort to change the narrative, especially since (as Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports) the agreement was reached on Saturday night at Prime 47 in Indianapolis, where plenty of elbow-bending has been happening on each and every evening of the Underwear Olympics.

If true, it seems even more like a desperate effort to alter the league-wide perception of the organization — especially since a deal of that magnitude isn’t truly done until it’s reduced to writing and signed by both parties.

Ultimately, the final version could be meaningless, with Gruden possibly having no guaranteed payments beyond 2018. If that’s what happen, why would he agree to it? Because news of it helps to stabilize a bad situation only a few days before free agency.

While the notion that agents will actively steer their clients away from Washington is a bit overblown, it would have (and still could) cost more to get a guy to sign with Washington than with another team. Already, PFT has heard that some free-agent receivers want to know what the quarterback situation will be for 2017 and beyond before committing to a contract there.

The coaching situation for 2017 and beyond will be Jay Gruden in charge. How far beyond 2017 doesn’t really matter; as blood-alcohol concentrations rose on Saturday night, the team turned a garden hose on a brush fire by shaking hands on a new contract that ultimately may be worth not much more than the paper it currently isn’t written on.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You think the Rams have a few former Redskin assistants now, just wait until next year when they all come available....All kidding aside IMO, Gruden done a great job in Washington, but I am sure it's playoffs or bust this year and if the Skins slide and the Rams play well I gurantee Gruden will be out, but not for long because I believe Marvin Lewis will be out in Cincinnati and Gruden could head there.

As to the name change Snyder should just do it, but he believes the Fans and actually other organizations are fine with the name, but when it comes down to it, just change the name to the Bravehearts and all will be forgiven.

washington-bravehearts-750x.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good for Jay, as he's done a great job there. Kind of feel sorry for him though, as I think they might be in for a rough year with all the losses in the staff and incoming at FA, but he's done a great job and deserves it.

As to the name change I agree with @den-the-coach. Not on the name "Bravehearts" but on the need to change the name and turn it into a positive. Lot of ways Snyder could go on it. He could use one of many bad@$$ american indian terms that conjure the right attitude, or he could go with something radically different.

I'm not a touchy feely type of guy with this kind of stuff, but in this case I have a lot of respect for the native peoples and this thing isn't going to go away so why not get ahead of it.