Recommended movies/reading/music

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I work at a college and one thing that happens on a daily basis is that I reference something awesome and that reference goes unnoticed. I'd like to put a Required list on my office wall to help remedy these young folks minds. Anyone got any suggestions? I have a feeling this is going to be a huge list.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It blows me away how many young people don't know Mel Brooks movies.

I show them to my kid's friends and they are amazed. They wonder why this stuff is hidden...

Original Otis Redding recordings...

Classic Frank Sinatra...

Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke books not because they were sci-if writers, but because they used that genre to discuss just about everything from religion to politics, sociology to technology and everything in between.

And that's just off the top of my head

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I show them to my kid's friends and they are amazed. They wonder why this stuff is hidden...

Classic Frank Sinatra...

Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke books not because they were sci-if writers, but because they used that genre to discuss just about everything from religion to politics, sociology to technology and everything in between.

I definitely like Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part I (Nice Avatar by the way), Spaceballs, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Blazing Saddles.

Is it bad that the only Otis Redding song I can think of is Sitting on the Dock of the Bay and the song the Black Crows covered?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Classic Frank Sinatra...

Phillip Jose Farmer too..........he was great at having political/religious/societal undercurrent in his books. Riverworld, the series, is my second favorite to the O'Brien series with Aubrey and Maturin. And it's close trust me.

As far as music I'll add one we both like and have discussed. It's nearly dead and only heard on "oldies" radio stations yet it was as influential to "modern" music as anything. Motown.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Motown, no doubt, but that's too broad.

To talk to an individual, I'd say, "you really need to listen to early Smokey Robinson"

The Supremes would work, too.

There was just so much great stuff that to just point a person at Hitsville, USA, well... You might as well just say, "blues...go" LOL

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm all for helping out the kids learn the difference between something completely badass and something utterly lame

Television Series / Movies

The Sweeney

(original UK series)
Buy the box set - the best thing ever created by man

Reading /

Any Poetry by Kipling

Music /

Sandanista / the Clash
Just such a must have for any young mind, here the best band in the world explore all avenues of music

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytet383rZEQ

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEuAtWCOnc

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXwmH_HshY

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Anything that makes them question before they become totally inculcated...

Could be anything, really, just something that makes them question their status quo.

Too few today ever question the air in their own bubble, forget travel to foreign lands...

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
monty python.
johnny cash
clint eastwood westerns
classical music
blues (bb king, albert, stevie ray)
bugs bunny cartoons
sex pistols, ramones
nikola tesla

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'd only add The Clash after the Ramones, but it's almost scary how every one of those was in my mind for a second post...

I remember hearing "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" As this kid raised in blues, R&B, Soul, and Funk with dashes of Folk, Classical, World and Standards...

And Punk music just lit my hair on fire.

I didn't want to BE punk, but I liked lots of the music.

Quick story. I shaved my head after 11th grade. I joined the Sea Cadets (until I realized I had to pay for my own uniforms out of my own pocket. They were expensive and I was saving for a very expensive racing/touring bike, a Bob Jackson 753 with 753 fork and full Shimano 600. On my budget, that was like getting an Audi on layaway.) I quit the Sea Cadets, but they kept the hair, lol. I worked at the old Brentwood Theater on Wilshire and 26th in Santa Monica in Santa Monica where we showed art films and had real butter on the popcorn. I paid for everything myself, which is how I ended up with a shaved head and black low top Doc Maarten knock offs walking home up Wilshire Blvd past a club that catered to punk bands called Madame Wongs West. Now, if I had my hair and was all geeked walking by in some nice clothes, I'm certain someone there would have kicked my ass. But, I looked like them except for the tats and I'd just stand outside and dig the music for half hour or maybe longer until I felt like leaving. I walked by enough that the regulars recognized me as someone who worked a ton for crap wages. The fact that I was walking home, unafraid at 1am showed I wasnt a sheltered kid from North SaMo. No one bothered me and I got to hear some really good music.

I later heard that they used to beat up lots of folks walking by the club and it was dangerous. Guess they liked me.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Movies - Cool Hand Luke, Tombstone, Braveheart, Gladiator, Godfather I and II, The Sons of Katie Elder, Office Space, Fight Club (incoming college freshmen were 2 when this movie was released)

Music - Jim Croce, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix (just thinking of dead guys and gals)

Books - Slaughter House Five, Breakfast of Champions (my favorite Vonnegut book), Catcher in the Rye
Seems like book lists in high schools vastly differ from when I was in high school.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Art:
Norman Rockwell (his paintings have so much character).
Art in general...more people need to visit art museums.

Reading:
Flowers in the Attic series.
The Neverending Story (nerd alert)
The Glass Castle
Memoirs of any person they find interesting

Music:
House music. Dance music with funk/soul. All this current "rave" music sounds cheesy as hell.
Drum and Bass...just because it's awesome.
80's and 90's Hip-Hop (not rap). When lyrical content was most important, not the beat and some catchy hook. A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, De La soul, Lords of the Underground, Wu-Tang, Nas (illmatic is the best album EVER), Mobb Deep, Gangstarr (RIP Guru), etc.
Classical music. Seriously.
90's (and older) Country music. This current pop-country is retarded.

Movies:
Christopher Guest movies (This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A mighty Wind). I love these mocumentaries. Eugene Levy and Christopher Guest are great.
Mel Brooks (like someone earlier mentioned).
Airplane (my GF even has never seen it).

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
90's Hip-Hop
Most fun music genre

----------------
Also Christopher Guest fans, check out Family Tree. It was a 10 episode HBO special. Unfortunately, it didn't get picked up for a second season. It stars Chris O'Dowd - from IT Crowd.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
GREAT topic. Let's keep it going!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa

GoDown_zps6apugu9h.jpg

f4449616e18127542ce4b5534585068d30a10201.JPG

MFaulk107

The Realness
Please please watch the live concert Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads. It's a fckin gem! You wont be dissapointed. Oh and so is the studio album Speaking In Tongue.
A Few Good Men
The Hunted
Lazy and Child in Time by Deep Purple
The first Jedi Mind Tricks album called "The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness" is another hidden gem. Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind(the producer of there beats) contain heavy sampling and some of the most unique beats to ever graze music.
That's all I can think of from the dome.

Really though, check out Stop Making Sense.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beatles: Revolver, nuff said.
Steven King: It, Couldn't put it down back in the day.
This property condemned: Was panned when it first came out. But it is raw,gritty, and real.