Reason why madden sucks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Hahaha! thats fucking hilarious. Well its not that much different than real life with the fucked up calls :ROFLMAO:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Want a good rant on Madden?

From about 2:10 to 8:40, there is a precision strike all over Madden, comparing Madden 25 on Xbox One and PS4 to All Pro Football 2K8 for the PS3, and how that game was actually better 6 years ago in quite a few respects than the current gen Madden product.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Want a good rant on Madden?

From about 2:10 to 8:40, there is a precision strike all over Madden, comparing Madden 25 on Xbox One and PS4 to All Pro Football 2K8 for the PS3, and how that game was actually better 6 years ago in quite a few respects than the current gen Madden product.

Deadly accurate. Why I haven't bought Madden in years. It's garbage. I wish I was a brilliant video game programmer so I could actually program a football game worth a shit.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Deadly accurate. Why I haven't bought Madden in years. It's garbage. I wish I was a brilliant video game programmer so I could actually program a football game worth a crap.
One thing the video didn't touch on, but was in NFL 2K5 and still not in modern Madden games... ability to challenge specific aspects of a play.

Take this scenario: You're on defense, 3rd and 10 at the opponent's 20. Opponent makes a pass, completes it and goes out of bounds at the 29. But they give him a bad spot and the first down. You challenge.

The response: "The ruling on the field stands. The receiver had possession of the ball before going out of bounds." Makes me want to scream in frustration, since I was in total agreement with THAT. That wasn't what I was arguing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing the video didn't touch on, but was in NFL 2K5 and still not in modern Madden games... ability to challenge specific aspects of a play.

Take this scenario: You're on defense, 3rd and 10 at the opponent's 20. Opponent makes a pass, completes it and goes out of bounds at the 29. But they give him a bad spot and the first down. You challenge.

The response: "The ruling on the field stands. The receiver had possession of the ball before going out of bounds." Makes me want to scream in frustration, since I was in total agreement with THAT. That wasn't what I was arguing.

I also loved 2k5's weekly videos for franchise mode.

2k just makes a much better game than EA. Really sucks the NFL won't give 2k the rights. If you've played EA's NBA game and compared it to 2k's, 2k embarrassed EA in almost every aspect. They're just a lot more capable...or less lazy.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I also loved 2k5's weekly videos for franchise mode.

2k just makes a much better game than EA. Really sucks the NFL won't give 2k the rights. If you've played EA's NBA game and compared it to 2k's, 2k embarrassed EA in almost every aspect. They're just a lot more capable...or less lazy.
There was room for improvement, like it seemed every week on the recap show, some division could "form their own MASH unit" from all the injuries, or someone got signed for "CRAZY money".

But yeah... had the NFL not gone exclusive, we'd be getting much better games now. At least EA put in a roster download feature so you aren't necessarily stuck with old rosters if you don't get the new Madden ever year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well you used to be able to challenge any play and now it's only when the computer deems it necessary. I consider myself a decent madden player. I rank in the top 25%. But franchise mode is ridiculously fucking hard. I'm in my second season and AUSTIN FUCKING DAVIS plays for the cardinals now. You wanna hear some shit? His season stats before I played him in week 12 were 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Pretty Austin Davis like right? Hah, his stats against me? 31/33 334 yards 3 touchdowns and 1 pick. THIRTY ONE OUT OF THIRTY THREE PASSES COMPLETED!!!! I mean cmon Madden what the fuck.

Athos

Legend
Madden is trash. I got Madden 13 for shits and giggles for 5 bucks at gamestop.

Total waste. What a shit game, especially with no real Franchise mode. And the game actually looks worse visually than Madden 11 did.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
We used to have so much fun playing Madden. Me and my roommates would all run a few franchises and throw down against each other. This was when you had to account for player morale, stadium upgrades and could upgrade players in training camp. Not sure when they decided that these things weren't worth their time to incorporate, but I think it coincides with Ultimate Team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I picked up Madden 15 for shits and giggles, started a franchise in owner mode, went broke because its broken as shit and unrealistic. Then started in be a pro mode as an undrafted QB, never played a snap including preseason but was better than Bradford the next year. Took over and spent two years as the starter, as the GM gutted the o-line, receivers, defense, everything. They would never draft well, never get good players in free agency, it was frustrating. They franchise tagged me for a year, I left the next to the Chargers in FA. Ended up 11-5 in my first season, and the Chargers announced they're moving (where to, I don't know)...

Lots of stupid things with the game (my TE had 289 yards receiving and 3 TDs in a game, the next week the announcers talked about how he was invisible the week before) that make it annoying. I hate when the defense folds, so you Sim to your player and your defense lets the other team drive down and score every time. It's a time waster though, better than NHL 15, which is just because NHL 15 is so broken this year its essentially unplayable.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Update: we moved to Houston and became the Oilers. Yes, Madden thinks Houston needs two teams. Buffalo has also moved, to Orlando, and the Rams to London. This game is stupid.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Update: we moved to Houston and became the Oilers. Yes, Madden thinks Houston needs two teams. Buffalo has also moved, to Orlando, and the Rams to London. This game is stupid.
I had a Rams team move to London against my will... they were set to become the London Black Knights.

Any injuries will be dismissed as flesh wounds.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
But realistically, Madden sucks because it's published by a shitty company (EatAss) who has zero knowledge of how to develop a game but know it's profitable because ignorant consumers insist on letting them do their shitty business practices.. For $60, you get... NEW ROSTER!!!!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
But realistically, Madden sucks because it's published by a crappy company (EatAss) who has zero knowledge of how to develop a game but know it's profitable because ignorant consumers insist on letting them do their crappy business practices.. For $60, you get... NEW ROSTER!!!!
To be fair, you can get the roster updates for free now... it's just you can't get updated schedules, rule changes, coach changes, and (if/when it happens) relocation (especially since you can't relocate any team in game without changing their look and name to a very generic one).

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
There is no other product like it. EA's Madden NFL game has an amazing ability to actually suck worse each and every release for over a decade. The Favre cover, which is 09 I think, was the last one I purchased and that was hanging on over 5 years too long.

It really sucks too because I (we) so long for a good NFL video game. The pinnacle of the product was when they had to compete and stole ideas such as QB vision from the ESPN version. That was around 15 years ago. Since EA buried all the competiton with exclusive NFL rights, the game has gone down the crapper worse each and every year.

It's a damn compelling case study for why monopolies are against the law actually.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
There is no other product like it. EA's Madden NFL game has an amazing ability to actually suck worse each and every release for over a decade. The Favre cover, which is 09 I think, was the last one I purchased and that was hanging on over 5 years too long.

It really sucks too because I (we) so long for a good NFL video game. The pinnacle of the product was when they had to compete and stole ideas such as QB vision from the ESPN version. That was around 15 years ago. Since EA buried all the competiton with exclusive NFL rights, the game has gone down the crapper worse each and every year.

It's a damn compelling case study for why monopolies are against the law actually.
It was the NFL who insisted on going to an exclusive licensee model (which almost every other licensed property in video games has). If EA didn't win the exclusive rights, 2K or someone else would have. So EA is not to blame the the exclusivity. And just like every other exclusive license, it's not a monopoly, but I can see the similarities to one.

As an aside, I'm also still miffed about them not having Pro Bowl teams with correct helmets. They could do it back in PS2 but claim they can't here.