Reason for optimism regarding our new OL picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
At first I was underwhelmed by our OL picks. In truth, it was probably mostly because they were not the big name "fan favorites" that I had been constantly seen mocked and/or been reading about.

But the more I've learned, the better I like these kids.

Plus, S&F (see what I did there?) have earned some trust from me via their first 3 drafts.

Frankly, they've had very few busts among their top 5 rounders for three years running. This gives me cause for optimism.

In '12, Pead and Rok Watkins were clear busts. But Watkins was a 5th rounder, after all.
In '13, Tavon remains iffy. Neither a hit nor a bust. Jones is also on the fence. Injuries were underestimated, yet he might just be our starting C this year, so who knows?
In '14, Alexander looks iffy. But he was a known to be injured 4th rounder that has since been superseded by Barron. So I dunno his exact status. Might be Barron's '16 replacement?

I think it's fair to say that the remaining 13 picks have been considered good to very good players in their young careers. So, if memory serves, S&F have made 18 picks in their first 3 drafts through round five. Two were clear busts. (Interestingly, both occurred in Snead's first draft where he was forced to utilize the evals of Devaney's scouting dept). Three more are still iffy, but are by no means in bust territory.

So, let's see...

That's 13 good to very good players and one great one from their pick points.
Two clear busts.
Three iffy picks. One a starter, another a possible starter, and the third a ST contributor in his first year after recovering from injury.

Not too bad, huh?

When considered in light of the above, I think we can justify some guarded optimism about our Havenstein, Brown, Mannion, and Donnal picks. At least until opening day.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. Lol.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Concur with liking these draft picks better, I've gone back and watched a lot of film since the draft and have been much more impressed with Havenstein in particular. Big Rob looks like a completely different from some of the earlier pics I had seen of him----the haircut helps too; not sure if he's lost some weight but he looks trimmer/stronger. I feel he'll be a very good run blocker, and the play action will help him a lot with speed rushers----doesn't seem like too much of a "reach" now. Donnal has very good feet and once he gains a little more strength, he'll be a very good tackle for us as well. I think J Brown will start at LG at some point this season. In all, I think we improved the quality of the ol starters and depth as well.
At first I was underwhelmed by our OL picks. In truth, it was probably mostly because they were not the big name "fan favorites" that I had been constantly seen mocked and/or been reading about.

But the more I've learned, the better I like these kids.

Plus, S&F (see what I did there?) have earned some trust from me via their first 3 drafts.

Frankly, they've had very few busts among their top 5 rounders for three years running. This gives me cause for optimism.

In '12, Pead and Rok Watkins were clear busts. But Watkins was a 5th rounder, after all.
In '13, Tavon remains iffy. Neither a hit nor a bust. Jones is also on the fence. Injuries were underestimated, yet he might just be our starting C this year, so who knows?
In '14, Alexander looks iffy. But he was a known to be injured 4th rounder that has since been superseded by Barron. So I dunno his exact status. Might be Barron's '16 replacement?

I think it's fair to say that the remaining 13 picks have been considered good to very good players in their young careers. So, if memory serves, S&F have made 18 picks in their first 3 drafts through round five. Two were clear busts. (Interestingly, both occurred in Snead's first draft where he was forced to utilize the evals of Devaney's scouting dept). Three more are still iffy, but are by no means in bust territory.

So, let's see...

That's 13 good to very good players and one great one from their pick points.
Two clear busts.
Three iffy picks. One a starter, another a possible starter, and the third a ST contributor in his first year after recovering from injury.

Not too bad, huh?

When considered in light of the above, I think we can justify some guarded optimism about our Havenstein, Brown, Mannion, and Donnal picks. At least until opening day.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. Lol.

c

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm very excited. Kind of sucks to play a defense as good as the Seahawks in week 1, but that's life in the NFL.

Even if they struggle, watching young talented ascending players on the OL will be so refreshing compared to watching the struggling, old, past-their-prime players of the last few years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very excited. Kind of sucks to play a defense as good as the Seahawks in week 1, but that's life in the NFL.

Even if they struggle, watching young talented ascending players on the OL will be so refreshing compared to watching the struggling, old, past-their-prime players of the last few years.

Yeah, drawing the Seahawks on opening day is a challenge, Frantik.

But at least it's in our house.

And let's don't forget that Kendricks and Harkey can be helpful, as needed.

iced

i'm just happy there won't be a guard getting over powered/beaten physically consistently