Reason 413 to Fire Spags... Roster Mismanagement.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lots of condemnation for the "mishandling" of the following draft picks this year, so I figured (to the nausea of the board) I'd take a look and see what all the hubbub is. Maybe "letting these potential playmakers leave" WAS a bad idea. Or. Maybe it's not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

5th Round: Jermale Hines
Strong/Free Safety from Ohio State University.
(Release, Panthers and now Colts)

7th Round: Mikail Baker
DB from Baylor University
(IR - drafted for ST)

7th Round: Jabara Williams
LB from Stephen F. Austin
(Released, Bears)

7th Round: Jonathon Nelson
DB from Oklahoma University
(Released, Panthers practice squad)

Injuries have forced the Rams to sacrifice some of their younger players in rounding out the roster this year. That's evident. Some of these players fans claim could have been developed, and as such, the GM and/or coach should shoulder the "blame" for them being on other teams. But. Is it out of the ordinary for late round picks to get pushed around the league before they find a home? Is it out of the ordinary for teams to let go of their late round picks to make room for players who could fill an immediate need? Of course not.

And here's the thing. The Rams drafted them, and they got released. That resulted in criticism. So we must not have a problem with the GM if players drafted in the 7th round are highly coveted. It must be the head coach who let them walk that is the problem. But is he? For those 3 guys that left, here are the UDFA's and OTHER TEAM'S late round picks that are here and either contributing or are on our PS and/or are backups.

UDFA: Darian Stewart
DB University of South Carolina
(Not drafted, starter at safety)
This cancels out all those late rounders who were drafted to be a DB.

UDFA: Tim Atchison
CB Baylor
(IR, had a pretty decent preseason)
This cancels out any any one of those aforementioned guys except Williams

UDFA: Bryan Mattison
OL Iowa State
(Starter for the Rams, signed by Jets, spent time with Ravens)

UDFA: Quinn Porter
RB Stillman College
(Signed by Packers, started for Rams on ST)
Meh. Not a great contributor, but he had to fill in while Amendola was on IR and Norwood was nursing a hammy.

UDFA: Josh Gordy
CB CMU
(Signed by Jags, spent time on Packers PS)
Starter for the Rams, and having a fairly good season. Miss Nelson much? Or Baker?

UDFA: Kevin Hughes
OL Southeastern Louisiana
(Signed by Rams, starting on OL)

UDFA: Nick Miller
WR Southern Utah
(Signed by Raiders [udfa], picked up by Rams)

So this year, the Rams let 3 late round picks leave and had one go on IR early. To counter that, they signed 7 UDFA's who ARE starting or ARE backups. One could go as far to say that UDFA's that make it, or get playing time, pretty much takes the sting out of letting late round picks leave. At worst, it's a straight up wash.

What are the other questionable roster moves? Letting Mardy Gilyard leave. "He could have been developed." Oh yeah? Do we know that? To make up for the gaping void left by Mardy Gilyard, the Rams signed Mark Clayton and Brandon Lloyd. Gilyard is a free agent after the Jets picked him up. If Spagnuolo is so unaware of untapped talent, then surely somebody would have signed him by now. I mean, did you see that excellent pre-draft video of him where he cuts on a dime and can run routes blindfolded? There's a collective stupidity out there if this guy isn't being developed by someone.

How about releasing Donnie Avery? "He had speed." Yep. He sure did. That one confused the hell outta me too. But what is he doing right now? Zero catches for zero yards. Maybe he wasn't as healthy as he led us to believe? I have no idea. Sure the Rams could use his speed, but couldn't Tennessee use it as well? Why do they keep him as an inactive every week? Are they stupid too? The popular school of thought is that you just need to trot him out there and safeties will flock to him like buzzards to a possum carcass. Puzzling to say the least.

Look, I'm not trying to make a ton of excuses here. I'm only pointing out what's going on that often gets ignored. We let late rounders walk, and we pick sign UDFA's (wash). We let "potential playmakers" leave, and they do nothing when they're gone. In some cases, they don't even get signed again. This happens with every team in the league, by the way. I'm not going to enumerate the instances of that because I'm sure everyone is aware that it's a universal truth. For every sack a Larry Grant makes, you get a punt return TD from a Nick Miller. For every tackle Jabara Williams makes (1), you get an interception from Gordy (or in this case ... 2).

I guess what I'm saying is, "Is this really such a big deal?"

Lesson

Oh, really?
Dude, I want Billy D. and Spags to stay here. I think they are going to turn the team around.

Bringing Stewart into this conversation isn't relevant. What about George Selvie? Mattison has barely been a Ram. For every Tim Atchison, there is a Fendi Onobun.

Lesson

Oh, really?
What about the decision to have Darby over Pittman?

How the hell did Darcy Johnson make the roster?

What about Butler?

Didn't Gilyard have a good preseason in 2010, too?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
When you get to 420,,, let mi know Mon.
lol. that one's on the burner. It's the "lack of balls" theory. I'll keep you posted, lion of Judah.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
2011 - 8 draft picks
4 on roster

2010 - 11 draft picks
7 on roster

2009 - 7 draft picks
3 on roster

That's 26 draft picks and 14 on the roster over 3 years......THAT'S HORRIBLE FOR A TEAM WHO'S GAMEPLAN IS BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT

How is it that teams that are better than us can find a spot for a player we cut but we can not.....doesn't make add up to me.

Out of those 3 draft classes we have developed 6 starters.....just 6!

We all can debate certain things....but the incredible mishandling of draft picks and giving up on players within 2 years is inexcusable.

Draft picks are VERY valuable and we wasted 12 in 3 years.....how can we rebuild like that? How can we have depth?
lol. I guess you do have extra time at your J O B, shrimp.

How is it players cut from other Organizations can find a place on the Rams, but can't make it where they were drafted? How is it that we have 5 UDFA's starting, but you only have 6 draft picks "developed as starters"?

It's 15 draft picks from from 2009 on who are on this squad. If you want to count 2008, then it's 18. Not counting UDFA's. Then it's 25. 26 if you count Alexander. If you want to go further and add practice squad acquisitions from other teams, it's more still (Amendola, Gibson, Clemens). You can't have draft picks starting over Jackson, Bell, Long, Hall, Mikell, Bartell, Fletcher, Bradford or Robbins. They can be backups (and they are), but you can't say we "failed" if they're backups by design.

Man, you shit on more threads than a rabbit after a bran muffin.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
UDFA's cost nothing? News to me. I thought they signed contracts as well. I'd think it would be HARDER to find a UDFA starter than it would be to draft one in the 7th round, but what do I know? London Fletcher cost nothing? Kurt Warner? Danario Alexander? Here's the bottom line. All teams part with draft picks in late rounds. All of them. Some of them end up with other teams and start, and some don't. What the Rams have ended up with in 3 drafts (2009-2011) trumps BY A COUNTRY MILE what the previous organization was able to do with 3 drafts (2005-2007). We have 1 player from those drafts (Bartell). ONE. So if you don't see improvement, and you don't want to count the UDFA's that come through here and stick, then you're never going to be satisfied.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I actually said that it isn't a big deal way back when. Cutting 6th, 7th round picks...ehh. Would be nice. Shouldn't expect them to do anything. Well, fans shouldn't expect it anyway.

8 draft picks, 4 on roster.

12 draft picks, 2 traded for backups, 6 on roster.

7 draft picks, 6 on roster.

28 draft picks total, 16 on roster.

That's the Rams' opponent this week, BTW.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
I actually said that it isn't a big deal way back when. Cutting 6th, 7th round picks...ehh. Would be nice. Shouldn't expect them to do anything. Well, fans shouldn't expect it anyway.

Nicely done. You're so crafty, Rammer. :love:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec5cEXCMevI[/youtube]

Lesson

Oh, really?
Lesson said:
Dude, I want Billy D. and Spags to stay here. I think they are going to turn the team around.

Bringing Stewart into this conversation isn't relevant. What about George Selvie? Mattison has barely been a Ram. For every Tim Atchison, there is a Fendi Onobun.

I guess I'm not important.

:=:)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
Lesson said:

I guess I'm not important.

:=:)
Yeah huh! Sorry I got sidetracked by "other posts." I meant to get back to you. Stewart is only relevant in that he was a UDFA in 2010 and he usurped the other guys brought in as potential competition for the safety position (Hines, Williams, Nelson, etc). In order to get starters, you have to breed competition. That's the way I look at it anyway.

And yeah, I forgot about Selvie. Probably forgot about a few guys. Guys who are being groomed to be situational rushers (Sims included). If it all works out, and they're DEVELOPED!!!! lol, then all will be right with the world. It's obvious that the most important part of Spagnuolo's defense is the defensive line. And I think he's doing okay building that. One or two more defensive tackles, and it should be a really stout unit.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RealRamsFan said:
Two different situations.

One is established and contending every year. That team has an existing core and has multiple Super Bowl appearances.

The other team is rebuilding and has had to gut out the previous regime failure of drafting. The other team specifically said their game plan was to builds through the draft.....
The different situation is that the Steelers have the core and depth to be patient and develop low draft picks and UDFAs. And yet they only have a couple more drafted players than the Rams, who have been forced this year to make hard decisions on their low-rounders because of injuries and lost depth.

I can't think of a more relevant comparison.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RealRamsFan said:
Rams don't have a luxury to cut their picks .....vastly under talented team getting higher end draft selections making it crucial for those picks to be used properly to fill their roster ....
What you're saying then is the Rams have no margin for error with draft picks, and that's not a fair situation for anyone.

No, 3 years is not enough time to recreate an NFL roster under the best circumstances. You're asking for perfect storm drafts, expecting 80-90% of their picks to still be on the roster and that's not realistic.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
RealRamsFan said:
Ram Quixote said:
RealRamsFan said:
Two different situations.

One is established and contending every year. That team has an existing core and has multiple Super Bowl appearances.

The other team is rebuilding and has had to gut out the previous regime failure of drafting. The other team specifically said their game plan was to builds through the draft.....
The different situation is that the Steelers have the core and depth to be patient and develop low draft picks and UDFAs. And yet they only have a couple more drafted players than the Rams, who have been forced this year to make hard decisions on their low-rounders because of injuries and lost depth.

I can't think of a more relevant comparison.

Steelers have a luxury to cut their picks .....highly talented team getting lower end draft selections make it harder for those picks to make their roster.

Rams don't have a luxury to cut their picks .....vastly under talented team getting higher end draft selections making it crucial for those picks to be used properly to fill their roster .....

If you, and others, want to say We are drafting and developing our players correctly go ahead ....while you're at it, ask Santa to bring me a case of Bud this year.

Yup. Which is why they keep trying to fix their OL ever since Faneca left. Or better CB play outside Ike. Oh and replacing an aging James Farrior. Oh and finding a successor for Casey Hampton. And his backup who just retired. And better safety depth.

They have a mirage of problems, too.

X said:
Angry Ram said:

Nicely done. You're so crafty, Rammer. :love:

:gay: :nau: :gay: :nau:

I always wanted to use those. :ww: