Reading between the lines at the Rams' pre-draft presser/HB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Reading between the lines at the Rams' pre-draft presser
By Howard Balzer
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...at-the-st-louis-rams-pre-draft-presser-042915

ST. LOUIS -- It has been a part of the NFL Draft process for years. Call it what you will: misinformation, blowing smoke or outright falsehoods. It is as much a part of what happens in the run-up to the draft as players doing dumb things that affect their draft status. (Lookin' at you, Shane Ray.)

Of course, it seems larger than ever because of the hundreds of millions of words said and written about the draft in this age of 24-hour sports networks, the Internet, social media and endless mock drafts.

And while many teams play along, there are some that don't care for it. During the Pittsburgh Steelers' pre-draft media conference, general manager Kevin Colbert was outspoken in ridiculing those teams that put out counterintelligence in the hope it will result in certain players rising or falling to their advantage.

"I think it's horrible," Colbert said. "I think it's really bad for our profession when people use whatever means they use to get information out to try to influence the draft and they talk about a kid's test score, a kid's injury, a kid's character. I think that's awful. It's disrespectful to our profession, it's disrespectful to the game, it's disrespectful to the kid.

"We really don't pay attention to it. We don't believe in mock drafts and what people are saying about other teams because so much of it is misinformation. You'd just lose your mind trying to figure out what everyone's going to do. We're going to be true to what we do and feel good about it and live with it."

Of course, not all teams take that approach, so it's best to ignore much of what teams are saying heading into the draft. After all, there's a reason we watch the draft every year and find ourselves shaking our heads and saying, "I didn't see that coming."

Which brings us to the Rams. Coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead conducted their annual pre-draft get-together with the media Tuesday afternoon, and like with most teams, it's not a bad idea to read between the lines a bit.

To that end, we present our whimsical look at What He Said and What He Meant.

What He Said

Snead on the amount of research provided by the personnel staff and coaches: "I asked our computer people last night ... you basically take every bit of information you've got. You put it on a page on a PDF and you put it on a big screen and we talk about that information. I said, 'How many pages did we go through?' They said it's over 8,000 pages over the last three weeks of information. It's in a big font so we can all see it."

What He Meant

Hey, we have to be speed readers in this business. After all, 8,000 pages over three weeks breaks down to 381 pages a day (if everyone worked all 21 days), and 38 pages per hour if they were in meetings for 10 hours a day. It's a wonder anyone has any eyesight left ... even with a large font.

What He Said

Snead, on how much, if at all, he monitors the outside chatter surrounding the draft: "There's over 8,000 pages of chatter out there. So, you can't really pay attention to that because you're locked in a room meeting with all the football people, all the coaches, the medical staff, and you're trying to get your board right."

What He Meant

Some of those 8,000 pages were actually mock drafts so the Rams could see if anyone has their first-round pick nailed. It's also a good thing no one asked Snead how many mock drafts he believes have been published since January. He probably would have said 8,000. Or maybe 80,000.

What He Said

After Fisher said the draft is "loaded at some positions, specifically some positions of need," the question was asked if the Rams would identify some of those loaded positions. Said Snead: "Wow, that would be a kind of tough one there. Punters and kickers are loaded. I'll leave it at that."

What He Meant

Are you kidding me? Do you think we are going to acknowledge our needs? We can book this: Punters and kickers aren't loaded. Even Snead admitted later, "Other than kicker and punter, we felt early on in the process that there were some quality offensive linemen in this draft." So, even Snead shows he can play his own version of What He Said and What He Meant.

What He Said

Fisher on still not feeling any panic over the current status of the offensive line: "Yeah, I feel good about it. I feel good about the direction we're headed, and I'll feel much better when the weekend is over. I feel good about it. We have options, and there are still options out there. We're in constant communication with (unsigned right tackle) Joe Barksdale, for example. We have options out there. I think one of the perceived needs out there, outside our building from our perspective is O-line, and we feel good about where we are right now. We've got some good young players on our roster that you've not seen play or haven't played very much, but we're developing players currently on our roster. We feel good about it."

What He Meant

We haven't seen some of those young guys play because they aren't good enough or have been injured. But we sure can't count on them. Fisher can repeat over and over that "I feel good about the direction we're headed," but the team's true intention is reflected in his simple words above that: "I'll feel much better when the weekend is over."

What They Said

Fisher and Snead were asked about the possibility of selecting an edge rusher -- considered a strong position in this draft -- with the 10th overall choice. Fisher: "It's very possible, yes. We like defensive players here. Good defensive players. Can't get enough." Would you find a way to get that edge rusher on the field? Fisher: "Yes. We would. Week 1." Said Snead, "Pressure, pressure, pressure."

What They Meant

On this one, they meant every word of it. With Chris Long having reached age 30 in March and William Hayes set to on Saturday, another young pass rusher can't be discounted. Happy birthday, William.

Lookin' good! Flip through our photo album of NFL cheerleaders.

What He Said

Fisher, responding to a scenario in which the team won't take a quarterback in the early rounds of the draft: "Well, there's a possibility to take a quarterback or not take a quarterback. It really depends on how things unfold. Aside from the top two, which I think everyone assumes will be gone, there are some players in this draft that can come in and help you. We're very excited about what we've seen here the last week and a half with Nick (Foles) and what he's done in the offseason program. I think we're better at the position. We're healthy right now and there's some good things ahead as far as that's concerned. It doesn't mean to say there's not a guy at a certain point that we like that we can pass up."

What He Meant

We didn't acquire Foles to then bring in someone who could be viewed as instant competition. We brought him here to be our guy because "it's the personality. It's the competitiveness. It's the leadership qualities that he has" -- Fisher's actual comment when asked what he has seen from Foles that he likes.

What He Said

Fisher on possible flexibility with the 10th pick: "We could move up, stay where we are or move down. We have options."

What He Meant

We won't pass.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams remain open to all options for draft
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17981/rams-remain-open-to-all-options

BRISTOL, Conn. -- In the annual dodgeball game that is the pre-draft news conference, St. Louis Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead didn't offer many clues to what they have planned for the 2015 NFL draft.

It's the same approach being taken all over the country by 31 NFL teams and all part of the misdirection that often takes place at this time of the year. So, when Fisher and Snead were asked about what they had planned, they provided the answer you would expect.

Jeff Fisher
Jeff Fisher & Co. aren't giving away any hints about who they'll pick at the No. 10 spot during Thursday's first round of the NFL draft.
"We could move up, stay where we are or move down," Fisher said. "We have options."

Now that that's been cleared up, the next task is to use some deductive reasoning to figure out what might be most realistic. Fisher and Snead received plenty of questions on Tuesday afternoon but the answers remained the same from earlier in the offseason.

Of those, the most pressing issue remains the offensive line. At the NFL owners meetings in March, Fisher said he was unconcerned about a line that comes stocked with question marks. Greg Robinson is penciled in as the starting left tackle and Rodger Saffold figures to start at one of the guard spots.

From there, the Rams have options at center with Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney and Tim Barnes. It's entirely possible one of those guys could start in the middle but only Barnes has any real playing experience in the NFL, so the Rams would be rolling the dice by banking on one of them.

That leaves two spots open, one at guard and one at right tackle. Fisher again reiterated the team is interested in bringing Joe Barksdale back, but clearly that's not going to happen before the draft, so it's possible the team has an eye on a potential replacement. And the team still needs a starter at guard with free agent Justin Blalock looming available.

Either way, Fisher and Snead still seem to be comfortable with how the offensive line situation is going to sort out.

"I feel good about it," Fisher said. "I feel good about the direction we're headed, and I'll feel much better when the weekend is over. I feel good about it. We have options, and there are still options out there. We're in constant communication with Joe Barksdale, for example. We have options out there. I think one of the perceived needs out there, outside our building from our perspective is O-line, and we feel good about where we are right now. We've got some good young players on our roster that you've not seen play or haven't played very much but we're developing players currently on our roster. We feel good about it."

While the Rams might believe they have some good young offensive linemen in place, Fisher is likely referring to the previously mentioned trio of centers. Otherwise, that would probably qualify as mostly coach speak.

At this point, it's pretty clear the Rams will be spending plenty of time looking at offensive linemen as the draft rolls on. They brought in more than a dozen college linemen during the pre-draft process and players such as Iowa's Brandon Scherff, Stanford's Andrus Peat and Miami's Ereck Flowers figure prominently in the discussion at No. 10.

And it wouldn't surprise if the Rams went for another offensive lineman on day two with names such as Duke guard Laken Tomlinson, South Carolina guard A.J. Cann and Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings as a few possibilities.

Regardless, it's clear the Rams believe they can patch many of their offensive line holes via the draft.

"You can rate the quality, but we felt depending on whether it's an 'A guy, B guy,' whatever it is, we thought there was a lot of linemen that could help any football team," Snead said. "I think that was a little bit of a guidepost as we went into the offseason."

As always, the Rams are open for business, though Snead offered his go-to line at this time of year Tuesday, saying the team is in the "flirting" stage of trade talks. There's no obvious choice that realistically figures to be available when they pick at No. 10 overall, which could mean they're left hoping for a trade down option. Given their recent history, a trade up can't be ruled out, either. After all, they've made four first-round trades in the past three years.

Either way, Snead and Fisher believe that no matter the avenue they choose to explore, they will be coming out with someone to help the team.

"When you're picking 10, there's going to be more than one good football player that you're staring at, just that's the nature of picking 10 versus somewhere a little bit later," Snead said. "There's flexibility and you fine tune it and like we said, best player available -- that's probably subjective based on what draftnik you ask and not counting the teams out there. Normally, at 10 there's going to be more than one good football player and I think at that point we'll try to make the best pick that helps this team."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams Have Zero Intention of Tipping Their Hand with Draft Strategy
By Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/04/29/rams-brass-speak-broad-strokes-draft/

Team leaders are notoriously tight-lipped during pre-draft press conferences. The Rams’ recent get-together was no exception.

While not revealing much during Tuesday’s meeting at Rams Park, GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher did mention they are always open to wheeling and dealing this time of year.

“You always get calls this time of year. I don’t know if it’s because teams really want to do something or they want to figure out what you’re going to do,” Snead said. “I think I mentioned it last year, we’re at the flirting stage of just chatting with other GM’s. I’m sure Coach (has) with other coaches around the league. You kind of try to figure out what each is going to do.”

The Rams’ GM admitted his team’s unpredictability in prior drafts.

“I think this is going to be the fourth draft; we’ve moved up, we’ve moved back, we’ve stayed put. So, there will be some type of pattern set this year. I don’t know what it will be, but we’ll figure it out.”

Coach Fisher, tongue-in-cheek, offered more clarity on the team’s strategy, saying “We could move up, stay where we are, or move down. We have options.”

Observers notice a current lack of offensive linemen, notably at center, right guard, and right tackle. Fisher said he feels good about the line right now and noted options he and Snead have through the draft, free agency, and from within.

“I feel good about the direction we’re headed, and I’ll feel much better when the weekend is over. We have options, and there are still options out there. We’re in constant communication with (tackle) Joe Barksdale, for example.” Fisher said.

“I think one of the perceived needs out there, outside our building from our perspective is O-line, and we feel good about where we are right now. We’ve got some good young players on our roster that you’ve not seen play or haven’t played very much but we’re developing players currently on our roster. We feel good about it.”

“We felt early on in the process there were some quality offensive linemen in this draft. Now you can rate the quality, depending on whether it’s an A guy, B guy, whatever it is,” Snead added. “But we thought there’s a lot of linemen that could help any football team. So that was a little bit of a guidepost as we went into the offseason.”

The Rams used 12 of the allowed 30 private workouts on college offensive linemen, which could hint toward their thinking considering the holes on the right side. Barksdale is currently testing free agency, but has yet to be signed and Fisher couldn’t offer a reason why the tackle is without a team.

“Yeah, we have interest in Joe. Things may not have worked out for them from the perspective of what they thought was going to happen. But, we have interest in Joe because he played some good football for us.” Fisher said.

The Rams worked out five quarterbacks as well, raising the question of if Jeff Fisher could see a scenario of his team not taking a QB in the opening rounds.

“Well, there’s a possibility to take a quarterback or not take a quarterback,” Fisher said with a smirk. “It really depends on how things unfold. Aside from the top two, which I think everyone assumes will be gone, there are some players in this draft that can come in and help you.”

The Rams’ coach said his team’s acquisition of former Eagles quarterback Nick Foles provides the team with some security at the position.

“We’re very excited about what we’ve seen here the last week and a half with Nick and what he’s done in the offseason program. I think we’re better at the position.” Fisher added. “We’re healthy right now and there’s some good things ahead as far as that’s concerned. It doesn’t mean to say there’s not a guy at a certain point that we like that we can pass up.”

Fisher discussed the debate of drafting according to a team’s needs versus taking the best available player without saying too much about which side he and Snead stand.

“We identified needs immediately after the season was over. We addressed some of those needs in free agency, be it players that weren’t on our roster or re-signing players on our roster.” Fisher said. “We’ve strongly identified needs. But those needs, they vary. But, we have a good feel for, I think, how things are going to unfold and how we can fill the needs.”

One spot the Rams have drafted heavily is edge rushers. Any chance that could happen again this year?

“It’s very possible, yes.” Fisher said smiling. “We like defensive players here. Good defensive players. Can’t get enough.”

Would the coach find a way to get another rusher on the field?

“Yes. We would. Week 1.” Fisher said.

“Pressure, pressure, pressure,” Snead added.