RB Ganaway hopes to see action vs. Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/rams-update-rb-ganaway-hopes-to-see-action-vs-packers/article_2998751d-4e61-5bc2-b088-f971ecba9a83.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... a9a83.html</a>
Rams update: RB Ganaway hopes to see action vs. Packers
Hopefully this is the week for Terrance Ganaway.

A year ago, after being claimed off waivers just before the start of the season, Ganaway, a 6-foot-1, 240-pound running back from Baylor, saw special-teams action in three games with the Rams.

But he's had no carries or receptions in a St. Louis uniform.

Last week in Cleveland, Ganaway dressed and warmed up but was a surprise scratch due to a lingering hamstring issue.

“I definitely wanted to be out there, but the Rams and myself thought it was better that I didn't go out there and take a chance on aggravating the injury,'' he said. “No question, it's frustrating because you just want to go out and play ball. But you also have to be honest with yourself; instead of risking it, we just felt I'd be better off taking a little more time to hopefully get ready for Green Bay.''

The Rams and Packers square Saturday night at 7 at the Edward Jones Dome.

Ganaway, who set or tied 12 school records at Baylor, is one of the key players in the wide-open mix at running back along with Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Benjamin Cunningham and Chase Reynolds.

“Injuries happen, it's part of football. But I try not to worry about what I can't control,'' he said. “Every time I step on the field, I can control what I do, knowing the playbook and being able to go fast. The competition is there, but that's also part of the game.

“Each of us are great running backs or else we wouldn't be here with the Rams. Whenever we get your chance, we just gotta be ready, regardless of where we are on the depth chart.''

Ganaway is confident he'll be ready to go Saturday and it anxious to make an impact.

“I just have to be a physical back, bring that physical presence,'' he said. “If the Rams wanted a guy to come in and be a skilled back, it wouldn't be me. I know what I bring to the table and now I just have to go out and play some ball.''

T. JENKINS' DEBUT?

Tim Jenkins, a rookie free agent quarterback, got some work late in team drills Thursday, scoring on a scramble around right end during a two-minute drive to close out the practice.

“Just tried to run as fast as I could without falling over,'' the 22-year-old from Fort Lewis College in Colorado said. “It was a blast, getting a chance to get out there during team. Any time you can get out there and get live reps, it's awesome.

“I'm hanging in there, trying to focus so that I can learn as much as I can from the older guys.''

Will Jenkins, who is learning daily from fellow QBs Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens and Austin Davis, see the field on Saturday night?

“They said maybe a series or two either this week or the next week,'' he said.

RAM-BLINGS

Longtime NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, the father of Rams' offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, spent has Thursday and Friday at Rams camp.

“We talk quite a bit, a couple of times a week, for sure,'' Brian said. “He's here for all the home games. He's always a good voice of reason after a tough loss and obviously someone who's very supportive. I bounce a lot of things off him, have a lot of respect for him and loved coaching with him.

“It's fun to let him come out and see some of the guys he competed against like (assistant head coach) Dave McGinnis, (offensive line coach) Paul Boudreau and those guys. He has a lot of fun telling stories.''

But the trip to St. Louis has been no vacation trip for the elder Schottenheimer, who served as head coach with the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers.

“We're moving into a new house. I'm actually making him work,'' Brian said. “He's moving some boxes and stuff like that, so I'm putting him to work, which is kind of fun.''

• Pete Prisco of CBSSports stopped by Rams Park on Friday and plans to get a look at the Packers Saturday night.

• DE Eugene Sims (family matter) has missed some recent practices and will miss the Green Bay game. He's expected to return to practice on Monday. Injured players sitting out Friday's light workout were right tackle Rodger Saffold (shoulder), tight end Lance Kendricks (knee), defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo (foot), safety Matt Giordano (calf), running back Zac Stacy (soreness), LB Jabara Williams (hamstring), defensive end/linebacker Sammy Brown (calf) and tackle Sean Hooey (ankle).